Searching for opinions

Lubb

TDI
None Yet
I’m new to cars in general here I’ve only owned trucks and SUVs in the past but I’m wanting to purchase a tdi for a commuter car. I had a couple questions I was hoping y’all could help me with.
1: I’m 6’5” will I fit in a Jetta or Golf and would I be able to shift comfortably.
2: Are automatic transmissions prone to failure on the tdi
3: I have found 3 TDIs near me that I’m interested in and wanted the opinions of actual tdi owners.
A: 1998 Jetta 5 speed with 127,000miles ($3,500 firm)
B: 2002 golf 5 speed with 180,000miles ($4,850 obo also built by the “tdi guy” in Fort Worth)
C: 2005 Golf automatic with 125,000 miles ($5,000 obo)

Thanks for any input y’all can give me. I am very mechanical and plan to do all maintenance myself

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You’d probably fit better in a beetle. But a golf or Jetta should be fine.

Automatic transmissions are not prone to failure on these cars they are guaranteed to fail. Unless I was buying a super clean, no rust , low mileage car, specifically to do a 5spd swap I wouldn’t even consider buying an MK4 with an auto. They are pretty much parts cars only and of course you can’t use the transmission for more than a paper weight.

My vote would be the 02.

Lubb

TDI
None Yet
Thanks for the input. I like the 02 as well style wise over the 98 for sure. I’m not sure if I could picture myself in a beetle.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
Are all three well maintained and taken care of? That should be an important factor in your decision.
Assuming they are, my last car was a non-TDI 2002 Jetta (back then, Jettas and Golfs were more similar than they are now) and I loved it. That said, I paid $5500 for it in 2008 with 114,000 miles on it, so $4800 for that golf seems a little high to me.
Also, a Volkswagen with an automatic is like a screen door on a submarine, but that is just my opinion.

Lubb

TDI
None Yet
I haven’t looked at any of these in person but the 98 is immaculate from the pics I’ve seen and the current owner claims to have maintained it very well. I’m just weary about a 20 year old daily driver even if the miles are relatively low. As for the 02 golf it’s definitely not as clean. I’m trying to read more comparisons of the ALH vs AHU I’m strictly looking for reliability and ease of maintenance no performance mods would be done.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
A 20 year car that has been well maintained is better than a 16 year old car that hasn't, but I would verify that for both.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
For the 98, the dealer support is practically nothing and some parts can be hard to find. The dealer's mantra is that if the car is over 10 years old, they don't have to sell parts for it anymore. I have heard that more than I would like to. My dad's 1997 Toyota is still 100% dealer maintained.

I wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver. The platform is growing on me, but on my 1997, the power steering pump failed and the turbo failed and each time the car needs a tow back and just sits in the driveway waiting for parts. It has been a massive effort to determine compatibility on some parts. And that's assuming you have the tools and ability to DIY. I have right now a intake pipe coming from Germany to Canada back to the US that has taken me weeks and untold amounts of time just to locate the part number and find someone who has it for sale.

h.ubk

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The 02 will have a ALH.. and is a good match with a 5 speed, one of the better TDI motors we all love.

The 05 will be BEW engine but these year cars AUTO's are a lot less prone to major issues, they do have problems but I'd consider a 04-06 auto, but never a 99-03.. The BEW engine is prone to cam wear.. it would be good to see if its ever been done.

If the 05 is cleaner than the 02 definitely consider it, maintenance is key for both. Your fuel mileage will be less with an auto though as well.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Unless you are just going to rack up a huge amount of miles, I would just consider a cheaper gas car that gets good mileage. It will take a very long time to pay off the car and catch up maintenance at those prices. $5k buys a lot of fuel! A Beetle is your best choice as well for those tall folks. Plenty of head room.

