Airbox Screen Removal Longterm

KO

Veteran Member
I also, took mine out. I hope we are doing the right thing. The only concern I really had was if the filter would get wet. I drove for about 30 minutes in a storm and I didn't even have water in the airbox much less a wet filter. One other thought. Does the engine, or is the engine management system designed to work best with the reduced flow from the screen? Could the increased airflow increase emissions or something? Could the increased airflow increase internal pressure in the engine?

I guess time will tell.

KO

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm not worried about the wet-filter business. For one thing, what other car has a screen before the air filter. Nobody else does it that way that I know of. For another, I have a K&N filter which should be more tolerant of moisture than a dry paper element.

Increased airflow, if anything, should give *lower* emissions and *better* fuel consumption.

The pressure drop through a clean screen is probably, realistically, maybe a couple of percent of atmospheric pressure at most - this won't change the engine's operating conditions enough to worry about. Driving at a different *altitude* will change the pressure more than this.

Quit worrying about this, people! It's okay!

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

M

mickey

Reduced airflow is never a good thing. If you increase the airflow the ECU will automatically compensate for it. There is nothing to worry about there. I think the only possible concern might be injesting a large amount of water while fording a river, but most of us don't spend a lot of time doing that in our TDIs.

-mickey

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
Well, mickey, you might have more of a concern since your intake of air is now about a foot lower since you remove the lower air box and snorkel, where these other people just removed their screens.

S

SkyPup

Mine were history a long time ago, many miles have passed without any hassles associated with this mod. Dream on!

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
After 12,000 miles, no problems with all 3 screens removed, plus the addition of 2 extra snorkeling tubes for extra air.

Good to be back in the driver's seat again.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Steve (edited June 26, 2000).]