RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
It did at the first attempt and a few seconds later I saw a disc error message and the DVD ejected automatically. At all later attempts it went right to the disc error and subsequent disc eject.
I did all three updates, including the maps, and all three discs were burned on a venerable Mac G5 cheese grater desktop, using the built-in Sony Superdrive and Disk Utility. The CDs for the VIM and firmware upgrades burned the first time, but it took two tries when burning the map .iso file to a Verbatim DVD+R DL disk. In my experience, DL DVDs are not all that robust when it comes to burning, and will sometimes fail when verifying. I suggest trying a different brand of media.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
so, has anyone tried doing maps via sdhc card?
it looks possible,however looks can be deceiving...
EDIT: perhaps one shouldn't even try... when it comes to the RNS-510, if it refuses to load disks, i cannot imagine SD cards could be ANY faster, especially considering the processor bottleneck:eek:

Last edited:

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Looks good. Will your software do a verify/compare?
Yes, it checked out fine. I may try to download this file again, one can never completely rule out a download corruption.

Burn it at the slowest setting, not Auto.
Disk Utility on a Mac doesn't have a setting to change the burn speed, at least I'm not aware of that. My other burn apps do, but apparently they don't burn in the right format.

I suggest trying a different brand of media.
I will try that later this afternoon, thanks all for your help and input!

On second thought, and if everything else fails, would anyone of you be willing to lend me your working DVD, I'll pay for shipping and will return the disc right away?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
L version?

What's new with that?

My "K" unit has terrible bugs that are worse than my "A" unit was in my '09. Fails to start up or takes 5-10 minutes to come online after starting the car. Even the 3 finger salute doesn't help sometimes.

Definitely bringing this up at my 30 day checkup, however I don't expect much as we probably know more about these nav units than most dealer techs do. I suspect if anything, it'll just be a replacement unit of the same thing.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Loki, any updates for me? ;)

Thanks, yes, as I am sure you figured out 5374/L is the most current version. It is the same hardware as a K unit apparently, but with new Firmware. As soon as I get a hold of a copy I will have it available for those of you stuck on 4369.

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
OMG, success!!! I finally managed to update the maps on my RNS-510. It took eight(!) attempts, trying different brands of DL DVDs and various ways of burning on my Mac.

Eventually Verbatim was successful, burned with Disk Utility, without any burn speed restrictions.

Thank you LokiWolf and all for your help! :)

Whitecloud1

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Mk4 w/ 250K+ . 2013 Passat SEL 45K+
Now it works like the unit I originally paid for.

Lokiwolf,
Thanks for the help! this is the unit that I originally paid VW for. It's MUCH faster than the original OS in my Passat.

take care,

Whitecloud

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I've been stuck with a 2014 Lincoln MKZ with Ford's SYNC for the past two weeks.

Amazingly, the RNS-510 is superior.

OEMs need to pull their heads out of their asses and partner up with Apple/Google and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
My car is at the dealer now getting a new RNS-510 installed. Long startup times, SD card errors, and random freezes. Figure if I get the same unit/FW I'll probably have the same issues. There's no FW updates available from VW at the moment.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
This is happening. Apple has this thing that will be released in iOS 7.1 called Carnet. It's probably not going to be spectacular at launch, but it is the beginning.

Fortran

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hello, all. I've had a '13 Passat TDI SEL for a few months now and I happened upon this thread in my searches on Google about updating maps on my car (here in DC they are quite laughable around some places!). I hope you don't mind if I am a bit "newbie" at this and ask dumb questions.
First, if I want to check the versions on my car, I press and hold "Setup" and get to the version info page, right and that'll let me know if my maps are old?

Last edited:

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)
This is happening. Apple has this thing that will be released in iOS 7.1 called Carnet. It's probably not going to be spectacular at launch, but it is the beginning.
The iOS thing is called iOS in Car and was previewed with iOS 7 though it appears that VW wasn't on the list to get it at first. I suspect that if anything, VW will partner with Google for Android in the Car (see below)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/30/google-audi-to-announce-android-in-car/

Which I would prefer over iOS personally as Android will allow for a greater variety of apps and hopefully maintain side-loading of apps. Also, Google Maps integration presents a better alternative to Apple's mapping tools which are lackluster and lack accuracy over Google's mapping suite.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
There's no FW updates available from VW at the moment.
Well duh...

If it is a new unit from VW, it might be an L, which has a new firmware version. Post up what you have when you get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Well duh...

If it is a new unit from VW, it might be an L, which has a new firmware version. Post up what you have when you get it.

Nope. Got a KX unit. Used it for all of about 10 minutes so far and it seems OK, but my issues were largely hit or miss prior.

However, I did get the shaft in that this unit cut short my Sirius trial - still had 60 or so days to go. I'm sure going to the service department tomorrow is probably going to be futile.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Nope. Got a KX unit. Used it for all of about 10 minutes so far and it seems OK, but my issues were largely hit or miss prior.

