3rd Gen 4runner tdi swap

gizmocska

TDI
2003 Passat AFN 1.9 tdi For Sale...
I am contemplating about a 3rd gen 5 spd toyota 4 runner to tdi swap ,I have not seen anyone do this yet so I have to ask why not , is it so much different then the older 1st or 2nd gen ones or simpply because the are still up there in price and hard to find one with blown engine for a descent price , I really like the 3rd gen 4 runners so please and now I see there in the 3-5 g range for a good one with 5 spd tranny ,what can I expect once I start this project to be different then the older version?what could a swap like this cost if I have all the parts except the adapter plate ? Any help is appreciated,thanx in advance

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
YES! Please do it.

The bellhousing behind the 5VZ-FE(v6) is the same as the 3VZE. Daniel on the forum here has an adapter plate for the v6 bell. The 3RZ/2RZ trannies use the same bell as the 22re as well so the adapter kit from ACME would do the trick.

Really the only difference would be the front differential(aka potential oilpan issues). Obviously some custom motor mounts will have to be made. Should be just like all the other builds.

Do it! :D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
It would be similar to the other toyota swaps on here, and very close to my tacoma swap (third gen runner and first gen tacoma are practically one and the same)....the reason you don't see many 3rd gen runners for sale with blown engines is that the 3.4 V6 is bulletproof.....

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
YES! Please do it.

The bellhousing behind the 5VZ-FE(v6) is the same as the 3VZE. Daniel on the forum here has an adapter plate for the v6 bell. The 3RZ/2RZ trannies use the same bell as the 22re as well so the adapter kit from ACME would do the trick.

Really the only difference would be the front differential(aka potential oilpan issues). Obviously some custom motor mounts will have to be made. Should be just like all the other builds.

Do it! :D
the 3RZ/2RZ bell housings are not the same as the 22r bell housings (not even close) but the w56 bell housing will bolt to the w59 transmission...is this what you mean? Also the 5vzfe is again not the same as the 3vze....the pattern is the same but the 3.4 bell is about an inch deeper than the 3.0 bell....starter may also be on the opposite side too but I'm not positive about that.... I've heard that ACME makes a kit for the toy V6 bell housing but I have personally not seen it....

Last edited:

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
Jim, I have the V6 ACME Adapter as I used the V6 trans/tcase setup in mine. The starter for the 3.0 is still on the same side as the 22RE, yet a little higher up it seems. I used the 3.4 starter in my setup, and its a very tight fit.

How much heavier is the 3rd gen runner compared to the earlier models? I like the idea of a 4dr Tacoma conversion down the road.

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
I did a 5vz-fe conversion into my last truck using the R150f(3.0 v6) transmission. Bolts right up, all you need is a different throwout bearing. Any reason you couldnt use the adapter with the different throwout?

I hate the spread of misinformation, forgot about the w58 bell. Im used to the guys using the w56 /w w58 bells for their 3rz conversions, start losing track. Whoops :D

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Jim, I have the V6 ACME Adapter as I used the V6 trans/tcase setup in mine. The starter for the 3.0 is still on the same side as the 22RE, yet a little higher up it seems. I used the 3.4 starter in my setup, and its a very tight fit.
How much heavier is the 3rd gen runner compared to the earlier models? I like the idea of a 4dr Tacoma conversion down the road.
Did you take any pictures of the ACME V6 adapter plate?... my next swap will be a 2nd gen runner using the AISIN auto :D..... those trucks can be had so cheap due to the crappy 3.SLO....I don't think the 3rd gen runners are significantly heavier than the gen before ...they may be the same....

I did a 5vz-fe conversion into my last truck using the R150f(3.0 v6) transmission. Bolts right up, all you need is a different throwout bearing. Any reason you couldnt use the adapter with the different throwout?

I hate the spread of misinformation, forgot about the w58 bell. Im used to the guys using the w56 /w w58 bells for their 3rz conversions, start losing track. Whoops :D
OK....so yeah the throwout bearing you used is longer to make up the difference in input length bell housing depth?.... I think I have one of those on the shelf....so did you use the 5vzfe bell or the 3.0 bell?....I know I've placed a 5vz bell onto a 3.0 engine it fit but I don't remember the specifics, starter location etc....

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
Swap was done with 3.0 trans and bell. The 3.4 clutch/PP were used with the much shorter 3.0 throw out bearing, making up for the difference. The 3.0 and 3.4 block are pretty much one and the same...the major differences lie in the top end.

IIRC the starter for the 3.4 is on the same side as the 3.0. I think the only differences are the input shaft lengths (with accompanied bell housing depths) and the slave cylinder/release fork. I would think that with the use of the 3.4 clutch parts (fork,t/o bearing etc)it should bolt up.

Also, 3.4 trannies had the drivers side t-case (except T100's i think) where 3.0 is passenger side.

gizmocska

TDI
2003 Passat AFN 1.9 tdi For Sale...
So the 4runners flywheel will bolt up to the alh tdi or needs to be re drilled to alh wholes ? I am still a bit confused about the bell housing and starter I need to use .

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
Op, I see three options:

1). Use a 22R-TE bell and an ACME adapter plate. Very hard bell housing to find, but Marlin can probably help.

2). Use a 22R bell with a W series transmission, you will have to use an adapter to clock the transfercase for the front axle (assuming you have a 4wd)

3). Use an adapter plate for the V6 bell. I have yet to see one.

I'm going to do this swap myself later in the year, and will make a custom plate for the auto trans., though I am researching using a 3.0CR to avoid the 4cyl fitment issues. I hate big lifts and especially body lifts.

Jimmy - I am almost certain the 2nd gen was heavier than 3rd gen, but will have to research to be sure.