Need different fuel stations cetane rating

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
I'm reading so much on cetane ratings. Seem to me just like octane (to a point) higher cetane better your diesel car/truck runs.
What I'm asking is ,I use Sunoco diesel they have a sh*t
ty 42 cetane rating. What would be other stations cetane, example.. Hess, BP, Gulf, Exxon, Ammco, Mobil, etc. Please input where you buy fuel and Cetane rating.

Daveyracing Palisades Park NJ Sunoco 42 cetane
Bartonsville PA Truck stop 45 cetane

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
I thought the pump needed to have that little baby sticker on it by law! The 2 stations I go to have that sticker.

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
So your saying the Sunoco that I go to may not be the 42 cetane. Could be lower or higher then. I do get some smoke, other times I don't. That stinks then. How is Hess? I heard very good. Keep in mind I pay $1.23 a gallon, I would not mind to do more with a higher cetane. Anything $1.40 and up is then crazy.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
I tested my fuel once. I'm a chemist in a petroleum analytical lab. It was 49.? (I forget exactly). This is the ONLY place I get fuel. But don't forget that this is only one test.

It's a Conoco station in Houston--corner of HWY 3 & Nasa Rd 1.

Jim

edited for this info: the Sulfur ppm was about 250+

[ August 15, 2002, 10:14: Message edited by: jettajim ]

dj

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2001 Golfs, 2002 Golf, 2006 Jetta
I don't think it is mandatory to post the cetane rating on the pump. But if it isn't posted, it's probably a C-40. C42 doesn't do much for you.

I don't know where you are in New Jersey, but if you are close to Route 46 between the turnpike and the GWB, there is a Hess station accessible from the east bound lane that has Hess premium (I don't recall if it's C45 or C48). That station has both diesels, so you have to get the pump with the high cetane label. The Hess 'regular' diesel is a C-42. It got the worst fuel milage of any diesel I've used...But the premium is good.

I think you'll find stations with higher cetane fuel will have it labeled.

dj

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
Conoco station , I hear allot, none around jersey.
Hess station, there are 2 on Rt. 46, so dj. your right. I have to look into this. You guys know when there is a station 1 mile away from your home you tend to go to that one all the time. There
is a upside to it, the guys all know me now so I pump my own fuel, so I can vent etc.