2015 Jetta Loose Steering Feel

Smokinram

TDI
None Yet...
Hello All,

I just went from my 2006 Jetta TDI, which I loved, to a 2015 Jetta TDI and overall the newer car is very nice. The only thing I don't like is the loose feeling in the steering versus my 2006.

It feels like the "Steering Assist" is set too high on these newer cars causing a mushy loose feeling in the wheel. I know on the older cars you could change the steering assist with VCDS, but I went into my 2015 with my VAG-COM and the ability to change the steering assist coding is grayed out. Must be locked out.

Does anyone else experience this with their 2015 Jetta or am I just used to the smaller car feel of the 2006 Jetta I had?

Also my wife drives a 2015 Passat SEL TDI and her car handles and feels tighter in the steering like my 2006 Jetta.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Hi Andy,
I know what you mean, and feel in the wheel. I bought my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI "new" in April 2017 and I was surprised and impressed at how easily the steering wheel can be turned. My previous daily driver was a 2005 Passat TDI which I bought new in 2004. Comparatively speaking, the steering on my 2005 Passat was like turning a big rig vis-à-vis the 2015 Jetta (but I liked the 2005 Passat steering). All I can say is that recently I have driven other sedans, like Honda and Nissan, and VW is likely trying to offer the same "feel" in many ways, one being steering response (or ease of it). The other explanation is that possibly there is some other explanation (e.g. economic to build, faster response). I am presuming that your vehicle is performing as designed, and that there is not a problem with it, which could be causing the "loose" feel as you have described.

Smokinram

TDI
None Yet...
Hi Andy,
I know what you mean, and feel in the wheel. I bought my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI "new" in April 2017 and I was surprised and impressed at how easily the steering wheel can be turned. My previous daily driver was a 2005 Passat TDI which I bought new in 2004. Comparatively speaking, the steering on my 2005 Passat was like turning a big rig vis-à-vis the 2015 Jetta (but I liked the 2005 Passat steering). All I can say is that recently I have driven other sedans, like Honda and Nissan, and VW is likely trying to offer the same "feel" in many ways, one being steering response (or ease of it). The other explanation is that possibly there is some other explanation (e.g. economic to build, faster response). I am presuming that your vehicle is performing as designed, and that there is not a problem with it, which could be causing the "loose" feel as you have described.
Thanks for the reply. What you are saying makes perfect sense and that is what I was afraid of. The only thing that doesn't make sense is, my wifes 2015 Passat SEL TDI has the "stiff" feel of my 2006 Jetta that I really liked. Seems like the combination of the easier steering and more body roll of the 2015 versus the 2006 Jetta gives it a whole different driving experience.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Some would say that the "German feel" has been removed in large part for the North American market to compete with (i.e. increase sales) the other auto makers. If you want "German feel" I think one has to either go with the VW models made for the German and European market (e.g. CC, Touareg), or go down the road to the Audi dealer. Sad for those who want a little less expensive "German feel" car, but that is the direction that VW has taken for North America. As for your wife's Passat steering feel ... I wish I could comment, but perhaps some quick research on the steering mechanisms and functionality of each will reveal different designs. For example, electric vs. hydraulic, vs. rack and pinion. That is just an initial guess on my part.

Smokinram

TDI
None Yet...
Tighter Handling

Hello,

Since it seems like I am unable to tighten up the steering on this car, what is everyone doing to these cars to help them handle better?

Thanks,
Andy

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
The majority of the "slop" in the steering is from the rear bushings on the front control arms. Swapping those out with something stiffer will help.
There is a urethane option available somewhere, but I don't think that's the right choice.

I made myself some custom aluminum adapters with spherical bearings. The difference in steering feedback was night/day. ECS or 034 Motorsports should really come out with a kit.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Unfortunately it seems like nobody cares about steering feel any more. The new BMW's are probably the most disappointing example. You could hit a curb in new BMW and not feel it through the steering wheel.

Even though I can't make you a set, you can use this for inspiration:

Smokinram

TDI
None Yet...
Unfortunately it seems like nobody cares about steering feel any more. The new BMW's are probably the most disappointing example. You could hit a curb in new BMW and not feel it through the steering wheel.

Even though I can't make you a set, you can use this for inspiration:
Are you sure you can't make another set??? :D
I love the idea and those pieces look great.

I need to try something. Its driving me crazy because my 2006, even though it had 203k miles on it, felt so much better on the road.