Who else is keeping theirs?

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Keeping mine. I actually bought it back in August 2016, but figured I'd at least have a few years to enjoy my first diesel. Since then I have opt'd to keep mine, and have taken advantage of others parting their accessories. When VW finds the fix, I'll just reload my Kerma tune back in. Driving it hard and still returning 38mpg, something undoable in anything else.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Keeping mine. I actually bought it back in August 2016.............Driving it hard and still returning 38mpg, something undoable in anything else.
Granted, TDI fuel numbers are impressive.

Looking at Fuelly.com I find the new Honda 1.5/6M hatch/wagon wannabe is showing some impressive numbers.

This car now shares my short list with Golf Alltrack 6M and GSW 1.8/5M.

Like most of us, the diesel will be remembered for setting the bar MPG-wise.

ez

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Custom - Funky Green. 99 NB TDI, 06 Jetta TDI
Yep, there are a few compacts getting 40+ nowadays. I've looked at the Ford Focus hatch a few times...seems like it would be a nice daily. I'm not sure how much fun that 1.5 Honda would be, but it might be surprising.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yep, there are a few compacts getting 40+ nowadays. I've looked at the Ford Focus hatch a few times...seems like it would be a nice daily. I'm not sure how much fun that 1.5 Honda would be, but it might be surprising.
The Honda 1.5 is turbocharged and should at least compare to the VW 1.4 TSI which is itself an excellent little mill with decent low-end torque.

Tom109

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, White
2003 Jetta Wagon 5spd, still daily driving it, and in a few months my son will take it over. 241k miles so far...

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice! I've always loved the MKIV ALH. I had a 99.5, 5 speed. Drove it to 292k miles and it was still going strong when I sold it. Now the INTERIOR was falling apart... haha... but the motor and tranny (and ORIGINAL clutch!) were all going strong. That car might still be on the road, who knows?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Nice! I've always loved the MKIV ALH. I had a 99.5, 5 speed. Drove it to 292k miles and it was still going strong when I sold it. Now the INTERIOR was falling apart... haha... but the motor and tranny (and ORIGINAL clutch!) were all going strong. That car might still be on the road, who knows?
My oldest son just bought a used Mk IV, a 2003 wagon. Alas, 2.slow gasser. 260k km. Diesels of the same age were either twice the price, or were up around 400k km. He only paid $1900 for it. Some rust but runs well, and the interior is still decent.

It was cheaper to get that, than to fix the blown transmission on his B5.5 Passat TDI which had 300k on it and had *serious* rust issues (due mostly to poor accident repairs; it was previously my car then my wife's). He complains about the gutlessness of the 2.slow...

I also had two Mk IVs myself, a 99.5 5-speed and a '04 PD wagon. The 99.5 was a lemon, as were many early Mk IVs, but the '04 was reliable but was alas totalled at 110k km. Of all the VWs we've owned (8, including current '16 Golf and '17 Golf Sportwagen), the '04 wagon was our favourite; 1300 km per tank, fun to drive, practical.

respond2us

Veteran Member
TDI
I am keeping mine. Dropped it off today for the "Fix".
Did mine last week, then drove 1200 miles to Vegas. Have noticed zero difference. No more noise, fuel economy seems to be the same, etc. Got a Malone Stage 2 tune on the way.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
I will be keeping my 2010 Jetta.
The buyback offer is ~$13k and I can't replace this car for that money.
I'll ride out the warranty with the fix as is until my next timing belt service at 230k (misread service schedule and did TB @ 110k instead of 120k) and then it's on like donkykong.
EGR or/and DPF delete, tune, maybe upgrade turbo, maybe CP3 HPFP (stock HPFP has been 100% for 160k)
The $5100 will sit in savings until that time to pay for the fun stuff.

