GSW AdBlue Heater Failure

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Well, it looks like the PAssat AdBlue heater issue may be contagious (My passat has a failed heater). Two days ago our GSW MIL came on, and I scanned it and got the following:

Address 01: Engine (CRUA J623) Labels: None
Part No SW: 04L 906 021 D HW: 04L 907 309
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H23 8413
Revision: 85H23---
Coding: 011D0012032410081000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00087
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01104L906021D 001014
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01104L906021D.rod
VCID: 260F659BCB52852C857FA4DB10-8073

2 Faults Found:
9654 - Output Module 1 for Heating of Reductant
P148B 00 [172] - Malfunction
MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

20558 - Heater Support Pump
P16C6 00 [032] - Running Dry
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Car is at the dealer now (under warranty) and we're waiting to hear back. The first fault seems obvious, but is the second related to the AdBlue or is it something else? A quick search seems to indicate this may be norma, has anyone here seen it?

Edited: Dealer confirmed it's the AdBlue heater, part will be in tomorrow.

Last edited:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
And, this was repaired under warranty.... and while on a trip we just got the same code, AGAIN!

Yes, I'll be getting the fix, because then I get the extended warranty.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't know if your second code is related to the cabin heater or the AdBlue heater. If it doesn't come back within a few days of clearing it, I wouldn't worry about it.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
It was scanned with a generic scanner at an auto parts place, which reported P148B. We'll see how it does on the rest of the trip but if it doesn't clear at least it's still under warranty.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Is the ad blue heater covered under the extended emissions system warranty? The one offered by the "fix"?
In our US version at least, it states that any part that would hinder the emissions system from functioning properly would also be warrantied.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
And CEL is back off... I bet it's a loose connection.
Full scan to follow.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
And CEL is back off... I bet it's a loose connection.
Full scan to follow.
On and off is pretty typical for an AdBlue heater failure. It could be an internal loose connection or it could be a sensor that is just on the edge of being out of spec. Regardless, the end result is replacement of the entire module.

orlando

TDI
2013 JSW & 2015 Golf (Formerly: 2000 JSW)
Would this malfunction, when present, be a reason NOT to buy a 2015 Golf? In other words, is it likely to be a recurring problem/annoyance, or once the module is replaced should it be okay for the long haul?

I have a chance to buy a 2015 with 29,000 miles. The catch is that the MIL is on with two malfuction codes, P148B and P148C, both apparently part of the Adblue Heater & Temp Sensor Module. I assume the fix is covered by warranty (the original warranty as well as the extended emissions warranty), but I'm wondering whether this problem at 29K miles, shortly after the first stage of the emissions fix, is cause for longer-term concern. How much, if at all, should it alter my view of the value of the car? Thanks in advance for any advice!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Where's the car for sale that won't fix it before being sold?

If it's an independent shop, ask for $3K off their asking price if they sell it to you with a CEL. Then take it to a dealer that will replace the parts for free.

orlando

TDI
Where's the car for sale that won't fix it before being sold?

If it's an independent shop, ask for $3K off their asking price if they sell it to you with a CEL. Then take it to a dealer that will replace the parts for free.
Good question! It's a large used lot (not VW dealer) with high turnover and aggressive pricing (known for not negotiating on prices, but like every other place they start cutting the price when a car sits around too long and this one as been sitting around too long). They claim the MIL wasn't on when they first listed it and came on recently while sitting on the cold lot. At first they promised to take it to a dealer for warranty repair, but when I later asked what was taking so long, the salesperson texted me the following: "Last time my manager and I spoke in regards to the vehicle he stated because the vehicle is under factory warranty, he will not be taking the vehicle to the manufacture. Whom ever decides to purchase the vehicle will be able to have it serviced no charge to them. Due to the time of the year it would take extended amount of time to have it serviced, because we are a business we do get pushed to the back of their priority list." So they won't accept $3K off but it is dropping $500 every couple weeks so eventually it will add up to $3K.

Stupid question: what is a "CEL"?

I've told them I would buy it at the current price if it were fixed. Given that others are not likely to buy it with the engine light on, I'm wondering how long to wait before taking it unfixed. And whether such a problem at only 30,000 miles is sign of a systemic problem that is likely to haunt me in the future . . . ?

