400 miles per tank at best

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
What kind of driving? City/highway/mix, and what speeds?

Lots of A/C usage?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Hmm... 400 miles / 12 gallons = 33 MPG

I have no idea if that's normal for an auto at 70 MPH.

Can someone with an A4 4a tranny comment?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Check all the basics first

tire pressure
air filter
last oil change - what oil

then move on after you have done those things

fuel filter
auto trans fluid check or change what is total miles

after you are sure about these things you will save the forum people who help you time. fuel type D2 or a bio etc.

vag-com - MAF

Jwheelwr

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I have a 2003 GLS TDI auto tranny. Best I ever got was 42mpg at 70mph. I usually drive @ 75mph and get 39mpg. I run my tires at 40psi and use D2 fuel.

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
Dump that K&N, and buy a new Maf since the K&N probably ruined it already.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
...At least the oil is 505.00...
Easy starts or Jackrabbit starts? I'll second the dumping of the K&N, by tomorrow we'll have 20 agreeing to dump it...
-BB

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
edward.dillard@gmail.com said:
148k miles new k&n air filter, oil changed today mobil 1 0w40,fuel filter is next what auto trans fluid should i use and how do you fill and check it?
First you must ID the trans - type and code - date of manufacture would be great

my DSG - is a 02E and code HQN - 07/19/2005

Then return to the forum and find out all the fluids that are suitable for your trans - then make a educated decision on which fluid to use

PS do a glide test and make sure your alignment is good - you can tell allot by how the tires have worn miles - condition

and some experience has said dump the K&N and replcae the MAF - you probably should do that.

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Jwheelwr said:
I have a 2003 GLS TDI auto tranny. Best I ever got was 42mpg at 70mph. I usually drive @ 75mph and get 39mpg. I run my tires at 40psi and use D2 fuel.
2000 Jetta TDI auto here, 66k miles, very similar results...

injector pump timing set to maximum advance within tolerance...
snowscreenectomy
ventectomy (to get 16+ gallons in tank)
Bridgestone tires at 42 psi (max 45 psi)
Kerma line pressure mod (might cost 1 mpg?)
Serviced transmission with Amsoil ATF and new filter at 60k miles
Panzer plate (maybe .1 mpg less? but I had it added to protect 2005 oil pan that came on the car when we bought it a couple of months ago... original owner must have broken the original pan)

Car was driven (offroad disclaimer) 80-90 mph on 100 mile (simulated) highway trips with A/C on max and occasional bursts to 105-110 mph, Consistently got 37 mpg.

Recently upgraded to RocketChip stage II and transmission sport mode shifting... car has noticeable more power at all speeds and has seen 125 mph (offroad disclaimer) and was still pulling strong when I lifted... so far the limited data shows 35 mpg mixed driving with bursts of driving like an idiot and 39 mpg doing 80-90 with the A/C on...

I have just gone to max tire pressure at 45 psi and the weak struts and shocks feel much better now.

-I am waiting on Kerma 357 nozzles that are on backorder.
-I am planning to convert the R134a A/C refrigerant to R416 soon to improve how cold the car gets inside and to reduce the loss of horsepower to turn the compressor. R416 runs at a much lower pressure so the parasitic loss is reduced and the fuel economy my improve 1-2 mpg with the A/C on.
- This fall I plan to switch the coolant to Amsoil brand propylene glycol at 67%. Is is a little less viscosity than ethylene glycol so again a little less parasitic loss turning the water pump. Maybe .01 mpg improvement? Much safer and better on the environment as it is not a deadly toxin like G12. Plus the Jetta will match the rest of my fleet and the Amsoil coolant is rated at 7 years and 250,000 miles.

-I am considering a ring and pinion change to a higher highway gear. It will not be an easy process the first time because few here have ever done it to an automatic. The speedometer will need correction too. I will buy a second 01M transaxle and gear swap it then R&R it into the car. That way if I have trouble I can swap back.

-Another option would be to change to lighter and larger diameter wheels and tires to effectively change the final drive ratio. But steering geometry is affected by this and I want the car to look stealthily stock.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yea, I am currently using the Amsoil European 5w40 505.01 recomended engine oil.

I plan to try the Elf CRV 506.01 VW certified 0w30 oil soon as it promises improved fuel economy and 20k mile change intervals.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
x4 on dropping the K&N - the stock paper air filter has MORE than enough flow for even heavily modded TDIs.