Snowyroad

TDI
2014 Jetta TDi
Definitely keeping. Getting the "fix" and the handout which will put a good dent in my auto loan. It's just such a great car. Drives like a Porsche with the mileage of a hybrid. You can't beat that. It will be very sad if VW never makes another TDi to sell in the US. It's the perfect balance of performance, power, and economy. What really irks me about the whole emissions thing is even if the Diesel engine's emissions are higher than most other cars, its emitting at half the rate of the others due to the high MPG. Doesn't that balance out in the long run?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Definitely keeping. Getting the "fix" and the handout which will put a good dent in my auto loan. It's just such a great car. Drives like a Porsche with the mileage of a hybrid. You can't beat that. It will be very sad if VW never makes another TDi to sell in the US. It's the perfect balance of performance, power, and economy. What really irks me about the whole emissions thing is even if the Diesel engine's emissions are higher than most other cars, its emitting at half the rate of the others due to the high MPG. Doesn't that balance out in the long run?
That's only the case for CO2. NOx emissions are not tied to fuel economy. We all know diesels are great for CO2. For NOx not so much, and therein lies the reason for dieselgate.

In any case my TSI gasser consumes about 20% more fuel than the TDI it replaced under my driving conditions, and as diesel contains 10% more carbon than gasoline, the CO2 émissions aren't that much more, but NOx is way better even after the TDI fix which improves emissions but still makes them over regs.

And the torque curve ain't that bad, with more HP.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's only the case for CO2. NOx emissions are not tied to fuel economy. We all know diesels are great for CO2. For NOx not so much, and therein lies the reason for dieselgate.
Actually, the tdi has lower emissions of all types except NOx as compared to the tsi. E.g., particulates, CO, CO2, hydrocarbons, etc.

Severn Wes

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2 Door Manual
I opted for the buyback on my 2011 Golf TDI. I replaced it with a 2017 GTI S with six speed manual. To me it was a no brainer since I was getting back $18.6 K for a 7 year old car with 70K miles. The difference in the power and the handling of the GTI compared to the TDI is off the charts. More horsepower, same torque, better interior, better sound system, much better handling, greater acceleration plus I can fill up the gasser anywhere I please. With the TDI, I got so superstitious that I would only fill it up at one station. Thoughts of HPFP failure were always in the back of my mind. I really enjoyed my TDI, but in my humble opinion, the GTI is a better car and more fun to drive.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I opted for the buyback on my 2011 Golf TDI. I replaced it with a 2017 GTI S with six speed manual. To me it was a no brainer since I was getting back $18.6 K for a 7 year old car with 70K miles. The difference in the power and the handling of the GTI compared to the TDI is off the charts. More horsepower, same torque, better interior, better sound system, much better handling, greater acceleration plus I can fill up the gasser anywhere I please. With the TDI, I got so superstitious that I would only fill it up at one station. Thoughts of HPFP failure were always in the back of my mind. I really enjoyed my TDI, but in my humble opinion, the GTI is a better car and more fun to drive.
Did the same, though I opted for the "sport" trim... The GTI is indeed a HUGE upgrade in so many ways over the TDI. When driven like a grandma keeping it around 55-60mph I've gotten high 30's mpg too :cool:

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Just picked it up today after the fix and drove City streets, the interstate at 75, and a two lane highway and it feels like it picked up a few hp especially on boost. Even if I lose a couple of mpg, it's extra spunk is worth it. What a relief it doesn't drive like a dog. Whew. i really like the way it drives and slaloms the corners so am happy to keep it. Checked out the new Alltrack while at the dealer and it really bugged me the rear seats couldn't be folded down flat since I haul lots of stuff in mine. Had a new Passat as a loaner and it felt like an oversized Jetta with an analogue clock. VW seems to go out of their way to have the same spartan utilitarian dash in all their cars. Bet they are trying to drive people upscale to Audis for nicer interiors.

Have an oil leak on the passenger side dripping down over the intercooler charge pipe. When at the dealer they tracked it down to a cracked oil supply pipe to the turbo. There are a few threads on it here if you search. The replacement is $135.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Did the same, though I opted for the "sport" trim... The GTI is indeed a HUGE upgrade in so many ways over the TDI. When driven like a grandma keeping it around 55-60mph I've gotten high 30's mpg too :cool:
I agree that a GTI is a great car and I'm sure that's what I'll choose when the time comes, but I don't think it's a no brainer to do it now. My Golf TDI is amazing. I have 152,000 miles on mine. I upgraded to the CP3 pump, so that worry is over. And my car was loaded in 2010, with the RNS-510 and Dynaudio sound, so I'm not suffering with second-rate sound or functionality. I know the newest tech is a bit quicker and the backup camera would be nice, but you have to add a lot of cash to get into a new GTI. Mine would have to be an Autobahn. Then that car depreciates in a hurry.

