Why would someone 'splice' into the 02 sensor Line

rixtory

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS Black
Looking at an 04 PD TDI form someone who bought it at auction. Problem is the CEL is on and Dealer diagnostics sts the 02 sensor. Delaer also said someone spliced into the line - My question is why? I can replace teh sensor, but should I be aware of any other reason why someone would cut into that line?
Thanks
Rick

737tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, Tornado Red (faded), 238,000 miles!
Hey rix: I don't know why. But what kind of price is a 04 getting at auction? To flex my knowledge (very little), but as far as I know the tdi/pd does not have an O2 sensor. I looked in my Bentley and it says nothing about it. Nuisance fault, put a vag-com on it and see what it is doing? If we do have an Oxy. where is it? (for you gurus?).

rixtory

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS Black
I'm not sure what he got at the auction, but he mentioned he was trying to make $700 on the car, so I think he has done this a couple of times - However, the MAF R&R cost him half his profit. I would be willing to bet he probably paid around $14,500-15K. But I am curious as to why a dealer would send this to auction in July-06, when they could have sold it on the lot, unless it was a gasser only dealer and they couldn't get the CEL to turn off?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I posted this in your other thread, perhaps the O2 sensor was replaced once attempting to fix the "problem". My guess is that the EGR cooler is leaking coolant into the exhaust manifold (the '04s have faulty coolers) and this is gumming up the O2 sensor, rendering it useless. VW issued a recall and is replacing for free the EGR exhaust gas coolers on all '04 TDIs.

--Nate

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
Yes, PD has an O2 sensor. I've got a MIL on the car on my way get the EGR cooler replaced., code "P2196 O2 Sensor stuck rich".

Oxygen sensor for my car is 06A-906-262-BC. Dealership ordered same # but BK instead of BC. The sniffer end looks the same, however, the cord is longer, & the plug end is different and won't fit. For a second, just a second, I thought about getting the soldering gun out and saving a few 60 mile trips to the dealership. Maybe someone else was brave enough to carry that through.

Last edited:

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
PDJetta said:
I posted this in your other thread, perhaps the O2 sensor was replaced once attempting to fix the "problem". My guess is that the EGR cooler is leaking coolant into the exhaust manifold (the '04s have faulty coolers) and this is gumming up the O2 sensor, rendering it useless. VW issued a recall and is replacing for free the EGR exhaust gas coolers on all '04 TDIs.

--Nate
Sorry to say , but NOT ALL 04 TDI's are covered. My 04's VIN is within the window of VINs on the "M6" TSB, but is not a VIN listed on VW's recall list. :confused: Dealer has talked with VW, and told by VW that Ben's car is not of the covered cars. :mad: No clear answer was given. :rolleyes: So I'll be calling VW myself. Over the summer car has lost about 1 cup [ 8 oz. ] of coolant, but cann't say from where.

Ben