15 Golf SEL 67,000 miles and eating oil

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This thread caused me to think of Car & Driver's long term test of the Ford Mustang Shelby GT:

And then there's the oil-consumption issue: Over 40,000 miles, we added 21.5 quarts of 5W-50. That's in addition to scheduled oil changes. It's the most we've ever added during a long-term test by a long shot. Ford released a supplement to the owner's manual stating that the engine might consume a quart every 500 miles under severe use. "Severe use" pretty accurately sums up our treatment of just about any car, but particularly one with an 8250-rpm redline. And we were lucky; internet forums are rife with horror stories of Shelbys consuming far more.

And that's in addition to getting about 250 miles per 16 gallon gasoline fill.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Price to pay for a flat plane crank that loves to rev. I'd take it over those supercharged options any day of the week even if I had my own personal oil refinery.

That's also a thick thick oil

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I added a half liter to my B4 last night. Son is visiting and will drive it while he's here. That car loses about a liter in 4,000 miles. Some of it comes out of the valve cover, but it's getting a new gasket next week. Not bad for an engine approaching 300K miles.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
While all engines do consume some oil, a quart every 2,500 miles is more than you'd expect in a TDI. I would be discouraged too. At this point though I'd agree with everyone else your best bet is just to add oil and monitor the consumption as it's going to be tough to find where it's going without spending a lot of money. If consumption stays the same it's probably "just the way it is" otherwise if it increases over time it might be worth investigating where it's going. I'm surprised how much variance there is between different EA288 engines. If I'm not mistaken the drivetrain still comes from Germany so I don't think one could blame the Mexico plant.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Monroney tag will say usually where the engines come from. Most VAG 4 cyl TDIs came from either a German plant or a Polish plant, with parts from all over.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I thought the EA288 engines were some of the first assembled in the new Mexico facility.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Might be, they've been assembling gas engines in Mexico for decades. I always figured the lower volume of diesel engines in North and South American markets meant it was not worth making them over there or here. Although the 02J manuals get built in Argentina... even for German assembled vehicles.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't know who did the oil changes for the OP, but it seems that there is the possibility that it wasn't properly filled. The '15's take something like an extra quart compared to previous tdi's.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's also possible that the oil wasn't changed more than once or twice in the first 60K. A lot of these cars were sold not long before the recall was announced, and many owners just stopped maintaining them. However, even if it went 30K on one fill you wouldn't think damage would be significant.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I think I recall my window sticker on the '15 Golf TDI stating the engine was Mexico production. My CJAA in the JSW was German production with the car being built in Mexico.

Both Mk7 GTIs I have owned were Mexico production engines.

Honestly can't tell a difference with the Wolfsburg and Peubla cars in terms of build quality...

Ovrhill

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon BEW, '06 Golf BEW, '15 Golf TDI(sold), '05 Golf TDI (wrecked)
Sticker on my 2015 Golf TDI 6M says engine and transmission "Point of Origin" is Germany.

I assume that means they were assembled in Germany and shipped to Puebla for the build. Not sure though.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
For 2009-14 JSW, built in Mexico. Drivetrain was built in Germany as CJAA engine. Not sure about 2015, I believe the same applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well now my interest in this is a bit more.

Low oil warning came on the Passat yesterday after a 130 mile highway run upon restart, popped the hood checked the stick, yup oil was just at the low level right at the bulb part, cracked open the 1L of castrol I've dragged around for the past +100K in previous TDIs (as I've never had to add make up oil) added half a liter and will keep an eye on it.

This is with 9,000 on the oil change, so by no means am I concerned, but will track the usage more than waiting for the low oil warning to display, or 10K which ever came first.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I just changed my oil at 14500km, and the oil level was maybe 0.5L down from where I'd filled it last change.
You know, after over half a century on this planet, you'd think one would learn NOT to go spouting off about how their car doesn't have [whatever] issue.

Checked the oil about before we left on a road trip (probably be ~6000km by the time all done), and it was fine: about mid-way down the hashed area of the dipstick...which is about where I've been filling on oil changes.

Then, after about 5 hours on the freeway today, suddenly I get the CHECK OIL LEVEL NOW! warning. And sure enough...it's low, but not critically so - right at the bottom of the hashed area.

Nonetheless, I wanted to top things up before going too much further, but good luck finding VW 507.00 spec oil in the middle of the I-5 in the Central Valley.

Finally found a litre of Pennzoil Euro that had the MB 229.51 spec, which mentioned DPF protection, so figured adding half a litre of that to the mix would suffice for now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
So. It seems like the CRUA's like to start burning a quart or so every 10k once they hit 60k miles?

Because sure enough, yup, the half-quart I put in at 66k was low again by 70k.

Topped it off, and will be thoroughly inspecting everything when I change the oil this week - looking for leaks.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If using same oil from new, never overheated, I would doubt increased oil consumption would be due to any engine wear, much more likely its passing through the turbo at 60k miles

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are way, way to few data points here to indicate a trend. We have many, many customers that have EA288 engines in their cars (we sell over 150 oil change kits for these cars monthly) and I've yet to have a customer mention oil consumption. And we're selling enough timing belt kits for this engine to indicate quite a few of them have traveled over 100K miles.

