GTG Chapin, SC January 25, 2014

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I will be hosting a Get ToGether at my place again this January, and as usual it is the weekend before the Superbowl - in the dead of winter. It will be similar to the others, starting about 0800 and lasting until 8 pm. Lunch will be served about 1pm, with supper about 6 pm (just cooking any leftovers [if any] from lunch. A donation jar will be around somewhere.

Light wrenching, minor modifications, checkups with VCDS, troubleshooting. Bring (or have sent to my house the week before) any parts that you will need. A local dealer parts house is open until 2pm, so get here early if you think you might need some parts from there.
If anyone wants to have a bunch of parts shipped to my house (a group buy or whatever) feel free.

Tuners- Both Malone Tuning will be represented (update), and Rocketchip Tuning will be here (update).

Google Drive link to directions. Google Drive link to Sign Up sheet. If you have problems getting to the directions, or sign up sheet, just send me a Private Message (PM.)

Everyone,
Please bring:
A dessert, or cookies, or somesuch.
Chips that you like, but perhaps enough to share.
Drinks that you like, in single serving containers (cans or bottles).
Chairs.

We plan to have hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hotdogs (all beef), sausage dogs, baked beans, slaw, chili for the burgers and dogs, and pasta salad.

Last edited:

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
I will certainly try to be there dan, missed asheville
I know of nothing that needs to be looked at but will help others if they desire...
always ready to learn
tks for hosting
cu bill

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
Going to try and make this one!....as long as the car is still together at that point :D

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Hey I might actually make it this year. I hope the weather is good. Knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!

Josemsm

TDI
2011 VW Jetta TDI
i hope to be there, i missed Asheville

i look forward to it i enjoyed it the last time, thanks for your help with my 2011 jetta automatic trans oil flush.

Ike T

TDI
2003 Jetta
On my calendar. Up to my work schedule to cooperate now.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I am going to try and make it...I am sure the leaves will there as well...at least for a little while. :D

Looking forward to it, Dan!
I just pushed a wave of leaves 3 ft deep into the woods on Friday. But plenty more have fallen since, and half of them are still on the trees.

I am looking forward to it as well.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
Newb question: I'm not trying to be rude, but what is done at a GTG?
I'm in Liberty SC.
I bought a 2000 Beetle TDI earlier this year. This is my first TDI. Since I bought it I have been getting to know it pretty well! I installed front and rear Akebono pads, rotors, and performed a brake fluid flush (with a power bleeder that I made from an AceHardware 1/2 gallon sprayer). I installed the Blauparts shock/strut kit. New OEM battery and battery fuse box. Power steering fluid flush. Replaced OEM coolant temp sensor, thermostat & flange. Replaced 5MT gear lube with new GL4. Replaced glow plug harness. I know that in the next 10k miles I need a timing belt change. I did notice this weekend that my passenger outer CV boot is slightly slinging grease. Right now my tachometer is not working. It just stopped. I actually bought a cluster from someone parting out another Beetle thinking I might try to swap out the stepper motor for the tach.
Anyways, enough about me and my car. I just saw your post and thought I'd ask what goes on. What is the protocol? What does it cost?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Almost any of the work you have done (though not all at one time), but any of the single jobs would be good to do at a GTG. As would troubleshooting and or changing out your instrument cluster.
Timing belts are best not done at GTGs - too many distractions, chances for error.

I have one lift and one additional bay in the shop out back for dirty jobs. Two more bays in the garage attached to the house for brake flushes and changes, and the like. Plenty of gravel parking near the shop for intake cleanings, fuel tank pickup unit cleanings and mods (suggested for your car by the way). You could also add minor mods, injector nozzle replacements...and many other small jobs.

We try not to have any one car tie up the lift or bays too long - say a couple of hours each, maybe 3.

There will be plenty of diagnostic help from good mechanics available, for free. VCDS check ups. If you get one of them working on your car for some big job, ask them about paying. Most minor jobs they donate their time gratis at these GTGs.

There is no cost for the GTG. There will be a donation jar at lunch to help defray the cost of feeding 40 to 70 people.

I try to make them last from 8 am to 8 pm.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. You can often round up assistance from knowledgeable folks in advance, just by mentioning the job on this thread.

RichmondKYtdi

Bruce mentioned this and i plan on attending, after my last car kicked the bucket i have been slowly getting this car to the way i want it. Will be getting a tune... havent decided which one. Look forward to it!

-Also when it comes to food let me know what you are thinking my family owns a food distribution company and would be happy to bring anything you might be looking for....

Last edited by a moderator:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Welcome.
For historical reasons (two winter storms that blocked travel for everyone from above Asheville) I will probably not take you up on the kind offer to bring the food.

RichmondKYtdi

Welcome.
For historical reasons (two winter storms that blocked travel for everyone from above Asheville) I will probably not take you up on the kind offer to bring the food.
Good point! I remember that one, my in-laws live in Johnson City Tn... they were without electricity i think for about a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I would really like to attend but I am going the NAIAS in Detroit the weekend before.....so I am not sure I can do 2 long distance weekends in a row......:(

JasonG

Veteran Member
TDI
1994, 2003 JSW (sold), 2012 Jetta
If I make it I'll bring tools and my VCDS.

Newboyz, can you do a tune on my 2012 while there ?
DSG and stage 1.5, I should have the loose cash by then.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
If I make it, I would like to get my glow plug harness replaced. It's the one that comes with the connector on the end so it doesn't need to be spliced in. But if it's easier to do it that way...then I don't mind that either. I was going to replace my glow plugs one day and when I tried to pull of the harness it came all apart so I thinkt that's more my issue.

Also, is there a way to check at the gtg the condition of my turbo? I'm a lil concerned it's starting to age and I would like an idea of how soon I should be replacing it. I really don't want to buy a new head...(again).

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
If I make it, I would like to get my glow plug harness replaced. It's the one that comes with the connector on the end so it doesn't need to be spliced in. But if it's easier to do it that way...then I don't mind that either. I was going to replace my glow plugs one day and when I tried to pull of the harness it came all apart so I thinkt that's more my issue.

Also, is there a way to check at the gtg the condition of my turbo? I'm a lil concerned it's starting to age and I would like an idea of how soon I should be replacing it. I really don't want to buy a new head...(again).
Michelle, easy repair. I'll bring some wire loom/wire ties and show you how to do it.

Do you have a Boost gauge? Kinda mandatory to monitor the health of your turbo. (Hint). Look at new south performance for some nice kits. Again, supervision is available to help YOU install it......