CEL and GP Light, No Start, NB

Legal Diesel

TDI
1998 Beetle
It's my first diesel, so please bear with me. I tried to search for this and came up empty on the exact issue. I tried to start my Beetle this morning (-1F) and I got the CEL and GP lights flashing in unison when I turned the key to ON. I thought I heard a clicking sound, like when the battery's almost dead, but I've not seen this flashing before. I tried it a couple times, same result. Nothing if you turn it past ON, so I drove the Honda to work.

I'm going to check the battery when I have more time tonight, but everything seems to say the GP light is bad and means a code is stored. Any chance it just has to do with the cold?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
With a nearly dead battery you can get all sorts of "false" codes. Obviously you should clean the battery posts/clamps and recharge before worrying about anything else.

Legal Diesel

TDI
1998 Beetle
It was definitely the battery. It was so dead it wouldn't even take a jump. Took it back to the store, the rep noted it had frozen because she could see the sides bulging.

One new battery later, started like a charm.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
It was definitely the battery. It was so dead it wouldn't even take a jump. Took it back to the store, the rep noted it had frozen because she could see the sides bulging.
One new battery later, started like a charm.
Over charging long time can also bulge the battery.