2014 Touareg TDI - will 17's fit?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
We've got the 2014 TDI Executive with 20" wheels. I cheaped out and tried Sumimotos. It was a bad idea and they've worn poorly. Lots of tread left but despite rebalancing twice and two alignments the wheel shakes badly above 60 MPH. I'm ready to throw in the towel on them at about 12k miles, but really don't want to spend over $1k on another set of 20" tires. I also figure it will ride better on a smaller wheel size with more side wall.

I've been looking for some OEM 18" wheels and I found a set of OEM 17" wheels off of a 2010 instead. They are 265/60/R17 tires which looks like a near perfect match for the speedo.

Does anyone know if I will have any trouble with these. I don't believe that this size is listed on the door - but does that matter or does it just mean that it wasn't a factory offered size in 2014? Clearly it was in 2010.

My thought is to buy these, try them out on the tires they come on and then maybe put snow tires on in the fall. And find a set of 18" wheels to put all seasons on next spring.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, I looked at clubtouareg and it sounds like they should fit. If the wheels have the TPMS valves will they be compatible from a 2010 to a 2014? Do they have to be matched with VCDS?

I only have had that system on the JSW's which uses wheel rotation instead of the sensors.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
They should work without any reprogramming, unless the diameter has changed at all.

Check back at the other forum on the topic “steering wheel shake.” Your Sumimotos might not be the problem. Nevertheless, the shake has been a problem mainly with 20” wheels.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Our 2014 Lux has 19's, no steering wheel shake with the OEM Goodyears or the new Michelins now on it. Do follow Mythdoc's suggestion of researching the issue, it seemed to have been much more of a problem on the early T3s (2011-12..), but find out all you can. The wheel torqueing procedure has helped some people.
We have a second set of 17s with A/T tires. Many more reasonable tire choices in 17", 18" are also not bad.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
They should work without any reprogramming, unless the diameter has changed at all.

Check back at the other forum on the topic “steering wheel shake.” Your Sumimotos might not be the problem. Nevertheless, the shake has been a problem mainly with 20” wheels.
Ugh, finally spent the time to read about the shake. The Sumi's are basically shot at this point with cupping on the front tires. I have been unable to find a nice set of 18's yet and at this point I might bite the bullet on another set of 20" tires. I may just take them somewhere to be mounted and then put them on the car myself following the TSB for the issue. I will say that the car drove GREAT when the tires were brand new. We did an alignment when the tires were put on but perhaps its just that the wheels got bumped out of alignment shortly after and we got funky tire wear. Its not like we drive on nice roads and the frost heaves are brutal. Plus my wife doesn't bother to slow down for them.

The 20" tires are brutally expensive, but the car is pretty unbearable to drive over 55 MPH and I don't want to ruin any suspension parts by driving it like it is now.