For me, keeping the car seemed like a much better way to go. My Golf is just too good to give it up just yet! But one of these days, a GTI will be the replacement. It will likely be an MK8 or even an MK9! For those of you that already made the switch, at the time when I start seriously looking at a new GTI, I wonder if you'll be looking at a new car too.

Good luck with your new GTIs!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I agree that a GTI is a great car and I'm sure that's what I'll choose when the time comes, but I don't think it's a no brainer to do it now. My Golf TDI is amazing. I have 152,000 miles on mine. I upgraded to the CP3 pump, so that worry is over. And my car was loaded in 2010, with the RNS-510 and Dynaudio sound, so I'm not suffering with second-rate sound or functionality. I know the newest tech is a bit quicker and the backup camera would be nice, but you have to add a lot of cash to get into a new GTI. Mine would have to be an Autobahn. Then that car depreciates in a hurry.
For me, keeping the car seemed like a much better way to go. My Golf is just too good to give it up just yet! But one of these days, a GTI will be the replacement. It will likely be an MK8 or even an MK9! For those of you that already made the switch, at the time when I start seriously looking at a new GTI, I wonder if you'll be looking at a new car too.
Good luck with your new GTIs!
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. My '11 golf has 153k miles and I'd really like to take it up to 300k. Also have the 6mt with cp3 pump. I very nearly bought a '17 gti, but I'm glad I held off. I don't track my car, and it's more than quick enough with 200 hp. I figure when I'm ready for a new car in five years there'll be some cool new tech on the market. In the meantime 45 mpg highway is hard to beat.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
I also think adding the CP3 pump is a no-brainer for those who are keeping their TDIs.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Spot on! I am on CP3 since 240k miles and now chugging flawlessly at 263k miles today. Averaging 55-60 mpg wih no A/C on. Best mod I ever done. Look forward to stage 3.5 or stage 4 kit. (Havent decided on which)

I also think adding the CP3 pump is a no-brainer for those who are keeping their TDIs.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......I figure when I'm ready for a new car in five years there'll be some cool new tech on the market. In the meantime 45 mpg highway is hard to beat.[/QUOTE

Five years would seem high - based on my 2017's observed fuel numbers

Lord know my 2013 JSW TDI 6M set the bar (for me).

But this new challenger - on a green engine now - is looking good.

best to all,

ez

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
How long do I have to make up my mind to FIX or buyback? (yes I am fully registered)
You have until September 1st, 2018 to file/complete the claim, and I believe you must return the car by December of 2018. This is from memory, so check the official VW site. Or here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2016/10/vw-buybacks-and-lease-terminations-begin

I just received my paperwork this past Friday. I will send a signed & notarized agreement back today and then find out when my buyback appointment will be.

I have loads of added parts that I will be removing and selling soon. PM me if you want an advance list. :-(

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Took the car in for the fix on Wednesday. Post fix, noticed maybe a louder idle? Nothing much else is different as far as I can tell! The my MPG was maybe less than normal driving home (45 min) from the dealership, but that may be due to the heavy traffic.

To dieselgate and beyond!

Next on the list: 100K service... then Timing belt/ water pump/ coolant flush in the spring!

Jabbott

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT SEL Silk, 2012 JSW toffee
keeping until the last minute, maintenance question

Not sure if this is the best thread but it looks active.

I have a 2012 sportwagen with 128K. I leased a 2015 TDI to replace my 2012 for when I take the buyback at last possible moment. The 2015 currently resides in my garage awaiting lease buyout with the proceeds of our 2012 sometime after August 2018.

My question- I am quickly approaching the scheduled maintenance point for the timing belt. I have already skipped the 120K DGS service and plan to do one more dealer oil change until the buyback. Is there any serious likelihood of failure if I skip the timing belt for another 10K miles? (is there any built in safety confidence level on the timing belt to account for hard use?)

We drive the car about 85% highway mileage and we baby it. I am still running the original brakes. Thanks for any advice!