Torque converter shudder problem after coolant in transmission fluid

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI
I really hope that someone can help me with the problem I'm having. Recently my oil cooler went bad and I got coolant into my transmission fluid and transmission fluid in my coolant. I had them both flushed at the Volkswagen dealer. Ever since the problem happened, it has been shuddering really really bad. By shuddering I mean, it sound like it can't decide to shift up or down and the whole car vibrates. It only happens when the car winds out and is at low rpm. I was told by a friend to try Lubegard ATF protectant. I contacted them and found out it is safe for Volkswagens. I put that in and the problem got about 60% better. I contacted them again and they said try another bottle. Now the problem is about 85% of the way gone. I am scared to put more in. Should I try using more? Is there something else I can do?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
coolant (water) damages clutch material and makes it flake off. If the coolant was in the trans for any amount of time you better start budgeting for a trans.

I would wonder if the dealer did a thorough job of flushing the trans. I would probably do it again. Make sure whoever you have do it has the fittings needed to remove the cooler and hook to the trans.

In the link below it shows the fittings that are needed.

http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/transmission/parts/2410

Lube gard antishudder fix is pretty safe in your trans. Flush it again and drop in two containers of additive.

Be sure to post results here in this thread!

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you so much for the advice! I have been considering getting it flushed again also. I caught the problem pretty early because I check my fluids at least 3 or 4 times a week! Once I seen it in the coolant I had it towed to the shop. I am almost sure that I drove only about 10 miles with the coolant in there. I just drove the car about 35 miles today and the last 15 or so it didn't do it at all. I think the second bottle of the Lubegard ATF protectant I dumped in may finally be working into the clutches. I still want to flush it again though to be safe.

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to update you. After I dumped in the Dr. Tranny, it stopped completely! Now it shifts perfect and is acting perfectly normal but I am getting a converter lockup clutch code in the transmission. Should I flush it or replace the converter? Honestly, I think if it's flushed it might just be fine but then again it might shudder again after flushing out the Dr. Tranny.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
There is no diagnostic method to pinpoint why you are getting a TCC slip code. If the car was here I might recommend replacing the converter due to the water/coolant intrusion, and rebuilding the valve body. Unfortunatly as I said, water/coolant causes the clutch material to flake off. This wont be just the converter, it could have damaged the clutches in the trans as well.

Have you seen the threads regarding TCC slip codes and valve body work?

Maybe just stop driving the car on long trips and start budgeting for a new trans.

gonesurfing

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI - Sold Back 12/22/16
I can second what CoolAir says about the linings. Once they absorb any significant amount of moisture, they tend to chatter and may eventually deteriorate. ATF (trans fluid) has a very specific viscosity and additive package that optimizes the coefficient of friction on the clutch and brake linings. Probably the reason the shudder has gone away is the additional additives have reduced friction and the slip/stick caused by water contamination. However the lower friction may be allowing the TC lock up clutch to slip excessively, resulting in the DTC. Continuing to add additive may eventually allow the drive clutches/brakes to slip which will result in a dead transmission after a few quick starts or a steep hill.
If it were my vehicle, I would do several more fill/drain/drive cycles to get as much remaining water and additive out and then fill with whatever the owners manual specifies. If the ATF looks like strawberry milkshake (pink and foamy) then you've still got a source of water entering the trans.
If the fluid comes out fresh looking (or even a little dark) and the vehicle still shudders, you're looking at replacing at least the torque converter, as CoolAir mentioned.

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
Or just drive it till it shows a problem. Leave the additive in.
That's probably what I'm gonna do. I'd rather put the money towards a new tranny instead of waste it on a flush. It was way overfill from all the additives, so I drained it til the level was good. I haven't got the code since then. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It's been shifting good. I'm just gonna drive it I think. I'll definitely keep you guys posted though. I really appreciate it!