www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 6th, 2017, 15:32   #1
Lancelot1953

Fuel Economy: Jetta '01 ~48 mpg, Jetta 02 ~45 mpg
Default 2002 Jetta TDI 01M transmission replacement options

Good evening, first tread newbie to the TDI Forum, please be gentle (and patient),

Problem: 2002 Jetta TDI 224,000 miles with 01M transmission which I have nurtured and eventually "locked" after slipping/difficulty engaging in Reverse, 1st & 2nd gear for the last 30,000 miles when it was diagnosed as "finished" by the dealership.

Background: I am a Disabled Veteran with a damaged left leg (getting worse) which has confined me to using automatic transmission. Sadly enough using a 5-speed conversion or my other 2001 manual TDI is no longer an option for me. I have read many forum comments/threads recommending the above and I am a bit confused. I do most of my own maintenance.

Question: I would like to use a rebuilt transmission and preserve my car.
- Is there a different (used/rebuilt) transmission such as a 5-speed automatic that would be retrofitted in my TDI?
- If a professionally rebuilt 01M is the only solution, what/who would the TDI Club experts recommend? I read some good comments about IPT Performance Transmissions in NJ. Anyone else? I can drop the car off within 800 miles from Portland, ME, family helping.

I would appreciate any advice, thank you, Ciao, L
PS: I am very kind if not obsessive/compulsive caring for my vehicles (still have my first car circa 1970) so a bullet/idiot-proof transmission is not a requirement for me.
Lancelot1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 16:12   #2
ketchupshirt88
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-42 with a lead foot.

coolairvw is the expert on here if you wanna look up everything there is to know about the 01M.

a good used trans is the cheapest option and they do come up for sale often enough by ppl doing 5 speed swaps as a preventative matter. rebuilds are considered hit or miss... unless you spend like 4K to get it straight from VW...

the next newer trans on the 2004+ jettas isnt compatible to swap into a 2002
Old October 6th, 2017, 17:20   #3
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

Start here Lancelot;

http://kansascitytdi.com/

Lots of information on the 01M, and from all
reports, they can actually fix them! I sold mine for a song after my swap to a 5 speed. They do pop up in the classifieds.

If you find a used one, a fluid/filter change and adding a cooler can keep them going sometimes. I found putting mine in "touring" (something like that, instead of "adaptive") mode with VCDS, and then manually shifting it made a real difference.

RC Stage 2: 11mm pump & .216 nozzles, 17/22, 3bar MAP: Koni Reds with HD Springs, ~1"lift: XXIO Racing Rims, 215/55ZR16" Gen Max AS03's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: Ventectomy: Atlas skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .658 5th, Peloquin LSD: TT Short Shifter: Bosal Hitch: VW OEM racks: Aspherical Mirrors:
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 19:06   #4
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

First of all, thanks for your service.

As said above, give the guy in KC a call. Maybe he can source you a good condition used 01m. Installing a later (Pump Duse engine) automatic like the 09a Asian trans is not an option without a lot of headaches.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:21   #5
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

We have an 02 w/ the 01m which is on it's second life after a rebuild. It is doable.
Only use a local shop with experience doing these and a 2-year/ 24k mile warranty.
We have made considerable use of the warranty since the rebuild and made sure
they 'reset' it each time it went back. It's working pretty well now for 12k miles.
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:43   #6
VLS_GUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 City, 40 highway

Firstly, If you can get another car with a ore reliable automatic transmission do so. The 01m no matter who manufactures it will never be reliable. I have had the common failure points mitigated and then the transmission failed due to the differential failing and breaking the transmission case- end of the road.
Autobahn in Reading, PA does rebuild this things for around $ 2,100.00. But be prepared to go back a few times to fix things that break under warranty:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=413383
Next don't take your car to the dealer. I would use Herm in Richmond: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=413383
VLS_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:03   #7
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

These are actually VERY reliable if the fluid/filter is changed OFTEN. I service many on their first trans with 300K plus on them. While they don't always shift perfectly they have proven to be more reliable than a lot of other autoboxes in the industry.
VLS might mean Dubble's German Motors in Reading, PA. They do a VERY GOOD rebuild of these transmissions and can do some different things, just talk to them. Their prices are very reasonable. They do not send their transmissions out to many shops or so I've heard unless they know their reputation. I have two clients whom I've just installed their transmissions this last week. The first was a modded 01' on its FIRST FACTORY trans and that made it 250K. In Chicago traffic. The other replaced a trans that came from Dubbles 395K miles ago. Also driven hard with mods in Chicago traffic. The 250K trans got fluid and filter every 50K the replacement-replacement got fluid and filter every 40K. They run the Shell red fluid. Seems to hold up great. This almost 400K trans died because a pan strike caused it to run low.

