UNOFFICIAL Adblue Heater Element Failure Thread

Sbieshelt

TDI
Jetta passat
I have the same heater failure. I'm in md and it's not a big deal to me. I think ours went bad at 70k. I'm at 120k now with the only issue being the mil light on. It has made it thru 2 winters and no issues. We took it in to get our vw gift cards turned on and asked if they would fix it and they wanted $1200. They asked how long it had been on and my wife said about 2 years. This is the same dealer/ service manager that didn't know we needed ad blue during the free service oil changes. If it's warm, and you can stand the stupid light have no worries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garvey

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Greetings, first post here. My 2013 Passat SEL TDI with 65k miles had the CEL come on about one month ago. Dealer wanted $75 to pull the code. Took it to auto parts store and they got P202B code for no cost. Called dealer and they still need to run the code themselves. So drove for a couple weeks and light went off. Hmm, maybe I got lucky and it was a false alarm.

Nope, few days later CEL is on again. Reluctantly took it to the dealer and they pulled the P202A instead of P202B. So why the difference? They gave me the $1200 quote and I declined. Contacted customer care to see about them paying up but they declined.

I had been hoping to drive the car for 12-18 months before buyback. Need tires too. Now considering just doing buyback ASAP rather than invest more money. It's great to know there is a potential cheap (relatively) fix. Still debating on what to do. May buy some cheap tires and drive it while I can if the CEL code doesn't stop me. Do live in Iowa so can get below zero here on occasion.

tdiDreaming

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
P202B at 94k miles

Year: 2013
Mileage: 94k~
Warning Light(s): CEL, solid (not flashing).
Code(s): P202B
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: No symptoms. It has been at least a couple of months since I had the car serviced and the DEF filled up at the dealership so I don't think I'm either too full or too low.
Repair Time: TBD
Any pertinent info from dealer: Haven't taken it in yet.

My question here is regarding the supposed warranty we will be getting with the ongoing settlement if we take the fix. Is there a precedent for VW or other manufacturers to retroactively cover fixes like this? I tend to think that both the dealership and VW are going to fight me on covering anything if I wait until later to resolve the issue when I get the emissions fix, but I'm curious if anyone has any insight.

I'm also wondering how far I might get with VWoA if I use the settlement as a bargaining chip. I have genuinely been on the bubble for months trying to decide whether to get the car fixed or turn it in. I was currently on the 'fix it' side, but if I have to drop $1200~ to repair what appears to be a common malfunction I might be persuaded fairly quickly to send the TDI packing and take my money elsewhere. My guess/hope is that VW might bend a little if they think they can save a few thousand bucks to keep me on the 'fix it' side and help me out but I may be giving them too much credit.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Patrikop

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE
CEL Adblue Heater

Mileage: 130,000
TDI, 2.0
Took the car to Oreillys to check the code, dealer wants $130 to do the same. Filled with Oreillys DEF fluid and the light went off by itself 3 days later. I have a feeling the def fluid level indicator is not working and the fluid went dry throwing a heater indicator. After the fluid was full again, light goes off, just my theory. I hit the brakes really hard right before the light went off too. Just a weird occurrence but the damn light will probably come on again. First and last VW, I can tell you this much. Already replaced a water pump for $1,200

o_a_ravi

TDI
Passat TDI SE 2.0T
Mileage: 130,000
TDI, 2.0
Took the car to Oreillys to check the code, dealer wants $130 to do the same. Filled with Oreillys DEF fluid and the light went off by itself 3 days later. I have a feeling the def fluid level indicator is not working and the fluid went dry throwing a heater indicator. After the fluid was full again, light goes off, just my theory. I hit the brakes really hard right before the light went off too. Just a weird occurrence but the damn light will probably come on again. First and last VW, I can tell you this much. Already replaced a water pump for $1,200
I had the same issue with the level sensor unit, tripping the CEL on and off, quite intermittent. Upon removing the tank and inspecting, it appears the sensor inside the tank heater has 4 electrodes/Leads. One for Common, and the other 3 for sensing the levels - Low, Medium and High.

In my case, 2 electodes were heavily crystallized, I believe, when the fluid was low, the crystallization was formed., causing incorrect reading (resistance). Even just refilling the adblue will not fix the issue.

