ANNOUNCEMENT

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Some people have received e-mail from me about this matter, but I thought I'd share this announcement publicly now that I have something official in my hands (an acceptance letter and registration package that just arrived in the mail today), and since I consider you guys friends...

I am thrilled to announce that, after months of anxious waiting, and many more years of dreaming and hoping, I received word of acceptance of my application to pursue an M.Sc. degree in Energy Engineering at RWTH (Aachen Technical University) in Germany. Basically, in this program, I will be taking the next step in studies and research in combustion engines and engine design at one of the most renowned Technical Universities in the world!!

Those of you who have known me for a while will also know how long I have talked about and hoped for this. This acceptance represents the culmination and fulfilment of a deep desire of mine to go to Germany for many years. I have travelled there 4 times since 1999, and I have been fortunate to have been able to experience meeting so many people, and visiting places and sights that few have been able to.

Waiting in anticipation in the past months has been one of my greatest challenges, and I thank all those of you who have journeyed with me and wished me favourably in this endeavour, and for others who have remembered me in their prayers. The circumstances of my acceptance is nothing short of a miracle, as I feared that my credentials were not as strong as I felt was necessary for acceptance at one of the most prestigious departments and Engineering Universities in Germany if not in all the world!

My immediate challenges are to apply for a German student visa; selling most of my possessions (including my beloved Quicksilver
); coordinating the move from Canada to Germany; and working out financial details as I will be returning to full-time studies. The next few months will be very busy ones in many ways, but one of the biggest sacrifices yet would be to have to bid farewell to family, friends, and home, of which I consider you guys in that company. Such is the resolve of my dream that I am willing make this move. As a result, the upcoming summer will hold very special meaning for me as I take every possible opportunity out of all the busy-ness to enjoy the company of friends and family in a time of a lengthy but celebratory farewell.

Thanks for letting me share in my joy. Going back to school might seem the farthest thing from good news to some of you, but I am so happy!!!!!!!

Looks like I will be around until August.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Congratulations David.. I do so remember your thought provoking lectures at the Fests on Diesels I have been to all of them.

I know that you will return to the 'fold' as an AUTHORITY on all aspects of combustion engines.

NOT fairwell but a side venture towards another path to your goal.

We will look forward to an input every so often on the future of internal combustion dynamics.

PeterV and HamsterV

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Dave, this is excellent news...it will be great to have a man on the ground in Germany!
I'm glad it's going to come together for you. Best of luck!

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Congrats Dave! I remember we spoke about this when we had dinner together back in November. Best of luck to you. Now we have a contact in Germany to get parts!!!

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Congrats!!Now make sure in time that you get a Lupo and tell us how nice it is...
Good Luck!.I used to live in Greece and do miss Europe alot..

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
CONGRATULATIONS! This is EXACTLY what I wanted to do prior to life taking hold of me. I'm glad you finally have the opportunity to pursue your dream. This is an important thing for all of us as you have the chance to make ALL OUR dreams come true! Good luck, keep in touch! Say hi to my uncle if you ever visit Berlin!

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Congratulations Dave!
It's always good to see someone sticking to it and pursuing their dream. Keep us updated as to how things are going when you're over there.

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Wow Dave! Congratulations! It must have taken a lot of persistence and resolve to achieve this. What a great adventure although it will no doubt take a lot of energy and hard work. Good thing you resisted the charms of those many TDI-admiring ladies so you are free to wander off to the Fatherland.

It would have to be a pretty significant event that would prompt you to part with ol' Quicksilver. Way to go!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Excellent news Dave. I am truly happy for you. I hope you will still have time between studies to pop into the forums. You will truly be missed here in SO. I'll have to make sure to get to a few of the GTG's this summer before you go.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Congrats David! I just finished my tech degree (Mechanical Engineering also) and it was weird to come back to school...hard to explain.

Back in old habits I guess.

Bonne chance!

bigwater

TDI
02 NB TDI
Congrats!!

I know you will keep us in the loop. Looking forward to hearing the stories.

cheers!!

wren

TDI
Jetta - 01 silver GLS
Congratulations Dave. I remember a chat about this over dinner last year at the fest. I had no doubt that you would be going back to school. What an adventure it will be.