DRVOLKS.COM inside race vid passes 25 cars in 5 min

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I thought you would like to see how a well build and tuned TDI car can kill a gasoline field of 100+ cars. We only run about 27 LB of boost and we can only pull 4000RPM in 4th on the shoot dew to the 17/22 turbo. we can run for 4.45 HR to a stock tank most all gasoline car can just make 1.45-2 HR to a tank.
I hope to show at the Chump race same track Sep 1-2 with that kind of MPG we could take the lead half way through the day with luck!!
PS look for 7.36 marker as as BMW get loose and cuts him off he slides down the shoot misses the wall and keeps on passing cars!!
https://youtu.be/1MnV4tSYnoI

Last edited:

CNGVW

TDI
I run a water inter cooler and the radiator is on the roof behind the wing. It took some testing to get the coolant to lift 3 ft and cool the engine inter cooler.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Sweet job, but this really isn't a surprise, I'm not really sure how you kept your car under the $500 rule when you added a turbo that is definitely worth more then that obviously you can sell off parts to get money back to make that purchase. However most of your competition are running beat engines with no mods to them and definitely not turbo charged. So I wouldn't brag about beating a bunch of gassers in a lemons race. More like you competed with ~5 other racers that actually put a lot into their cars to try and be really good racer cars while the rest of the teams there are out to have fun and look really goofy and relish the spirit of Lemons and hope they make it across the finish line without blowing up their engines that have 300K+ miles on them. But good job anyways. Also the only benefit the extra hours on a tank have is that you only fill up every other racer swap since a racer is only supposed to race 1.5-2hrs at a time depending on race. So you only make up the 3-5 minutes that it takes to fill the tank during driver swap.

I only say all these things so that others unaware of how lemons works realize that what you say you are accomplishing from your tuning isn't nearly as big of a deal as you make it sound. Plus I'm a huge fan of Lemons and the idea that winning is your number 1 goal is not something that the organization is about. But there will always be those sponsored teams that put way more into their cars then everyone else.

CNGVW

TDI
I had this long replay but I will just make it sweet
Fraggy you are way off base with real racing and the true cost of Lemon and Chump.
I put this out there for you come race with us $1000 you match it you bring a VW TDI get though tech we race in the main race for 10 laps on our own flag drop so it you think you can do better here you go. You 2 race this year Sep 1-2 and Oct HN Lemons

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I thought Lemons was supposed to be for fun, and in cars that were limited to first a $500 value and then later a $1000 value, and that any other racer could "buy" another racer's car for that amount so as to specifically discourage anyone taking it too seriously.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I had this long replay but I will just make it sweet
Fraggy you are way off base with real racing and the true cost of Lemon and Chump.
I put this out there for you come race with us $1000 you match it you bring a VW TDI get though tech we race in the main race for 10 laps on our own flag drop so it you think you can do better here you go. You 2 race this year Sep 1-2 and Oct HN Lemons
I was never saying you weren't fast I was saying you have no reason to brag about beating a bunch of lemons cars. Not only are the other cars most likely underpowered but the "racer" are average joe blows who probably haven't had a day of race track training me being one of those guys. I just don't want people to think that your tuning is somehow something special because it beat a bunch of gassers in a race that's mostly meant to be fun and challenge people on a technical level by working with what you have. We race a 1989 toyota Alltrac that makes a whopping 105hp before it blew a head gasket. We hold our own in the corners and if we are lucky it rains and then we let the all wheel drive shine. But our car has a $1200 into it including frame and race tires which doesn't count against our $500. We've sold every part possible inorder to buy springs from a crv that we cut to fit and bushings for our sway bar. After our last race we were re-valued and given $350 to buy a "new" engine or rebuild the one we have. Also your attitude about winning in lemons is a complete tarnish to the sport. If you want to show up your race car go do a true race.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I thought Lemons was supposed to be for fun, and in cars that were limited to first a $500 value and then later a $1000 value, and that any other racer could "buy" another racer's car for that amount so as to specifically discourage anyone taking it too seriously.
Not sure about the $1000 but your car gets revalued after a race so that you can have money to put back into your car. But your total value should never be $500. If the tech inspection ask to buy your car on the spot you have to sell it. One team brought a busted camaro one time that had a fully built corvette race engine in it. They tried to hide it but the judges knew. They were offered $500 on the spot. The team left without ever racing.

I doubt if drvolks was offered $500 he would sell his car. As he has way more value then $500 in that car.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
So after doing some research on the race. Our so called gasser killer that killed 100+ cars in the field is full of poo poo. Their team placed 96th out of 111 cars. With only 171 laps and a lap time of 1:30.115. Apparently the judges agreed with me on having an over built valued car and they were given 8 BS penalty laps. Just for a comparison the winning team did 510 laps and a best lap time of 1:26.998.