In Nuje's situation, I wonder if an extended regen on a road trip raised oil temps enough to push some through the turbo. I'm betting the car won't maintain that consumption level once he gets back home, And BTW, the 229.51 oil is fine for that car.

I might be totally off base on this, but I really don't think we can say these cars have an oil consumption problem...yet.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
If the oil is seeping past the turbo seals, wouldn't it end up in the intercooler inlet or outlet hoses? My 2010 Jetta with the CJAA engine, since day 1, did leak very small amount of oil past the turbo seals, about 20-30 mL in 10,000 miles. The leakage was so small that it was impossible to see any drop of oil level on the dipstick between the 10k oil changes. If you lose 1 quart of oil in 2 or 3,000 miles, it should be possible to determine whether you have leaky turbo seals by removing the inlet and outlet hoses to the intercooler and see how much oil is hiding there.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
What kind of oil is being used by those noting unexpected oil consumption? Is it the manufacturer-approved 504.00/507.00 spec oil? I've experienced zero consumption from my 2015 TDI (now at 63K miles) and I'm careful to use only 504.00/507.00 spec oils.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If the oil is seeping past the turbo seals, wouldn't it end up in the intercooler inlet or outlet hoses? My 2010 Jetta with the CJAA engine, since day 1, did leak very small amount of oil past the turbo seals, about 20-30 mL in 10,000 miles.
This is probably just oil accumulating from the crankcase ventilation.

And these turbos don't have seals, per se. The oil is prevented from moving into the turbo because of equal pressure on both hot and cold sides. If the pressure becomes unequal they'll push oil. And sometimes they burn it, not move it into the intercooler system or exhaust.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In Nuje's situation, I wonder if an extended regen on a road trip raised oil temps enough to push some through the turbo. I'm betting the car won't maintain that consumption level once he gets back home, And BTW, the 229.51 oil is fine for that car.
Two things:
1. Thanks for confirming that the 229.51 oil is a reasonable choice for the car.

2. There was a drive I took where we were about 20minutes on the freeway in heavy (but fast-moving) traffic, where my I would’ve expected my fuel consumption to be ~5.2-5.5L/100km, but it was over like 7.7L/100km - figured that it was doing a regen. I’ve noticed high consumption like that before, but never **that** high. So your theory has some merit.

And to add further credence, drove 1000km today (mostly 75-80mph) and the oil level on the dipstick did not appear to budge even a little. Fuel consumption at 5.6L/100km for the day.
(Conversions: 5.5L/100km = 42mpg(US); 7.7L/100km = 30mpg; 1000km = 620 miles)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What kind of oil is being used by those noting unexpected oil consumption? Is it the manufacturer-approved 504.00/507.00 spec oil? I've experienced zero consumption from my 2015 TDI (now at 63K miles) and I'm careful to use only 504.00/507.00 spec oils.
Yeah, see - that’s the mistake I made. Talking about how I don’t use oil. :D

To your comment, though, for the CRUA engine, in our 2015 TDIs, as far as I’m aware, you should NOT be using 504.00 oil. VW specs 507.00 only.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
504.00 and 507.00 are usually together. 504 is the gasoline engine spec, 507 diesel, for oil with the same characteristics. I've yet to see one without the other.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
nm
There are way, way to few data points here to indicate a trend. We have many, many customers that have EA288 engines in their cars (we sell over 150 oil change kits for these cars monthly) and I've yet to have a customer mention oil consumption. .
I'll start the trend for you (all be it a Passat not a MQB). Picked up a 40K service kit and had to top up 1/2qt at 48K (got the low oil warning, and could have taken a full qrt but seeing i was so close to OCI i just tossed in enough to shut the light off), been using Total 5W50 (JK 5W30) since dealer change at 10K.

Winter economy has tanked much more than previous years but that may be due to new larger winter tires 215-65-16 and this is the first winter with phase 2a fix, getting around 40MPG (def nothing to be concerned, but hope it comes back up when spring arrives).

From now on I will be tracking oil level much more than every 10K OCI ;)

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'll start the trend for you (all be it a Passat not a MQB). Picked up a 40K service kit and had to top up 1/2qt at 48K (got the low oil warning, and could have taken a full qrt but seeing i was so close to OCI i just tossed in enough to shut the light off), been using Total 5W50 since dealer change at 10K.

Winter economy has tanked much more than previous years but that may be due to new larger winter tires 215-65-16 and this is the first winter with phase 2a fix, getting around 40MPG (def nothing to be concerned, but hope it comes back up when spring arrives).

From now on I will be tracking oil level much more than every 10K OCI ;)
Get rid of that 5w50 and pour in some 507 spec if you want better fuel efficiency. Kidding, I assume that's a typo.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pffft 5W50 it nectar of the gods for TDI, what chou talking about ;) although that'd prob explain my horrible MPGs.