B5.5, 1.9TDI-PD - swap from AVF to AWX, is it wrong?

Keisim

TDI
1.9TDI-PD
I'm new here and I want to say hello to everyone.

At the beginning I apologise for my bad English, especially for small variety of words and spelling mistakes.
I would be great if you could correct those mistakes, for me it would be great lesson.

As far as I'm concerned your forum is said to be one of the best ones about TDIs - I hope that your profesionalism will help my in my issue.

I have got some problems with my VW Passat 3BG B5.5 2001 1.9TDI-PD 6-speed AVF... I mean AWX. This is my problem.
I have had serious breakdown (my turbo, pump-jets[correct?], and so have been seriously broken), so I decided that it would be cheaper to me to replace my engine with a new one. I found nice one and bought it. The seller said to me that this was AVF, but I did'n check it - then I didn't know how to do it. But after having it inserted to my car I found out that this is not an AVF - it is AWX... OFC clutch is from AWX, and other parts too.

Car seems to work fine, but I'm worried about its durability. I noticed that the fuel consumption is higher.
ECU is from the AVF engine...

Is it possible to remap my ECU to the AWX one? (from AVF)
Is it neccecsary? Can I get somewhere the standard MAP of AWX engine, or the ECU is different?
Clutch is from AWX, will the 6-speed gearbox work fine?

When plugged to the VAG-COM I always get some fault codes, but I'll write about them in another thread.
Thanks in advance.

Keisim

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
From what I can find, the engines are physically the same. The differences are the clutch and flywheel parts. The AWX has a 228mm clutch. The AVF has a 240mm.

The clutch may wear out faster due to the smaller size. Replace with the larger one when it does and you're back to full AVF configuration.

The AVF engine control module has a lot of variations depending on vehicle equipment. Combinations of ESP, Climatronic, ASR and VIN range identify which one is appropriate for your car. The AWX has only 3 choices based on VIN. I suggest staying with the AVF.

Just post the fault codes here to keep everything about your car in one place.

Keisim

TDI
1.9TDI-PD
Thanks for your reply MOGolf, on weekend I'll check quality of plugs, becouse I've got a lot of "Intermittent" errors... After that I'll post my errors here.

I hope, that fuel consumption will fall...
On idle it was about 0,8l/h, and now it is 1,4l/h... It is a big difference for me.
I'm quite busy right now, so I didn't check it on longer distance.
What is more I wasn't sure if I could ride it on AVF ECU.
The last thing for me now is to damage it one more time...

I'll keep posting in this thread.

Keisim

TDI
1.9TDI-PD
Break...

For now I'm having a break.
I'm looking for another engine...
Now I'll check if it is AVF or AWX...