All did was thoroughly clean/scrub the crystals from the sensors and reinstall., its been ~ 500 miles and has not complained it yet.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
just received this from VW this morning, mine is a 2012:

I also wanted to let you know that a warranty extension has recently been issued for your Passat’s Adblue Heater. This warranty extension covers repairs to the Adblue heating element for ten years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the in-service date of ---,-- ----. You should be receiving more information about this warranty extension in the mail soon as this has just been released since my last contact with you. Because your vehicle’s Adblue light is illuminating, your local VW dealer can inspect your VW and confirm if the repair falls under this warranty extension.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

I also wanted to let you know that a warranty extension has recently been issued for your Passat’s Adblue Heater. This warranty extension covers repairs to the Adblue heating element for ten years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the in-service date of ---,-- ----. You should be receiving more information about this warranty extension in the mail soon as this has just been released since my last contact with you. Because your vehicle’s Adblue light is illuminating, your local VW dealer can inspect your VW and confirm if the repair falls under this warranty extension.
Huzzah! That's good news! We'll finally be able to get rid of our check engine light. ;)

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on the mailbox for official information from VW.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
My light just came on this morning with 124,500 on it.. Figures just out of warranty.. Between this and timing belt in few months I might have do the buy out.. I wanted to keep it.. Bummed this car been great..

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI

Of course they cover it after I spent hundreds of dollars a few months ago repairing it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Just received official notice from VWoA of extended warranty (10yrs/120,000m) for the AdBlue system for 2012-2014 (CKRA) Passats.

Included in the envelope is the "Warranty Extension Reimbursement Request Form" for those that have already paid for the repair.

Have...a...nice...day...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
In my case, 2 electodes were heavily crystallized, I believe, when the fluid was low, the crystallization was formed., causing incorrect reading (resistance). Even just refilling the adblue will not fix the issue.

All did was thoroughly clean/scrub the crystals from the sensors and reinstall., its been ~ 500 miles and has not complained it yet.
This is a very likely theory. My solution is not to let the tank get low. Our Passat uses just under a 2.5 gal jug of DEF between oil changes, so I just fill the tank when the oil change is done. Eight bucks from Rural King.

asolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Got the letter...submitted year-old docs from the dealer...total about $495 after VW paid the other half. Yay for VW stepping up...but boo for VW not picking it up at the head end for obvious emission system component. Reasons for diesel enthusiasm fading here. I've reallyreallyreally loved this car but the game is up. I'll be selling it back.

tdiDreaming

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Sweet sassy-molassy! I just received my extended warranty letter in the mail over the weekend and couldn't be happier since my MIL just fired off a week or two ago and I hadn't forked over any money yet!

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Got the letter...submitted year-old docs from the dealer...total about $495 after VW paid the other half. Yay for VW stepping up...but boo for VW not picking it up at the head end for obvious emission system component. Reasons for diesel enthusiasm fading here. I've reallyreallyreally loved this car but the game is up. I'll be selling it back.
VW would not cover it under the emissions warranty, for the simple reason it's not covered. The Federal 8/80,000 emissions warranty only covers certain parts, and the California 7/70,000 one isn't much better.

Components covered by Federal extended warranty : Catalytic Converter, Transmission Control Module, and Powertrain Control Module and/or Engine Control Unit (PCM or ECU). The California one adds the oxygen sensor to that list.

Your Adblue heater might obviously be an emissions component, but that doesn't make it covered.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got my letter in the mail today, along with VW's notice of the approval of the settlement (which I already knew, of course). The best path for them to keep me from doing the buyback may be just to keep handing out the extended warranties. Got the turbo, heater core, and now the AdBlue heater. Throw in the HPFP and the whole emissions system into the 10/120 basket, and I might just do it.

nncs20

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
2012 Passat with ~65000 miles on it. Started throwing a P202A code a few months ago. I just let it go until I got the extended warranty letter in the mail. I took it to the dealer today and was told that it is not covered by the extended warranty because it isn't one of the approved engine codes. The parts and the fix are exactly the same, but engine code makes it a no go. I have a call into VW to see what they will do.

I was in the same boat as Rico567 if they kept handing out these extended warranties but this certainly rubbed me the wrong way and make me go back to turning it in.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Passat with ~65000 miles on it. Started throwing a P202A code a few months ago. I just let it go until I got the extended warranty letter in the mail. I took it to the dealer today and was told that it is not covered by the extended warranty because it isn't one of the approved engine codes. The parts and the fix are exactly the same, but engine code makes it a no go. I have a call into VW to see what they will do.

I was in the same boat as Rico567 if they kept handing out these extended warranties but this certainly rubbed me the wrong way and make me go back to turning it in.
This is clearly unacceptable. Please advise when you find out what VW is going to do (or not) about this.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
FYI 2015 are not covered as per VW dealer in Topeka and VW Customer care.

