No Low Beams, I'm at work and can't go home

DothanTDI

TDI
Golf, 2003, Red
No Low Beams, I\'m at work and can\'t go home

I tried the DRL disable on my 2003 Golf from http://www.bugmod.com/drl_tfl.htm. The daytime running lamps wouldn't come on (as expected) but the low beams headlights would not work either. So I took the tape back of the TFL pin. Now DRL works but I have no headlamps on low beam. I am thinking about disconnecting the battery to see if all will return to normal. I am stuck at work. Anyone have any experience with this? My only other choice is to drive home with high beams. HELP!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
No Low Beams, I\'m at work and can\'t go home

So, all you did was put tape over the TFL pin, and it disabled the DRLS

But then the low beams didn't work, you removed the tape, the DRLs came back, but still no low beams. But the high beams work?

-Jason

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Re: No Low Beams, I\'m at work and can\'t go home

Have you tried replugging the switch? The bulbs are at least good. Also, there are fuses for the low beams, one for each side. They're maked on the fusecard.

-J

DothanTDI

TDI
Golf, 2003, Red

Is there a seperate circuit to the low beams for DRL, because the low beams work on DRL. But I'll look at the fuses before I try disconnecting the battery.

DothanTDI

TDI
Golf, 2003, Red

Just tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. That did'nt change anything

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI

When you trun the switch on, do the parking lights come on? have you tried jiggleing the ignition switch?

-J

DothanTDI

TDI
Golf, 2003, Red

With the ignition switch to "run" and the headlamp switch on, the taillights, marker lights, and front "city lights" (small bulb under high beam) come on. but the low beams are off. I am going to take the headlamp switch back off and examine.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI

Someone else is gunna have to jump in here.

Have you checked the fuses?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Did you blow fuses 20 and 21? Damage/bend the pin #4 (marked 56) on the switch? Is the turn signal/dimmer switch in the proper position?

DothanTDI

TDI
Golf, 2003, Red

Fuse 20 and 21 OK, pin 56 connection looks fine. With engine running, brake off, dimmer at low beam, have city lights on under high beams, but no low beam. All other lamps normal. With dimmer at high beam, high beams come on.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto

i guess i don't see difference between low beams and
drl. Emergency brake shuts off drl but not low beams.??
Is there a switch bad there??I am grasping ..

DothanTDI

TDI
Golf, 2003, Red

I guess I have to assume when I removed the switch, one of the contacts got messed up. Every thing works except low beam headlamps. I don't have a Bentley manual yet, so I have no way of diagnosing. I did note last night that removing fuse 20 or 21 gets one of the DRL lights. I saw threads on a euroswitch, but I didn't see how you order.

DothanTDI

TDI
Golf, 2003, Red

Problem solved. Drove 85 miles to the dealer yesterday (Jack Ingram, Montgomery, AL). They replaced a "defective headlight switch". My guess is that it had a defect waiting to break, and puting it in the release mode helped it go ahead and fail. Needless to say I had taken my tape back off of the TFL pin and I made no mention that I had taken the switch out. While I was there, I noticed two Jettas on the rack sans engine. Both were 1.8 turbo gassers. They said they were not maintained properly and were awaiting new engines. If both were strictly due to maintenance, I wonder what the statistical probability is for having two there at the same time. Hmmm.