Error Code on Golf MK5 - 01221 - Crash Sensor; Driver Side (G179)

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hello all,

I am hoping that someone can help me with a rather niggling problem on my Golf MK5.

Every time I have the door at least half open with the ignition fully on, the airbag warning light comes on and I get the following error code:

VCDS Version: Release 805.4

Address 15: Airbags
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 909 605 D
Component and/or Version: 02 AIRBAG VW8 022 0600
Software Coding: 0012338
Work Shop Code: WSC 01268
1 Fault Found:

01221 - Crash Sensor ; Driver Side (G179)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON

Identifying the cause, I immediately thought it could be a loose connection on the electrical connector block on the exterior A pillar. So I took it off, cleaned the contacts up, checked the wiring and put it back together, again and again.. Still exactly the same problem was exhibited!

So next I took off the inner door trim, didn't see much there so I took off the outer skin. I checked the wiring to the crash sensor, checked it's connector and checked the wires routing up to the connector block. No problems anywhere. I tried opening the door and noted no movement of cabling at all that was visible with the outer skin off. So this has me well and truly stumped.

In summary, if the door is more the approximately half way open, the airbag warning light comes on. If it's closed, it doesn't. Does this mean the A pillar connector block no matter what? I am reluctant to change order in and change the sensor as it works with the door (nearly) closed.

I have spent a whole day fault diagnosing this and have got no where, so any help would be appreciated :(

Thanks very much.