What a waste of 2 hours between holding, talking, and holding.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I expect they'll need to start covering the '15s, they seem to be failing even faster.
I had a failure on my '15 GSW (see post at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=467549).
The codes were:
Code:
Address 01: Engine (CRUA J623)	Labels: None
2 Faults Found:
9654 - Output Module 1 for Heating of Reductant
P148B 00 [172] - Malfunction
MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
20558 - Heater Support Pump
P16C6 00 [032] - Running Dry
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
It was thankfully under warranty, but it's starting to look (arguably from a small sample) like there's an issue on the '15s also, though it might be different than the '12-'14 issue.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
Well, got my letter a couple weeks ago. Figured I had better let the fumes clear before I posted anything. But sorry people, this kind of approach is BS. Lets just extend the warranty on EVERY component that MIGHT fail and not fixing the problem. Some oversite entity of the govt should tell not only VW but Chrysler and others too, you CAN'T extend the warranty on a part that is prone to failure for only 10 years/100k miles. It should either be lifetime of the car's orig owner, 80% 2nd owner, 60% 3rd owner but no less the 50% cost of repair coverage till the car is in the junk yard. My dealer has been outstanding since we got this car fixing stuff but this adblue heater issue was the last straw for me. Nice fuel mileage but if it was all about MPG, I wouldn't own 2 Jeeps.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
One would hope that the replacement past is redesigned to correct the underlying defect.... but this is VW we're talking about

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Got mine repaired under the extended warranty. I'm on a short road trip and got the "countdown to death" at 150 miles for the first time ever, found a dealership about 25 miles away, they fixed the heater but the injector is not under a warranty. They quoted me $575 to replace the injector, I told them no thanks, I plan on trekking it the 140 miles back to my home and having it towed to the local dealership. Hopefully I don't have to stop before then, my wife is going to be pissed. I ordered the injector and related retaining clip for $216 versus the $402 quoted by the dealer.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Hello all, I came to this thread to see if P202A code is related to 23T3 recall...here is my scan.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (J623-CKRA) Labels: 03L-906-012-CKR.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 012 BP HW: 03L 907 309 S
Component: R4 2,0L EDC H21 7445
Revision: 71H21--- Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 001D0012842400008000
Shop #: WSC 46153 001 1048576
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906012BP 004009
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01103L906012BP.rod
VCID: 73E5E1A7DA20DCD9EE-8026

1 Fault Found:
9655 - Control Circuit for Reductant Tank Heating
P202A 00 [175] - Open Circuit
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 194780 km
Date: 2017.01.31
Time: 14:39:33

Engine speed: 979.00 /min
Normed load value: 48.2 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 62 °C
Intake air temperature: 20 °C
Ambient air pressure: 980 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.880 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Outside air temperature: -2.0 °C
Pressure sensor for reducing agent: measured pressure: 5002 hPa
Sensor for reducing agent fill level: fill level: 77.14 %
Sensor for reducing agent tank temperature: temperature: -2.8 °C
Reducing agent pump: activation: 11.48 %

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0
---------------------------------------------------------

this problem started after I began washing the car at a place with "Under-Carriage Blast"

the code returns within one hour of resetting, almost always at re-start ups or shortly after, now I keep BT Torque adaptor plugged in, so I can reset it on the fly, easier than VCDS.

I read some posts on this thread but Not all, so is this connected to the 23T3 recall, or what connector 23T3 refers to, and what circuits are associated with this "Connector"

Thank You

Last edited:

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Dang. I think I have this problem now.
2012 Passat TDi SE
109K miles.
CEL just came on
Engine Code P202B
Reductant Tank Heater Control Circuit Low.

I was hoping to hold on until 2018 to turn her in.

I'm taking over to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Dang. I think I have this problem now.
2012 Passat TDi SE
109K miles.
CEL just came on
Engine Code P202B
Reductant Tank Heater Control Circuit Low.

I was hoping to hold on until 2018 to turn her in.

I'm taking over to the dealer tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

You're good..it is covered under the extended warranty of 10 years or 193000km (120000miles) whichever comes first. In Canada anyway, I am sure it is also in USA.
I received a noet by post some months back.

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
You're good..it is covered under the extended warranty of 10 years or 193000km (120000miles) whichever comes first. In Canada anyway, I am sure it is also in USA.
I received a noet by post some months back.
Thanks! I certainly hope so. I went to the dealer this morning but they said they are booked and won't even look at it until Tuesday. The service man mentioned something about the heater being under warranty.

We will see. I'll post an update next week.