P0122 Code. New ASV didn't help.

Turbo_Whistle

TDI
none
I had this code pop up the other month. After some research I figured it was probably the ASV, but the car still ran fine so I didn't do anything for a few weeks. Last week on my way home from work I started to hear an engine noise almost like a miss or rough running. I stopped driving it and did full maintenance including oil change, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter and a brand new ASV. Cleared all the codes and the P0122 code comes right back.

I went back and checked fuses as well as wiring at the ASV and everything appears to be good.

Is there anything else that can throw this code? I thought the ASV would be an easy fix.

timmar03

TDI
2010 jetta
Im having the same problem asv not working and throwing a p0122 code on one scanner andp2016 on snap on scanner. I ve tried 3 asv units and no good ,still doesnt work. I have found 2 things that you might look into. In the wiring harness in front of the starter the loom drops down in a loop. In the loom there is 2 wires weaved together,blue/white and black red. The wires rub through there and break. and I ve placed a few calls and im checking if the asv has to be adapted after its changed. The third thing is Im checked you can just write out the line from ecu to get rid of the cel? Good luck and post anything you find out and I will as well.

mainjet

Veteran Member
I went through an ASV problem that was intermittent for a long long time. and could not find the issue. I replaced the ASV based on how it was acting but when I took the old one off and opened it up it looked fine to me. So I put the new one on but it continued doing the same thing for a long period.

Then one day I was standing next to the car and it starting making a clicking sound when my wife started it up. I took off the ASV and opened it up to find the plastic gear was toast. ON first glance it looks good but on the back of the plastic gear there are other teeth that actually broke off.

So I put the old one back on but still I had the intermittent problem. Finally I took it to the dealer for them to try to diagnose. They could not come up with the problem exactly but they believed it was a chaffed wire. So I told them rather then spending $125/hr looking for the spot that is chaffed, just put a jumper wire on it to bypass it. They did and it fixed the problem.

The End.