Meet Russ, Proud New Owner of a 2000 Jetta!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Russ asked me to check out this Jetta here in OKC where I live, so after a positive report Russ flew in this morning and we picked up his ride, took it to my house and did some TLC, where it magically transformed into a great-running TDI! Russ was about to burst buttons on his shirt after the final test drive...ok, it was a t-shirt, but still...Russ is now enroute to Sacramento, hopefully to arrive alive Sunday night. Here is Russ arriving at Will Rogers World Airport this morning.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is Russ in a candid pose while changing the oil...he has a fine, steady hand, and no oil was injured during the taking of this picture

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Another shot of the RussTDI during its fast and furious maintenance before leaving for Sacramento.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Since you've probably never seen a picture of the front of a black 2k Jetta, we herewith present one for your viewing pleasure

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Since you've probably never seen the engine bay of a 2k Jetta, we herewith present a sparklingly clean one for your viewing pleasure...poor Russ was already talking about mods and chips before he left...I weep for his checking account

As you can plainly see, we filled his washer reservoir with Rain-X High Performance Moisture Repellent...we conservatively estimate a 10-12 mpg increase in fuel numbers if he uses it non-stop all the way to Flagstaff.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is Russ doing his "Am I Smilin, Jack?" imitation, as we copped some Mexican cuisine just before he hit the road.

Russ surprised me with a beautiful gift after I specifically told him not to do such a thing...I only hope he follows suggestions about his vehicle better than that!

Welcome to Fred's, Russ-man...oh, and I warned him about some of you...

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
By the way, Russ is in Sacramento and wants to hook up with any other TDIers in the area so he can become fully involved in this cult...er...band of brothers

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Werks you beaner

I didn't know Russ...someone suggested me...hey it may have been werks, even...as a possible resource in checking out a car here in OKC he discovered was for sale. Emailed me and talked on the phone, seemed a nice fellow...someone did the same thing for me many years ago so I payed it forward

I heard a rumor Werks has a tatoo of Lyle Lovett on his ankle...wait...maybe it's Julia Roberts...oh I can't remember (scratches head)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You need some plexiglass polish for them headlights! And is it just me... or did someone just rip the engine cover off that poor car? I think I see a chunk of it still attached.

Welcome to the club Russ!

"one of us one of us one of us..."

-Jason

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep the covers need some tlc, and there is a piece of the old cover that evidently came apart, but I told Rus those covers just hide evidence of any malfunctions so fuggetaboutit.

russliu

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, Black
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I now start to understand why you guys love your TDI so much. After the 27 hours non-stop driving from Oklohoma City to Sacramento, I think the TDI exceeded my expectations in many ways.

Thanks Rick for checking out the car, helping me with the express TLC. I could not have done this without your help. The new MAF sensor really made the difference! You gave me the warmest welcome to the club and made me proud to be a member myself.

Our trip back was as smooth as it can get. I took off from Oklahoma City around 3pm on saturday by myself, got to Albuquerque on one tank of fuel, filled up, picked up my brother, then went non-stop from there. Got home around 5pm Sunday. Total distance about 1,600 miles, total time includes stops 27 hours.

I think the car averaged only 38 MPG for this trip, part of the reason was because of our 80-85MPH driving, and the other reason is because two of the four fuel injectors are leaking a little bit. I will have that checked soon, I hope the mileage will improve then. Other than that, the car performed very well.

Again, thanks everyone and looking forward to interacting with you more.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Rus, once you get the time, need to find a Vag-Com or get one and check the timing, also pull the egr and see if it is clogged up in there, since we didn't have time. With the Vag-Com you'll also be able to check your turbo's operation and many other things.

Now you've done it...my wife has decided the tea set needs its own glass cabinet!!!!
Make sure your wife sends instructions about the tea and the ceremony

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the TDI exceeded my expectations in many ways.

Guys, does Russ REALLY know what he's in for
Don't worry about him
...he's restored a large sailing vessel and regularly does battle with a marine diesel engine...I suspect he could have gotten done more quickly without me mucking around in the garage.