2015 stick shift: Disable/alter upshift indicator?

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
It's a small issue, but the upshift/gear indicator at the top of the instrument cluster annoys me. For example, it tells me to upshift to 6th while I'm in 4th doing something like 40 MPH and 1800 RPM. I really don't want to drive at 1000 RPM or less.

Obviously I can and do ignore these recommendations, but I wonder if anyone is aware of a way to change the display. I saw some threads on the topic from '11 - '13, but no resolutions other than recommendations of properly placed black tape :D

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
For what it's worth...the indicator is right, at least if the goal is to optimize MPG, which is what it does a light throttle...I've checked, it really does burn less fuel in 6th.

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
For what it's worth...the indicator is right, at least if the goal is to optimize MPG, which is what it does a light throttle...I've checked, it really does burn less fuel in 6th.
Thanks for the reply. I'm all for getting good mileage (got 50 MPG over my last tank of fuel!). However, it concerns me to be running at barely over 1000 RPM. Maybe on level ground with light throttle that's OK? I'm new to diesel ownership, and I know I can do lower revs than with a gas motor, but . . .

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I hate those, too, and have disabled them on past cars I have owned. Curious to see what this thread comes up with, as I have also had people ask me about it.

If I needed to be "told" when to shift, I'd buy an automatic. :rolleyes:

It is probably in the long coding of the instrument cluster I bet.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
1000-1200rpm really should be fine, you don't have a ton of power since it's below where the turbo spools up, but it really shouldn't hurt anything.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
1000-1200rpm really should be fine, you don't have a ton of power since it's below where the turbo spools up, but it really shouldn't hurt anything.

The turbo "spools up" when load is commanded, RPM too low means the VNT compressor is working harder, because there is not enough airflow. They clearly designed the upshift nanny light to be more for emissions and fuel economy, and not for turbo life. I never would run my TDIs at that low of an RPM, unless I was just coasting down hill.

Lugging the TDI engine is not a good thing for it, nothing new here.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
It's a small issue, but the upshift/gear indicator at the top of the instrument cluster annoys me. For example, it tells me to upshift to 6th while I'm in 4th doing something like 40 MPH and 1800 RPM. I really don't want to drive at 1000 RPM or less.

Obviously I can and do ignore these recommendations, but I wonder if anyone is aware of a way to change the display. I saw some threads on the topic from '11 - '13, but no resolutions other than recommendations of properly placed black tape :D
You should be able to disable this in Adaptation od 17-Instruments with VCDS.
Loo for :
Function_Gear_Change_

It will be on very bottom.

Last edited:

Mark Hubley

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
A local enthusiast with VCDS came over to my place yesterday and helped me out. We turned off the hill hold function, switched the touch on the turn signal to five blinks, and turned off the DRL.

As per Jetta ,97 we found a cluster of lines in the instrumentation section regarding Function_Gear_Change that appear related to the upshift indicator. However, we couldn't figure out how to make changes. Not sure what would have happened even if we did, as some of them appeared to deal with foreign country programming.

Maybe I'll try again some other time.

Thanks for all the input!

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Here we go again

Volks:

OK, time to revive this thread. Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether the upshift arrow can be disabled, and how to do it? I recently bought a "Dieselgate" Passat and would like to kill that annoying arrow if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Look at the road. Not the dash. I drove a car for 9 years without a working Speedometer, never got a ticket.

Take oil hammers advice. High explosive and violent expansion at low rpm is tremendously different then turning over an engine with no fuel injected coasting down a hill..... in gear.

Diesels are still mechanical work and force.

It does have its limits.

Moral of story. Drive intelligent. Focus on the road. You'll survive, I hope. I'm sure you have much larger issues in your life.