Valero Diesel

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
Up from the dead.. I recently used valero diesel and my milage dropped 6mpg's, not changing anything else.

I am hoping that this tank empties fast and I can go back to running a quality fuel.. Live and learn.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Not wanting to deal with Oregon and the "attendent only" fuleing issue
As far as I know, that is only for Gasoline cars, not for Diesel.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Up from the dead.. I recently used valero diesel and my milage dropped 6mpg's, not changing anything else.
I am hoping that this tank empties fast and I can go back to running a quality fuel.. Live and learn.

There could be other reasons. Like more d#1 to compensate for the colder temps moving across the country. Longer warm-up due to colder temps.

I personally have run a lot of Valero diesel never seen a difference in mpg.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I burn a lot of Valero diesel. My mileage numbers have been really good over the summer but since the cold weather hit, my numbers have taken a nose dive.

Winter blend fuel is the culprit not the brand.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Winter blend is a minimal part of the culprit, winter itself is the majority of the culprit. Even the difference from driving in 40 degrees vs. 25 degrees has a HUGE impact on economy.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I'm really glad to see that many of you don't blame the winterized fuel for lower mpg but, it's just the cold weather. Same effect on gassers cold temps not the fuel.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I filled up at a Valero once, in Arkansas. The fuel was not noticeably different in performance. But I can report that their nozzle didn't click off, and if I hadn't been standing right there, a lot more diesel would have gone on the ground.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Winter blend is a minimal part of the culprit, winter itself is the majority of the culprit. Even the difference from driving in 40 degrees vs. 25 degrees has a HUGE impact on economy.
This. All of the fluids in the drivetrain are harder to move at lower temperatures, so all the pumps (= engine) have to work harder. Also, let's not forget that gassers also show worse mileage in Winter- I know ours always have. Colder air is denser than warmer air, and harder to push through. There is no remedy for this, it's just seasonal facts of life.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I agree with the above statements. Lower mpgs in gas and diesel alike. In the subfreezing temps, warm up times are long and everything is just stiffer. My hybrid is affected by the cold every bit as much as my TDI, if not more. Batteries don't charge and discharge as efficiently outside of optimal temperature ranges. I have my snow tires on now, so probably a bit more rolling resistance from those.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
ok the fluid viscosity may have an effect as well but let me throw this out there.

wouldn't the fluids eventually reach operating temperature after a period of time and then thier viscosity would be the same as in the warmer months?

it seems lately I can't get my instantaneous MPGs above forty even after I've been on the highway for over an hour.