Lubb

TDI
None Yet
I am starting a new job and will have a little over 120 mile round trip commute 4-5 days a week. I am estimating a minimum of 50k per year. I will also be on call 24-7 so can cause my mileage increase as well.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hi neighbor, figured I’d give you my 2 cents. I drove a ‘98 5 speed Jetta for a couple years, and then found a really nice ‘02 5 speed Jetta that I couldn’t pass up. I know you’re considering a Golf, but the Jetta is very similar in a lot of ways. I do all of my own maintenance as well, and DEFINITELY prefer working on the ALH over the AHU. To me, it just seems more user friendly. Plus VW made many, many more TDI’s in the MK4 platform, so parts and salvage are much easier to find. I travel long distances for work as well, and found the ‘02 much more comfortable to travel in. I couldn’t stand the seats in the ‘98. Can’t speak for the ‘05, don’t know anything thing about them. I bought both my Jetta’s in Texas, so if you like the MK4, but not the one you’re looking at, check around. Hope this helps.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
120 miles a day x 22 days a month x 12 months = 31680 year. Unless you make that trip almost twice a day you aren't going to commute 50k a year.

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
The automatic in the 2005 is a good one (5 speed tiptronic made by JatCo, not VW), so no big worries there. It may need new solenoids at some point but not a big deal if you are mechanically inclined. The cam wear issue seemed to happen much more with the later Jetta BRM engine and the BHW in the Passats. The BEW in the 2005 Golf should be fine at those miles as long as it had good maintenance.

The 2002 with ALH engine and manual transmission is also a good combination and will get more miles per gallon than the 2005 with automatic.

I would pass on the Jetta being an older platform and I think the Golf is just more practical being a hatchback.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
If its not a Beetle, make sure it's a GL. You'll get another 2" or so, of headroom. I'm only 6' 1" but I need the seat all the way down in an MK4 with a sunroof. I still have some clearance, but I have much more headroom in a GL.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
At that many miles you'll want to put money in a car that old. 2002, 2003 5 spd. or a 2004, 2005. Don't rule out the beetle, it's the best design of the 3. Golf 2 door and wagons also desirable.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Expect to add another $2k or so to get it in good repair for making that kind of drive. You don't want breakdowns an hour from home. TB, tires, brakes, suspension, rubber parts and hoses, etc...

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
I am starting a new job and will have a little over 120 mile round trip commute 4-5 days a week. I am estimating a minimum of 50k per year. I will also be on call 24-7 so can cause my mileage increase as well.
If you had my MK3 Tdi, you would probably find yourself looking for a new job :)

h.ubk

IWUScott

TDI
2005 Jetta
The automatic in the 2005 is a good one (5 speed tiptronic made by JatCo, not VW), so no big worries there. It may need new solenoids at some point but not a big deal if you are mechanically inclined. The cam wear issue seemed to happen much more with the later Jetta BRM engine and the BHW in the Passats. The BEW in the 2005 Golf should be fine at those miles as long as it had good maintenance.

The 2002 with ALH engine and manual transmission is also a good combination and will get more miles per gallon than the 2005 with automatic.

I would pass on the Jetta being an older platform and I think the Golf is just more practical being a hatchback.
I've read the solenoid replacement can be a real pain? but you say it isn't so bad. I was just at the dealer........they want $500 for labor, plus a new valve body--they do not replace solenoids. I have replaced transmissions and installed new head gaskets in my vehicles over the years. Think this is something reasonably accomplished in a weekend, with these novice skills? I'm also curious if anyone is aware of a shop, or TDI enthusiast in the Harrisburg, PA area, who might undertake this project. I have a new solenoid set from Wolfsburg.

Last edited:

Geomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2002 NB
I've read the solenoid replacement can be a real pain? but you say it isn't so bad. I was just at the dealer........they want $500 for labor, plus a new valve body--they do not replace solenoids. I have replaced transmissions and installed new head gaskets in my vehicles over the years. Think this is something reasonably accomplished in a weekend, with these novice skills? I'm also curious if anyone is aware of a shop, or TDI enthusiast in the Harrisburg, PA area, who might undertake this project. I have a new solenoid set from Wolfsburg.
It’s a pain because the pan is on the side and there is a bunch of stuff in the way. But that is not much different than a million other things on these cars. Once you get in there deep enough, replacing solenoids is easy. It’s just work to get to. I have done it in a weekend following instructions on this site and had never done it before. I think you could do it.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I did min myself. I did pull the lock carrier (bumper assembly) forward by a few inches to get better access, but this is not difficult.