How to check if Passat is actually chainless?

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
I tried searching.

I am no newb to TDIs, ive had beetles, 2 jettas and 2 golfs. I only have 1 golf right now and I am looking to add a Passat to my fleet.

Owner claims it has 193k miles, maint' records for all fluid changes, ''balance shaf t upgrade'' done by a local tdi shop, genuine vw reman tranny replaced 20k ago (previous started slipping) receipt of cost and labor available, timing belt done 20k ago by the same shop, with parts purchased from an online tdi store (couldn't remember the name?)

Anyways, my main concern here is to actually confirm the car has the shaft upgrade (or delete?). I do plan on bringing my VCDS tool tomorrow if it helps.

Sorry if I sound like a newb, I really dont know anything about Passats but have taken enough time to read and know what their common problems are.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Short of pulling the pan, you can listen to it and trust the receipts are correct. Vag-Com will not help to determine this.

Where in TX/MX are you?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I had two 2005 Passats and did the BSM on one. There is no way to tell with a VCDS. MoGolf had a thread on how the dipstick reacts with the new assembly in place vs, the old BSM. Had something to do with the "feel" the last inch or so going into the tube. Do a search, you may find it.

Other than that, the engine will be quieter, receipts are always a good thing to see if the parts were at lest purchased.

The only other guaranteed way is to drop the pan or pull the timing and lower cover, all of which is no fun.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
The dipstick goes through a hole in the bsm
The hole on a chained bsm is smaller than the geared one.
You can feel the difference when pushing the dipstick in.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
But he doesn't have one side by side to check.

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Ya I know what you mean but the stick just drops in right to the bottom instead of having to push the last few inches if that helps

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
The dipstick tube is tight or you may have a chained BSM. Not having the experience, I doubt you will be able to tell. Most people could not and it's not a for sure sign either.

If you have paperwork saying it's been done, go with that. If you don't, assume it has not been done.

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
Do you think I can see it with a cable camera? ( like the ones mechanics use to see in tight spaces)

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Sorry I forgot to check my records man. I'm going to pop by the shop tomorrow on my way to MotoGP. I'll see if I can find that invoice.

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
Sorry I forgot to check my records man. I'm going to pop by the shop tomorrow on my way to MotoGP. I'll see if I can find that invoice.
No problem, I know you are a very busy guy. I look forward to have my timing belt done by you on this car or my golf.

Thanks!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If you had a frequency spectrum analyzer, the chain generates a high frequency sound band that to the ear sounds like a drummer swishing brushes on a cymbal. The gear drive does not.

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
I'm waiting his response.
Just to follow up:

No record was found on the BSM upgrade done, and it was back in 2010. So my only proof is an invoice billed to Meyerhoff Autohaus for all the parts needed for a BSM upgrade, with OEM parts. I feel confident that this car was properly taken care of, since engine sounds very healthy for 195k miles, not a single hiccup or loose chain sound, and VCDS shows no codes.

The only problem so far is that it needs both driver side window clips. Thats about it.

Only mods I look to install is a tune, and a manual swap if the auto trans quits.

Heres a pic of my Passat.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
good idea to mark them, should be able to find a star stamp. three gears in a circle

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I don't see how a mark on the oil pan would give you more confidence than an invoice for parts. It's a lot easier to mark an oil pan than to buy parts.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
High strength ABS transparent front seal carrier and oil pan should be included with every BSM kit.

I'd also like to get a top cover for my injection pump made of the same material. Ooooh, and a valve cover...oooh might as well make transmission cases clear too! That'd be sweet!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
High strength ABS transparent front seal carrier and oil pan should be included with every BSM kit.

I'd also like to get a top cover for my injection pump made of the same material. Ooooh, and a valve cover...oooh might as well make transmission cases clear too! That'd be sweet!
Anything is possible.