DSG Tranny - High Hidden Maintenance Cost

SkiRep

TDI
2004 Golf GLS, 5 speed, ESP, Cold Weather Package, Splash Guardsd
I've just heard from a TDI-loving, young ex-VW salesman in Austin that periodic, 40K transmission maintenance on Golf's and Jetta's with DSG is $1000. It includes oil and seal replacements. Ouch! $1000 every 40K. This is a seriously high, new cost to budget in for ownership.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Did they offer complimentary lube as well? The DSG service is not cheap, but $1000 is ridiculous.

Pretty easy to do yourself, with the right tools. And a lot cheaper.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
:eek:
Here is a step by step. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169356 The tricky part is measuring the transmission temperature. A VCDS cable is what I plan to use and if you intend to hang on to a VW it is a sound investment. You could also do it with an infra red thermometer. It is possible to pour the fresh oil into the trans from above through the oil filter hole but it takes a long time apparently. No doubt if you pre-warmed the oil to 40C it would flow more quickly.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
SkiRep said:
I've just heard from a TDI-loving, young ex-VW salesman in Austin that periodic, 40K transmission maintenance on Golf's and Jetta's with DSG is $1000. It includes oil and seal replacements. Ouch! $1000 every 40K. This is a seriously high, new cost to budget in for ownership.
If you go to dealer this is kind price what they charge.But this is full 40k not just DSG service. Including full DSG service , air filter, cabin filter ,fuel filter and oil filter change.
But if you find someone who knows how to do it(like me) and has right tool you will be at $600-$750.Also dealer in not only choice you have ,there is lot of trusted shops that you can do for much less.
If you ever come to Dallas Tx I can do that for you for much less of that $1000. You can send me PM if you interested.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
For $1000 I can service your DSG 4 times, and give you some change back. :p

I think the OP got misinformed.