2015 Golf clutch slip

gwc

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Hi guys. Been searching around but not finding anything on this. I have a 2015 Golf TDI S 6 MT with about 50k on it. Purchased CPO about 2 years ago with 13k. I have noticed within the past couple of months that the clutch is slipping a little bit when taking off from a stop. I’m pretty pissed about this as I baby the car and my daily commute is mostly highway so not much clutch usage once I get going. Been driving stick for 30+ years so I really don’t think it’s my driving. Of course being a CPO I don’t know the full history.

Anybody else having / had an issue like this? It seems a bit odd that the clutch would be toast after the 5th oil scheduled oil change LOL!

Hoping the TDI warranty will cover this but not holding my breath...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
it'd be best not to hold you're breath, clutches are the easiest thing for VWoA to deny warranty claims due to improper use.

How does the peddle feel? One thing I'd suggest is checking the brake fluid and possibly flushing the clutch line, maybe it's a little low.

gwc

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I was thinking that too. The friction point is really high on the pedal travel. Maybe I’ll get lucky. Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Better stay in a Holiday Inn on the way there. You will need the luck on this one! I am betting there is no way after 2 years of driving it. I doubt they would have done it after two weeks. Start looking for a trusted mechanic in the area. We have a list here.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Do you get clutch slip anywhere else in your driving? The typical place people notice a worn-out clutch is accelerating hard in 4th or 5th (or 6th) from low RPMs.

Noticing any slippage there?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Slipping from a stop only certainly seems odd. Like posted above, check the fluid in the reservoir shared with the brakes. If it's low, the clutch will starve first but imagine the friction point would be low instead of high. If stomping on the fuel in 4th/5th at ~1500rpm doesn't get it to slip, then it could be something else going on. I've replaced the clutch on mine twice (self inflicted), it's not too terrible.

gwc

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Thanks all!

No slip except 1st gear that I can detect. Will check out that procedure and I’ll keep everyone posted once I get it looked at.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sorry, I didn't read your post very carefully. Missed the bit about it only happening from a stop. Probably best to ignore that deglazing procedure. I assume you're pretty sure it's not wheelspin. Maybe something in the clutch hydraulics. Couldn't hurt to change out your brake/clutch fluid if it's been a while.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Does this occur immediately after the clutch is completely released? If so, could this be a malfunctioning delay valve in the slave cylinder, causing a longer than intended engagement delay and thus brief slippage?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Signs of a worn out clutch usually manifest at higher loads in higher gears. Like when pulling a hill or accelerating up a hill in 5th or 6th. At least that is where it starts. But with the 6sp, the clutch hydraulics are often suspect (although they usually just leak and cause a lack of DISengagement, not slippage). But if the pedal feel is normal, that is not likely the problem.

Do this: get moving about 60 mph or so in 5th gear, with your foot completely off the pedal, then floorboard the accelerator. If it slips then, it is worn out and needs to be replaced.