Don't bull**** people it's bad for the community. If you would have posted a thread that said "Hey had an awesome time at a lemons race with our TDI that we tuned and built" I would have never said anything but the fact that you're a vender and rolled out this thread like a sales pitch is bad business and annoying as members of this community

Here's my dog

CNGVW

TDI
Out here in the East I can tell you the top group are no way $500 cars and in Chump car there even higher. I do get to brag I am the only TDI Lemon/Chump in the USA.
it still come down to lap times As the designer,builder and owner I have this car hooked up. There where still 20 faster BMW,Poshs,camaros with new engine!!
I have gone through 2 Lemon tech at a B class and 4 Chump at a B class so you can wine all you want. We race all kind of a class cars some you could not build for $5000+
I run a TDI to show it can get it done so so ether you wish TDIs to win or you do not.
As I said I feel I have a winning car so the the offer stands you can step or step aside.
I guse the mid west is just a bit slower then the North East!!!

CNGVW

TDI
we still stand as the 20 fastest out of 120 cars and 5 in class we got the 8 lap kick for having the Chump decals on it they did not like it!! yest we had a bad day Sat but the point is as you cry you only wish you could do as in the vid.

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
I admit to not knowing the rules of this type of racing but I thought it was sort of "grass roots" type racing. Just looking at the gauges in/on the dash looks more than $500.00. I guess they were just laying around the shop? Intercooler on the roof with a water spray! I guess the rules are meant to be broken(if you can get away with it)!

CNGVW

TDI
Just look at the sites and view some of the pic it is fun and a very low cost way to go racing but if you think you are going to do it for $500 not going to happen.
What faggy did not say is the rollcage is not in it just look over the rule book at there site.
and any safety stuff is not part of the $500 kind look at it as the rolling shell is $500.
My car is at Chump at $200 this give me room to add stuff and there is a check sheet for all add ons.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
From what I've seen of Lemons racing the goal is to have a good time. Not setting blistering lap times. Seems like a few people are taking it way too seriously. Kind of a buzzkill.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
DRVOLKS I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying you're a bad racer or a slow car (even if the results say otherwise). I'm more annoyed with the ignorant opinion that you're beating so many cars and you're so fast and you're a vender spouting that you have a well built racer in a grassroots low cost race. There's no jealousy here. I've always wanted to race the TDI however never saw it as a realistic option because of the value of it. Also I clearly mentioned that tires and safety are not included in the $500. I'm also annoyed by your lack of understanding of the spirit of lemons which is just a cheap fun way to go beat the crap out of a car and do it legally. Also while making fun of all the ridiculous race teams in real racing that spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on their cars.

From what I've seen of Lemons racing the goal is to have a good time. Not setting blistering lap times. Seems like a few people are taking it way too seriously. Kind of a buzzkill.
This is exactly my feeling of the whole ordeal. I look at lemons as grown up go carts. You keep it pinned and do things to an engine and transmission that you would never ever try doing in a real race or on the street. It's so much fun.

It's also an awesome sport to just try crazy off the wall ideas. Our next car is going to be a 2-stroke from a snowmobile coupled and mounted directly to the rear drive axle out of a corrola mounted in a geo metro or similar tiny car. Do we think we will win...nope but we will have a ton of fun building it and racing a weird spectacle of a car.

CNGVW

TDI
There are two groups those that are out to win it and those out to have fun in Lemon and that is cool that both work together !
The hard part for use we run both classes A Chump car can run in Lemon but a Lemon car needs a lot of safety upgrades to run in Chump and be at the top of there game.

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Hey now. The expensive turbo, tune, and water spray deal is all safety. Imagine the chaos a 40hp car would do on the track....

This is just like playing a game with cheats enabled..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
....or a friendly neighborhood game of touch football where one guy shows up in full gear and proceeds to lay down concussion inducing tackles. Just in case NFL scouts happen to be watching.

CNGVW

TDI
Ok the car is fast in the vid the car is turning 1.33.245 a Lap the fastest car there was turning 1.25.00 was a $500 car a 1989 honda civic with 4 pro drivers and turning the engine at 10,000 RPM!!! and finished second. So if you still think Lemon racing is just bunch of old beat up cars think again.
this is that car a full race car with some bad paint.

Here is a BMW we spank full race car $500 he turned 1.31.547

You can not pay the front door at the junk yard for $500
Hear is a nice new one 1986 audi 4000 with a turbo 4 wheel drive running 1.29.310
It is a copy of the Audi factory road racer from over the pond $500 car to no lap added!!

I found this in Chump just clear up cost of some of these car.

Stick to a car you know and that has cheap and plentiful replacements. Also only use a car that has racing history. The most competitive cars were campained in larger scca or nasa classes, which meant most of the bugs were figured out. Think spec e30, spec e36, spec miata, honda challenge, spec neon, scca American iron....not sure where fiero fits in that list.

Any good build will cost 6 to 10 grand unless you buy a good car off someone else. At that point the cost of the chassis is a drop in the bucket. Pick what you want.
Like this
Quote this

Last edited:

CNGVW

TDI
Ok we are ready for our next outing at Thompson Speedway CT under the Chump flag.

We installed a 17-56 and new tune running 30 LB of Boost
We will test Friday and race Sataday for a hard 12 HR none stop 8-8 PM had to install a head light it will be dark not much lights on the track for night driving!! Just hope no parts fall off Ha Ha !!
Tom M will be streaming in car vid on www.race-monitor.com first time!!
If you wish come by and watch some real racing $20 at the gate.