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
A CEL is a Check Engine Light which means that the car will not pass emissions inspection. Here in Connecticut it would be illegal for any car dealer to sell that car without fixing the problem which caused the CEL.

orlando

TDI
Oh, so it really WAS a stupid question! Sounds like CEL is generic for what VW calls MIL. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal to sell the car here too (though we have no emissions inspections). I don't trust the dealer at all, which is good reason not to buy from them, though I think they're hurting themselves with such carelessness and if I can get a good enough deal. . . .

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Oh, so it really WAS a stupid question! Sounds like CEL is generic for what VW calls MIL. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal to sell the car here too (though we have no emissions inspections). I don't trust the dealer at all, which is good reason not to buy from them, though I think they're hurting themselves with such carelessness and if I can get a good enough deal. . . .
Your name is Orlando and you live in Dystopia? That doesn't help us to know what is a normal temp range for your location. :D

orlando

TDI
Your name is Orlando and you live in Dystopia? That doesn't help us to know what is a normal temp range for your location. :D
Ha! It's FREEZING here (Columbus Ohio) and has been for two weeks. What could be more dystopian than the midwest?

After a month of following prices and test driving, I decided not to buy one of the 2015s. Two GSWs with the SEL trim dropped under $18K (!) here (and two others dropped to ca. $19K), but the both had an MIL with emissions-related problems. (I confess I was going to buy one of them anyway if it came down another $500, but it sold first.) Now none are for sale in central Ohio for under $20K.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I expect a large majority of VWs with ad blue systems fail in the heater dpt. It is a know problem. My TREG tdi ad blue heater failed at 35K miles,replaced by VW under good will. Light just came on for a few days at 55k miles. I may be going back for another replacement. No big deal as long as they pay for it. I do have a 100m 10yr extended warranty which has been very handy.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Ha! It's FREEZING here (Columbus Ohio) and has been for two weeks. What could be more dystopian than the midwest?

After a month of following prices and test driving, I decided not to buy one of the 2015s. Two GSWs with the SEL trim dropped under $18K (!) here (and two others dropped to ca. $19K), but the both had an MIL with emissions-related problems. (I confess I was going to buy one of them anyway if it came down another $500, but it sold first.) Now none are for sale in central Ohio for under $20K.
I grew up in Waverly. Yeah, I know the freaking out every time there is 2" of snow.

FWIW, I have a 2015 that I bought in September and have been driving here in Anchorage since then. Yes, I have a garage, but it's parked at work in sub freezing temps all day and I have had no problems.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
It matters for my own curiosity, and to learn more about these increasingly complicated cars.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
If you have the ability to reset the code, do it. My '14 Passat SEL def heater threw the code a few thousand miles ago (135k now). I researched the least costly replacement (T-Reg part with harness mod) and decided to try resetting first. After two or three resets a couple of days apart no more code or dash light. We are in the middle of some of the coldest weather in years, single digit nights and teens by day. Indicated -4F on my commute last week.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself!!

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
So the car threw the code again, just before we got the fix. I cleared it (since it was technically out of warranty at the time) and the dealer did the fix without any issues. It's now thrown the code post-fix and goes in tomorrow for repair. We'll see if they replace the AdBlue tank again, or check for loose connections. It seems that the code only show up in cold weather (which would make sense, since that's when it needs the heater.)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where is the heater, how easy to change, and how expensive?
I think dealers charge around a +grand, parts are around 3-400, I believe the tank/heater/sensor/pump is located in the right rear wheel well area.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
So the car threw the code again, just before we got the fix...We'll see if they replace the AdBlue tank again, or check for loose connections.
And the dealer says the Heater isn't covered by the extended emissions warranty. On hold with VW cusotmer careless now. :mad:

Edit: VW confirms that the AdBlue heater is not part of "The entire exhaust after treatment system." They are going to talk to the dealer and see what can be worked out.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Have you tried disputing it with them? All disputes are supposed to be resolved in favor of the owner. I would contact the Class attorneys and get them on it, maybe.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you tried disputing it with them? All disputes are supposed to be resolved in favor of the owner. I would contact the Class attorneys and get them on it, maybe.
Not yet, I need to see what they come back with. But yes, I do plan to dispute of necessary. I just need to have all the relevant documents ready to quote to them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow NOx related emissions components isn't covered by the EPA approved fix related warranty, that's a good one!!!!

If they are replacing heater cores under the extended warranties, yet not the any part of the DEF system that's just ripe.

Best of luck and report back the outcome.