However, I did get the shaft in that this unit cut short my Sirius trial - still had 60 or so days to go. I'm sure going to the service department tomorrow is probably going to be futile.
Can you post the firmware version please?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Will do. I believe it's the same firmware as the unit it replaced, 4xxx. The part number from the version info screen reports as a "K" unit. (Sorry, it's too cold to go outside and get the exact number. I'll get it tomorrow, when it's even colder :p)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Anybody know a way to display signal strength for the GPS? Ours has been fine since update in June, and now the GPS is stuck in DC (we have never been . . . ) and the current position shows 0/10 on sattelites. The diag screens show signal strength for everything else, which is all good. (And no, not in demo mode, and reboot has no impact . . ). I have not had a chance to scan it yet, and suspect the antenna, but figured I'd ask and see if anyobe else has seed this.

- Tim

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Anybody know a way to display signal strength for the GPS? Ours has been fine since update in June, and now the GPS is stuck in DC (we have never been . . . ) and the current position shows 0/10 on sattelites. The diag screens show signal strength for everything else, which is all good. (And no, not in demo mode, and reboot has no impact . . ). I have not had a chance to scan it yet, and suspect the antenna, but figured I'd ask and see if anyobe else has seed this.

- Tim
If you enable the service menu with VCDS (module 37 adaptation channel 50 set value to 1), you can get a menu that will tell you what it thinks the GPS position is as well as the number of satellites and antenna status.

mingtwo

TDI
2012 Tiguan
Thank you Loki, my RNS510 is updated.

I used DVD for both firmware and map as I don't have any empty CD, and it worked fine. I burned the disks with Mac disk utility.

For the map update, when it started to download data, I removed the key (screen -> dark) and pressed power bottom of RNS510 (screen back on), locked the car, it continued to download. And after about an hour, I went back to the car, pressed power button on RNS to wake the screen, it indicated that download finished and DVD to be removed. So it should be safe to lock the car while the map is being updated, no need to keep the key inserted or drive around.

mtbcoe

TDI
2010 TDI Wagon 2012 TDI Wagon
RCD510 Question for anyone

I have a 2010 JSW with a dead head unit. Everything worked fine until I made the mistake of changing a tail light with the car running and the radio on. The radio went dead and there was a loud pulsing sound coming through the speakers. I actually had to disconnect the battery to make it stop.

All fuses good, incuding the 15A on the back of the head unit, but the unit is completely dead.

I removed it and opened it up, no signs of anything blown and no lectrical smells (I realize that is no guarentee).

Is it possible that the head unit is fine and the external amp is blown? Does that ext amp feed pwr to the unit, or only amplify the audio.

Anyway don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any advice/direction.

MTBCOE
mtbcoe@hotmail.com

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
I have a 2010 JSW with a dead head unit. Everything worked fine until I made the mistake of changing a tail light with the car running and the radio on. The radio went dead and there was a loud pulsing sound coming through the speakers. I actually had to disconnect the battery to make it stop.

All fuses good, incuding the 15A on the back of the head unit, but the unit is completely dead.

I removed it and opened it up, no signs of anything blown and no lectrical smells (I realize that is no guarentee).

Is it possible that the head unit is fine and the external amp is blown? Does that ext amp feed pwr to the unit, or only amplify the audio.

Anyway don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any advice/direction.

MTBCOE
mtbcoe@hotmail.com

Your 2010 has no external amplifier. I don't think there was a premium audio option available in the 2010 Jetta/JSW models. I think the Golf could have gotten a Dynaudio option, but it was pretty rare. You can check for the presence of an external amplifier under the drivers seat. That's where VW has been sticking them since the MkV chassis came out.

With that being said..Does the head unit light up at all?

Not sure how a tail light change / failure could have caused what you are describing to occur, but apparently it did.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Your 2010 has no external amplifier. I don't think there was a premium audio option available in the 2010 Jetta/JSW models. I think the Golf could have gotten a Dynaudio option, but it was pretty rare. You can check for the presence of an external amplifier under the drivers seat. That's where VW has been sticking them since the MkV chassis came out.

With that being said..Does the head unit light up at all?

Not sure how a tail light change / failure could have caused what you are describing to occur, but apparently it did.
Just like any other electrical component. Messing with them with the car on, is a bad idea.

Replace the fuse on the back of the radio, regardless of what it looks like. That is where I would start. Do you have VCDS? If so, codes?

ChrisB009

Updated with issues...

Updated the head unit however seems the dreaded Bluetooth issue is back. When using Bluetooth hands free it flakes out...will eventually sound like the remote party is speaking in a tunnel and can hardly hear what's being said. Its been occuring since I took delivery. Dealership did replace the Head Unit (due to an overheating condition) within the first week and the Bluetooth module just recently...seemed too help until I did the FW update. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks,

Chris

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Updated the head unit however seems the dreaded Bluetooth issue is back. When using Bluetooth hands free it flakes out...will eventually sound like the remote party is speaking in a tunnel and can hardly hear what's being said. Its been occuring since I took delivery. Dealership did replace the Head Unit (due to an overheating condition) within the first week and the Bluetooth module just recently...seemed too help until I did the FW update. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks,

Chris
UnPair the phone and Pair it again. See if that helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.