How Do You Remove Pollen Filter/ECU Access Panel?

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
I would like to check/clean my pollen filter on my '98 Jetta TDI Sport. I understand it is under the black plastic panel located under the windshield wipers. I know the power hungry have removed it to access the ECU. What is the procedure to remove it? Thanks for your help, guys.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
On my Golf, it's located on the passenger side under the cowling. There's a access panel secured by 4 torx screws---it looks like a small flat air filter.

------------------

Sooty

Veteran Member
Don’t forget to take the wiper off first!

P.S. Dparnell, is that the passenger side on a left hand drive or right hand drive vehicle

------------------

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Update: I found out that my TDI has no pollen filter. There is only a 7" X 6" plastic air intake duct with a coarse plastic mesh screen over the top (approx. 1/8" x 1/8" mesh). Anyone install a homemade filter over this existing screen?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Did mine yesterday. If you suffer from allergies, emphysema, other lung or nasal ailments, get a smoker friend to do this for you. Vehicle is A4 Jetta (TDi, but gas car would be the same)
1. Lift hood.
2. On left side (right of the N.A. car from the drivers position) near to the hood hinge is a strip with 4 torx screws - remove. This piece is a sort of "water catcher drawer".
3. Also remove (pull up) about half the weatherstrip for the rear hood edge.
4. You must now remove the "water catcher". This requires bending up the plastic strip along the lower edge of the windshield.
5. Also observe the fitting of the drawer near the windshield hinge area - it is very trickey to replace.
6. Once out of the way, you can see the pollen filter. Unclip fron edge, lift up and pull out.
7. I used high pressure air, and blew all of the pollen back into the air where it belongs.
8. Replace filter - rear has tabs to fit into slots - and press down front to snap in.
9. The scary part - put back in the "water catcher drawer. You will need to bend up the plastic quite a bit to fit.
10. Replace the screws and the weatherstrip.

BTW - there are a few TSB's that show diagrams of this area as well. IF I find a good one I will update this post.

Here we go: TSB C01-99-06 pictures N92-0223 and N92-0117 detail this area.

[This message has been edited by Jimmy (edited August 02, 1999).]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Let's all hear it for the "search" function!

My pollen filter got wet when my ECU got Wett. I plan to take it out to dry it. Here's my question: What is the possibility that microbes might be growing in a wet filter? Should I just discard it and replace it with a new one, instead of drying it? I am being AR?

Thanks.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Got it out. Part # is 1J0 819 644.
At 9K, it isn't too dirty. Now to just dry....