Who got the payment from BOSCH?

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I called Bosch today (7/3/17) and they said that I'm in the system but they've not mailed my check yet. You're not alone!
Thanks! I dislike calling on the phone. :) I don't have trust worthy mail carriers in my area. Constantly placing mail in the wrong box and "opened" packages. Of course, they take no responsibility either. Thanks again, I'll keep a look out for the check.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I called Bosch today (7/3/17) and they said that I'm in the system but they've not mailed my check yet. You're not alone!
Same here. In the system, but they cannot provide any additional info.
You'd think seeing how they would have access to the email address form the VW claims portal, they would shoot out an email a week before the check is mailed.
How many people have moved since the VW claim has been received and the address on file is wrong.

M

McCarthy

I just called that number. Entirely worthless. They make you sit through an ass long automated announcement telling you everything you already know and when you finally get a live person on the line, they take all your info in, make you wait again, just to be read a piece of paper telling you the same crap over again.

Bottom-line: they cannot tell you if the check was sent, or when it will be send.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Save the letter that comes with it. It implies income tax consequences.
Hi Gulfcoastguy... Anyway you can post a copy of that letter. Seems strange it would imply a tax liability as the payments from the VW settlement were not considered taxable income per the verbiage in the court settlement.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
It's just a CYA one-liner that Bosch throws in with the check. It says, "You should consult with a tax advisor to determine the tax consequences, if any, that the distribution may have for you."

I don't recall anything in the VW settlement discussing tax liability. I haven't read the Bosch settlement, and don't have any expertise in the field to know if what's been discussed on this forum with respect to the buyback and taxes would also apply to Bosch. I'd suspect it's different, because unlike the buyback money, we're not "selling back" Bosch's hardware in exchange for the money.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The good will cards were not taxable, so I'm assuming that the Bosch money will not be too. At least it won't show up on my 1040 unless I get a 1099 from them.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Tax consequences often depend on whether you owned the car as a business asset, and took deductions for depreciation.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
My takeaway from the tax thread was that a private owner would only owe tax on any buyback amount over the original cost of the vehicle.

All on the honor system of course, VW is not filing any tax forms on our behalf.

But for the Bosch money -- it wasn't in exchange for anything, and I don't believe it falls into any of the typical "non taxable" legal settlement categories (such as personal injury), so is it reportable come tax time?

Again, on the honor system, and with the presumption Bosch is not filing any tax forms on our behalf.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
It doesn't fall into the typical tax exempt categories. They also won't issue you a 1099. Unless you're someone flipping a bunch of these I wouldn't waste a second more of thought about it.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Tax consequences often depend on whether you owned the car as a business asset, and took deductions for depreciation.
Now that makes sense. But a privately owned vehicle for personal use would not. Like a post upstream stated, the letter is for a specific condition.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My bank did something strange with the Bosch check. My wife deposited it on the 6th and got the notice that the funds would be on hold until the check cleared but the bank credited the account. Yesterday, they pulled the money back out of the account and now have it blocked until the 15th. I know they held the funds from the VW check but that was over $20k, not $350. It's like they're expecting the check to bounce.

BLyons

TDI
None right now
That is very strange. I work for a bank and check holds are part of my job, and basically the only reasons we would hold a check of that size is if we had doubts about that customer or the check looked really suspicious. I suspect it's not the latter.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Hi Gulfcoastguy... Anyway you can post a copy of that letter. Seems strange it would imply a tax liability as the payments from the VW settlement were not considered taxable income per the verbiage in the court settlement.
Sorry to be late, since I went Mazda I only check on here every couple of days or so. It looks like others handled the subject fairly well. As far as I go, no 1099 equals no reporting it on my end.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Got my Bosch check for my 2011 Jetta today. It was dated July 7 so got here fairly quick. So I'm all squared away with VW and can just enjoy my new 2015 Jetta TDI!
It may be the last of the TDI's for the foreseeable future so everything worked out in my favor (for once!). My wife loved the 2011 Jetta (black) and didn't want to have to replace it with a who-knows-what car so we were waiting for the fix. When I heard about the 2015's going on sale and found an identical (well, almost) new black Jetta TDI for a straight across swap (just had to pay sales tax), it was a no brainer. I snapped it up!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
buy back June 7th formal offer way back in Feb, got the check yesterday. Soooo sad, but at least I'll feel better finding a goodie for the alltrack.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
It doesn't fall into the typical tax exempt categories. They also won't issue you a 1099. Unless you're someone flipping a bunch of these I wouldn't waste a second more of thought about it.
Correct.

Thee lucky-smart-knowledgeable-hard working individuals who flipped their way into 10K - 25K - 50K in profits will be filing a scheduled C (?)

Me thinks

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
I got my check like a month ago. Still happy with my choice of buyback and an upgrade to a WRX