OH - BTW - I'm generally getting 35-38 MPG on my 2000 TDI NB 4 speed automatic, with full A/C, generally driving the speed limit to a "bit" above, mostly highway.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just from reading the post I see they say Amsoil is suitable - there is a Redline fluid as well the OEM fluid.

You are also getting milage stats for comparison - you may want to try the speed limits and see if that helps :)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also keep in mind that ONE tank is not a good basis for fuel economy, nor if you don't fill it so you can "see" the fuel in the filler neck (see also "ventectomy"). It generally takes about 3 tanks to get a good running average on your MPG.

After venting, I can generally get 500 miles per tank pretty easily.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
wjdell said:
You are also getting mileage stats for comparison - you may want to try the speed limits and see if that helps :)
Bahhh... we bought the TDI so we could speed AND get decent mileage too... few cars can do BOTH well... our time is worth something and speed tends to enhance Fahrvergnügen... besides, those pent up on driving like grandma to eek out another .001 mpg need to liberate their inner Fast a little... :D :D :D

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
scooperhsd said:
Also keep in mind that ONE tank is not a good basis for fuel economy, nor if you don't fill it so you can "see" the fuel in the filler neck (see also "ventectomy"). It generally takes about 3 tanks to get a good running average on your MPG.

After venting, I can generally get 500 miles per tank pretty easily.
I let the foam settle a few times until the clear diesel is to the brim... I like to see a little spill onto the ground so that I know the tank can hold no more. Yea, I know that when it rains it washes my fuel drippings into the rivers and streams. But the way I see it, the fish will eventually adapt to it or go extinct... besides, the spilt diesel will help wash away the used motor oil that I pour down the storm drain... ;) :D :D :D

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Dunno513 said:
Maybe just 3 places. I only notice a slight drop from easy driving to spirited driving. ;)
Either your spirited driving lacks spirit:D or your easy driving is not as easy as it could/should be. Not sure if I could get myself to actually test it, but I bet I could easily swing my MPG by 10 just with driving style.

I currently have 477 miles and am between 3/4 and 5/8 on a vented tank, so yeah, I think there is something wrong (auto trans is the first thing that comes to mind:) ) but seriously - I think that if you're driving decently, and keeping your speeds below 70 as you say, you should be in the low 40's (based on what I've seen here from other auto A4's). Check the basics, read the 101 info, read and learn.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LurkerMike said:
Bahhh... we bought the TDI so we could speed AND get decent mileage too... few cars can do BOTH well... our time is worth something and speed tends to enhance Fahrvergnügen... besides, those pent up on driving like grandma to eek out another .001 mpg need to liberate their inner Fast a little... :D :D :D
Thats funny :) you are correct these cars will go fast and get great milage but he is not happy at 33 mpg - 80 mph

Time is important - then why spend all that time at the pump - first click and move on down the highway. First click is very consistant -

I once traveled 2170 - Ohio to Long Beach Calif never exceeded 62 mph and made it in 43 hours 24 minutes. My co pilot never drove just map and make sure I never feel asleep. 2170 miles :)

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
edward.dillard@gmail.com said:
148k miles new k&n air filter, oil changed today mobil 1 0w40,fuel filter is next what auto trans fluid should i use and how do you fill and check it?
Suggestions:

1. Get rid of the K&N air filter immediately, it does nothing for performance in a TDI and can ruin your Mass Air Flo sensor. (MAF), as well as allowing your engine to breathe dirt and get a quickie bore job. Diesels need extremely clean air to last and maintain the tight MFG tolerances, nothing filters better than the stock paper element from Mann filters.

2. Have your timing belt checked and also find someone local that can run VAGCOM diagnostics on your car to see where your timing is set.

3. How old are you? Drive your car like an old grandpa with a feather foot and your MPG should do way better, drive it like Mario Andretti, and your MPG will go out your exhaust in a cloud of smoke.

4. Fo summer use, I'd recommend a good 5w-40 full synthetic, 0w-40 will give you oil consumption in the summer Florida heat.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I beg to differ about "first click is very consistent" - maybe if you always fuel at the exact same pump - and I have been driving for a VERY long time (31 years and counting, well over 500K miles). Visually seeing the fuel / watching it come out IS consistent.