Why would someone cut out the glow plug relay?!

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
The PO of my 1998 Jetta appears to have cut out the glow plug relay and relay plug out of the under-dash relay block.

Has anyone heard of this? Why would someone do this? I now have the large red wires with cut ends, and obviously no functioning glow plugs :(

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Did they start to part out the car before selling it complete?

It is rather odd that someone would go after the relay in that way if they intended to keep the car. The only benefit to cutting out the relay would be that you could transplant the holder into something else.

I feel for you in this case, working on adding that stuff back in under the dash is not going to be any fun.

Actually now that I think about it the first Mk3 tdi wiring harness that I got for my B3V, and the one that's actually installed, had the glow relay and holder cut out under the dash. I didn't realize it at the time so I had to add it back. That was before I picked up a couple more spare tdi harnesses.

Steve

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
If they had started parting it out, that would have been the first and only thing they sold! :confused:

Would you happen to have that section of wiring harness on your spares you'd consider selling??

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If they had started parting it out, that would have been the first and only thing they sold! :confused:

Would you happen to have that section of wiring harness on your spares you'd consider selling??
I'm sorry, but I do not. The B4 harness has been pledged to a friend for a flood car he's working on and the other Mk3 TDI harness goes with the spare engine.

I assume you need the 180 glow relay, the relay holder and probably the maxi fuse and holder?

Steve

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
I actually just need the relay holder - Is there a chance you could take a picture of what the holder looks like? I believe I could find something similar at the junk yard, but have no idea what it's supposed to look like!

Thanks for your help!