2697 Bernville Rd
Reading, PA 19605
610-375-8330
www.dubbles.com
Old October 7th, 2017, 13:19   #8
VLS_GUY
Veteran Member

Yes I was ttalking about Dubble's. They do a good job on the 01M given its structural and design limitations.
I know of at least 3 01M transmissions that were serviced regularly that failed via broken internal seals, bad differentials cracking the case, or pressure loss that could not be isolated with out a proper test stand.
I also know that Jason sells the transmission from 5 speed swaps to Dubble's as cores so is very familar with them. The remanufacturing of the 01M may be nearing an end due to no new supply of Planetary Gear Sets. If you have source of them Dubble's would want to talk to you. Her is their link: https://www.dubbles.com/
I would suggest you talk to Herm and see if he would install their reman 01M if you want to go this route. The kit the send is complete and easy for an experienced VW mechanic to do.

Last edited by VLS_GUY; October 7th, 2017 at 13:25. Reason: added link
Old October 7th, 2017, 13:39   #9
UhOh
Veteran Member

I always see low-mileage 01m cars for sale. I can only imagine that there's also a representative amount to be found in wrecking yards. How low is low enough? No idea.

At about 170k miles I had the valve body replaced (with one from CoolAirVW) and the fluid changed. Someone in the past had done some transmission work on the car (got it with about 165k miles), but no idea what that was. The trans triggered a "bad" code, twice, and while it was quite a while between codes I decided to be proactive. Time will tell whether what I had done will be cost effective or not. Car belongs to the daughter and is operated in a big metropolitan area, a manual trans is out of the question. I figure it all cost-averaging: car was fairly cheap; I've got it fully maintained now, better than any other used car, if the trans can do a couple of years I figure it's money well-spent.

If only there was a way to figure out why certain 01m transmissions defy most odds I'd think that there could be a pretty sizable resurgence in these cars. Of course, all of our other cars (four others) are manuals (one being an 02m).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 17:33   #10
VLS_GUY
Veteran Member

In my limited experience in Southern California operating in a hot area with lots of high speed highway travel is a certain way to lower the life of a 01M. This is why I like to change the transmission fluid every couple of years with improved fluid. I don't want to operate with cooked transmission fluid given the material (valve bodies, seals etc.) and design choices (differential housing, fluid flow) VW made on this thing.
One thing to remember: Change the differential fluid on your 01M. It is frequently over looked, a failed differential will often break the case, rendering the transmission unusable as a remanufacture core.
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:31   #11
UhOh
Veteran Member

Great point to note the diff fluiid. I made sure to change that in the daughter's wagon.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:35   #12
mrseadog

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta

I have used Dubbles twice ( I have 2, 02 TDI's) and would probably use them again is the need arose. Both transmissions were replaced in the 220,000-240,000 mile range. One car now has about 270,000 on it and the other 295,000.

The wife does not do manual transmissions so there is zero chance of ever going that route.
mrseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 14:41   #13
Lancelot1953

Default Thank you for the valuable advice

I would like to thank the members of the club for their valuable advice - I will follow your recommendation(s) and call these references to find a suitable replacement and/or rebuild.

I really appreciate also that no one "shot at me" especially after asking a question on a topic that has been beaten to death in the forum... since being a Veteran, I am kind of "sensitive" to being shot at physically or ...verbally.

Thank you again to the TDIClub community.

May Peace be with you all, Ciao, L

PS: If anyone needs to protect their prize TDI against air attacks, I have some experience in the matter and can help you establish an effective defense perimeter or BARCAP
Old October 12th, 2017, 15:16   #14
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Don't sweat the perceived negative comments, people have different perspectives and you'll find most everyone here just tries to help. It is the internet.
As was said, a low mileage unit from the salvage yard is the least expensive option. Rebuild you want to check out the rebuilder.
Being ignorant in these matters, I wouldn't rule out a new one. If anyone has any, what are they going to do with 'em?
www.car-part.com
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 18:43   #15
Lancelot1953

Hi BobnOH,
Thank you for the advice (and reassurance), it makes a lot of sense.

I will keep the club informed of my progress,
Ciao, L