'05.5 BRM. low-beam on one side won't work. low voltage

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
I did a little searching and can't quite figure this out yet. We're getting ~12v to both high beams as well as the drivers low beam, but virtually nothing on the passengers low beam. Trace voltage only.

The high-beams intermittently shut off once/twice as well... not sure why.

New bulb obviously didn't do anything; any thoughts on the low voltage? bad ground? Some kind of controller causing trouble?

Last edited:

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
case closed (for now.) In a final effort, I sprayed a little Deoxit on the contacts of the headlight plug and the headlight. Amazingly, this appears to have worked. All lights functional (other than the addition of the yellow driving lights in the GTI bumper,) work perfectly. These appear to be an add-on and the wiring is substandard... and I don't even know how to turn them on.

The dash light for a failed light is still 'on.' The system states "Right side marker defective" but I don't see any lights that aren't functional. Definitely looking for a solution to this ASAP.

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
update: the marker light apparently works intermittently. I KNOW it was functional yesterday, but the right side bumper/marker light doesn't work this morning. I'm going to try a new bulb, but I highly doubt the bulb is the culprit.