Cabin Filter Replacement??

TopherAC

OK...I know this isn't suppose to be hard, but I have a question regarding the plastic cover/trim piece that you have to unscrew and remove to reach the cabin filter. No problem up until the point I have to put the plastic cover back on. My difficulities are with that large tab on the left hand side of the cover. What is the trick to getting that tab back where it is suppose to be so that the piece sits properly. I finally said F*%& it and broke the tab off. Much easier to remove and replace now. Doesn't much matter now, but I would just like to know.

penclnck

They are really pretty easy to put in, you just need to know what to look for.

If you flex the plastic cowl trim that runs along the lower edge of the windshield, and look in where that drip tray goes, towards the right side (car's rigth) you will see a piece of sheet metal that dips down for maybe 2 or 3 inches, that is 95% of hassle right there.

When I go to put the drip tray back in, I flex the cowl trim up several inches, then take the drip tray and with the back edge pointing downward, maybe 60 or 70 degrees, I slip it in and make sure the back edge clears that metal tab. Once you do that, you should have litte troulbe fitting it in the rest of the way.

Hope this helps out.

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
On my 2001 Jetta sedan the black cover came out and was replaced with very little persuasion. BUT, on the 2002 Jetta wagon I could talk and pray all I wanted, and I couldn't get it back. Eventually broke off tab on left and it slid right into place. Mexican vs German assembly?

penclnck

German or Mexico... same thing really when it comes to the drip tray.

I use to hate doing the pollen filters, but once you learn them, they are really super easy. I broke several learning, to the point I could ramble off that part number. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif