JSW tdi 6spd vs Passat tdi 6spd

considering a tdi

TDI
Jetta sportwagon ASAP
I'm considering making a switch to a new Passat 6spd tdi from my current JSW tdi with a 6spd trans. I'm not sure the additional roomier interior is worth the possible loss in fuel mileage from my current JSW tdi with 6spd trans. I know I will have to deal with Ad Blue and a heavier car if I do trade up to the bigger Passat. If I knew I could get similiar mileage from the Passat I think I would pull the trigger, as the kids are only getting bigger and the back seat for them is only going to get more cramped for them. Any current Passat tdi owners with 6 spd trans can give me some honest feedback on what they are getting for fuel mileage? I'm getting between 44mpg & 48 mpg with my current JSW tdi with 6spd trans.
Thanks much,

PressEnter[]

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M
You've got nothing to worry about there. Check out Fuelly, and the Passat section here. The Passat generally does quite a bit better than the JSW.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I'm considering making a switch to a new Passat 6spd tdi from my current JSW tdi with a 6spd trans. I'm not sure the additional roomier interior is worth the possible loss in fuel mileage from my current JSW tdi with 6spd trans. I know I will have to deal with Ad Blue and a heavier car if I do trade up to the bigger Passat. If I knew I could get similiar mileage from the Passat I think I would pull the trigger, as the kids are only getting bigger and the back seat for them is only going to get more cramped for them. Any current Passat tdi owners with 6 spd trans can give me some honest feedback on what they are getting for fuel mileage? I'm getting between 44mpg & 48 mpg with my current JSW tdi with 6spd trans.
Thanks much,
Spend some time in the NMS/B7 Passat forum and read the mileage threads on both the DSG and 6M Passats. Mileage wise you will see the new Passat does at least as well, if not better, than the JSW. I drive the speed limit, 90% of my driving is on the highway and I average 54mpg in the summer and 49 mph in the winter. See my numbers on Fuelly.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
The 2012+ Passat TDI seems to be getting the best of the 2009+ VW TDIs under the same driving conditions. If you like the car, get it.

Have you heard about the Lower 48 record?

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
Passat TDI hands down. No competition.

The Passat TDI uses the same engine, but a more fuel efficient exhaust. The DPF in the Jetta not only has worse fuel economy, but fails more often and is more expensive to repair.

With that said, I got the JSW 6MT because of the handling and the size. I prefer my cars *just* big enough for my needs, but not any bigger. The Passat TDI is a nice car for sure, but just a tad too big for my tastes.

considering a tdi

TDI
Jetta sportwagon ASAP
So does the Passat have a DPF like the JSW? Or does it just use the Ad Blue treatment and that's it? This exhaust thing has me interested for sure. Don't get me wrong, I do like my JSW, I'm just looking for more interior room for the ever so fast growing kiddos:) But I don't want to lose a bunch of fuel economy over the larger interior cabin space. I need to find out how much heavier the Passat is vs the JSW. I don't get the EPA. The heavier the car, the required use of DEF??

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
It uses AdBlue (or an equivalent).

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
The Passat is a heavier car than the JSW, the Passat does have a DPF, but it can't meet emission standards without using DEF (AdBlue) as well. Because they do have to use DEF, they can tune the engine differently which actually provides better MPG's. If you search Fuelly for JSW 6M and for Passat 6M, you will find on average the Passat does better MPG wise. My friend has a JSW 6M and I average about 8 mpg more than he does. Although he also drives a little faster than I do. I just completed a 200 mile trip from Mass to Maine, average MPG for the trip-- 55.6 mpg. :)

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
So does the Passat have a DPF like the JSW?
Yes.

Or does it just use the Ad Blue treatment and that's it?
Not just Ad Blue, DPF plus DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid).

But I don't want to lose a bunch of fuel economy over the larger interior cabin space.
You won't. Look at the histogram for all 2013 diesel Passats. Averaging in the low 40's. Compare to Jettas about 2MPG lower. IMHO, that's insignificant to not choose one over the other. You cannot filter DSG vs. 6M, but generally the 6M is getting 2-4mpg better for the same driving conditions as DSG. And the larger, heavier Passat is getting slightly better FE. The use of DEF, the different injectors, the different turbo, all allow the VW engineers to fine tune it to be IMHO the best of the current 2.0TDI equipped vehicles.

I need to find out how much heavier the Passat is vs the JSW.
Why? Weight is not that important on the highway, somewhat in the city. Get one, love it!

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
I hope they use the Passat exhaust system in the next JSW and Golf. I'm guessing/assuming/hoping the North American Passat has it now since it is a newer platform and that it points towards the future. The 2013 JSW is still an MKV, i.e. older platform.

Anyone know what the 2014 and 2015 Golf will use in terms of DEF or re-gen ?

wild_phil

TDI
None yet
So I assume no one is deleting these DPF and DEF systems?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

considering a tdi

TDI
Jetta sportwagon ASAP
I have to say, I got 48.6 mpg hand calculated on my jsw on one of my last big road trips. That def seems much better mpg than what you've been getting.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Passat TDI hands down. No competition.

The Passat TDI uses the same engine, but a more fuel efficient exhaust. The DPF in the Jetta not only has worse fuel economy, but fails more often and is more expensive to repair.

With that said, I got the JSW 6MT because of the handling and the size. I prefer my cars *just* big enough for my needs, but not any bigger. The Passat TDI is a nice car for sure, but just a tad too big for my tastes.
It doesn't use the same engine, actually. It's similar, but not the same. The Passat's engine code is CKRA and it uses different injectors (high speed solenoid vs. piezo) in addition to lower injection pressures, a smaller turbo, and air-to-water intercooler in addition to all of the exhaust differences already mentioned.

Bottom line, expect a significant MPG increase compared to your current JSW.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
My 2013 Passat 6M is getting way better mpg than my 2012 Jetta DSG. Jetta with 7000 miles best tank is 41. Two fills in the Passat have been 46.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
Im sure they are, but doubtful from a lot of guys on here. Are you on psa by any chance?
I just did the Malone Stage 2 / DPF delete yesterday. It's a different car now. It was a 400 mile round trip to the dealer that did the tune. The first 200 (pre-tune) miles were at 38MPG, the return trip clocked in at 49MPG.

In Canada, we don't have emissions requirements as they do in most states.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I just did the Malone Stage 2 / DPF delete yesterday. It's a different car now. It was a 400 mile round trip to the dealer that did the tune. The first 200 (pre-tune) miles were at 38MPG, the return trip clocked in at 49MPG.
In Canada, we don't have emissions requirements as they do in most states.
Oh great, kill us all with your pollution!:eek::D and then brag about the great MPG you get!!!:eek:

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Oh great, kill us all with your pollution!:eek::D and then brag about the great MPG you get!!!:eek:
Youre not thinking about it in the long run, just like the epa, would you not agree that the extra fuel mileage from deleting, is better than using a good percentage more fuel with having the dpf intact? The more fuel produced means more pollution from refineries/ the trucks that haul the fuel, etc...

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
At risk of starting a debate about the environment, my tuned TDI's emissions aren't any "dirtier" than a mid 2000's TDI, and I chose to keep a catalytic converter. We're all looking for better MPG, to save money and help our environment.

The DPF in a MKV6 is a pay-me-now or pay-me-later proposition. It eventually needs to get replaced at a cost of around $2000 (or more). I chose to spend the money now and recover the cost in fuel savings - and the peace of mind of never having to replace or service the DPF in the future.

I figure that before the tune, I was on track to burn about 800 gallons of diesel per year. Assuming a 10-12% increase in fuel economy, I'll now be using about 700. That's 100 gallons of diesel per year that I won't be burning.

Last edited:

BGR Alex

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI 6MT
Have you driven the new Passat? I chose a 2013 JSW over the 2013 Passat because I couldn't get comfortable in the Passat. It rode smoother/quieter and felt a little peppier, but the steering wheel felt somewhat shifted to the right while the left armrest for the driver felt too far away (even the right armrest felt pretty far away). Even after adjusting the wheel, my arms felt like they were hanging in the air.

Just FYI.