How To: R/R B5.5 BHW Alternator Pulley

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Tools:

13mm socket
13mm deep socket
10mm socket or wrench
17mm box wrench
19mm open end wrench (long length preferred)
8mm hex bit - 3/8 inch drive
3 inch extension for 3/8 inch drive
3/8 inch drive ratchet wrench
3/8 inch drive torque wrench
1/2 inch drive ratch wrench or breaker bar
1/2 inch drive torque wrench
3212 pin wrench
19mm socket
Metalnerd Part MN3400SET - Serrated Alternator Pulley Bit Set

1 - open the bonnet (hood) and remove the engine cover. Note: This is not documented with pictures. If you can't do this without pictures you should stop now and let someone else do the job.

2 - slide the battery cover to the right side of the and lift off. See note of step 1.

3 - Loosen the nut on the negative terminal and pull off the cable

4 - Place a rag over the terminal to prevent accidental contact

5 - Remove the black cap from the large cable retaining nut on the back of the alternator. Remove the nut and take the cable off of the post, then put the nut back on so you don't lose it. Disconnect the connector for the smaller wires as shown in the upper right of this picture. Note the small tab on the wire tie type of retainer below that connector. You can push that small tab towards the long loose end of the retainer and slip that long loose end back through the retainer then remove the cable from the alternator.

6 - Use a 19mm wrench on the ribbed belt tensioner and move the top end (as picture) towards the right side of the car (bottom of this picture) then slip the belt off of the alternator pulley. Note the bolt in the center left of the picture. You will remove this bolt later.

7 - slip the 8mm hex bit on the extension through the access hole in the bracket

8 - counterhold the pulley with the 3212 pin wrench and remove the bolt with the 8mm hex bit.

This is the back of the pulley where you can see the holes for the 3212 pin wrench.

You might be able to use a strap wrench to counterhold the pulley, but I have the 3212 so I didn't try.

9 - Let the fan assembly gently rest as shown. You won't be able to get it out of the car.

10 - Use 13mm short socket and remove the bolt pictured above with the belt tensioner. Then use a 13mm long socket to remove the bolt below the alternator pulley. The long socket allows your ratchet wrench to clear the alternator pulley and makes it easier to remove the bolt.

11 - Use a pry tool gently to pry the alternator loose. Once the top was loose I flipped this pry tool over and used the short end to pry the bottom loose.

12 - remove the alternator from the car in the area shown.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
How To: R/R B5.5 BHW Alternator Pulley continued

13 - secure the alternator so that you can remove the pulley. I placed it in a vise.

14 - This is the pulley to be replaced with the plastic cover removed. Note the multiple splines.

15 - insert the multispline tool from the Metalnerd kit (or 3400 tool if you have one) into the pulley

16 - slip a 17mm wrench onto the multispline tool, and insert the M10 triple square or T50 6 lobe bit (as appropriate for your alternator) through the multispline tool. Use a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar to turn the bit in a clockwise (typically tightening) direction while counterholding with the 17mm wrench. This pulley was put on to 80 Nm. The pulley will unscrew from the shaft of the alternator.

17 - screw the replacement pulley onto the shaft, assemble the tools as above, and use a torque wrench to tighten the pulley to 80 Nm. Tightening is accomplished by turning the torque wrench counterclockwise (typically loosening) direction. Install the plastic cover.

18 - Place a 19mm socket around the threaded inserts and press them out of the alternator mounting tab a little. The shiny surface on the one pictured here is the side to put the socket on. I sandwiched mine in a vise to press the inserts to the position shown. This will make it easier to remount the alternator on the engine bracket.

Installation is the reverse of removal.
Tighten the 8mm hex bit bolt to 45 Nm.
Tighten the alternator mounting bolts to 25 Nm.
Tighten the 13mm nut on the large cable to 15 Nm.

Last edited:

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Thanks for the writeup mogolf, but in all my years I have never had to replace a pulley on an alternator. What was wrong with it that warranted replacement.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, this was preventive maintenance. :) The old one is still good.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Please use your significant influence to make this a sticky. I'll never be able to find it again when I need it!

Thanks for a great how-to.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you.

This procedure avoids pulling the front of the car to the "service position". If you did that, then it would be possible to completely remove the fan from the car. That is all extra work that doesn't need to be done to r/r the alternator.

I put a link to this thread in the "How To" sticky thread of TDI 101 .

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The pulley does not come apart unless it is broken. "Sealed for life."

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
Has anyone had this replaced under warranty? Is this a problem that shows up after the 60k warranty limit?
Also, what is the cost of the replacement pulley?

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the car has a warranty and the part fails, it will be covered. Several have posted in other threads of this.

A quick check shows the part is $115 or more at various suppliers. Prices subject to change.

Last edited:

JimO

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Man, I wish this writeup had been done before I tackled it a few months ago! it took me forever to figure out where the bolt was for the fan...

Great writeup! Thanks!

dbywaters

TDI
98 ALH Powering a 1993 Toyota T100
I ordered the tool and part yesterday. I have noticed that I must rev the engine up initialy to get rid of the battery idiot light. Now it is clicking like a duplicate diesel under the hood. the part can also be purchased from http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213714

For 64.95 shipped to the east coast...

This is a great forum for my converted 99 B5 TDI

Makrel

TDI
A4
Hey can someone confirm if the 8mm bolt to the fan clutch is reverse threaded or not? I have the Pin Spanner wrench on the pulley and can't get the hex head to turn. I'm afraid to break the bolt head off and leave it screwed...

Thanks!
Mak

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nothing is reverse threaded.

dukku

TDI
1.9 PD-TDI AJM
On my 2000 TDI Passat there is no need to dismount that fan to get the lower bolt that holds the generator.
Just rotate the visco-coupling and try to find a little hole specially made for the lower generator fixing bolt to come out few milimeters enough to permit you to pull up the generator . I suppose that that visco-coupling is the same at this kind of engine

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No it isn't.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
dbywaters said:
I ordered the tool and part yesterday. I have noticed that I must rev the engine up initialy to get rid of the battery idiot light. Now it is clicking like a duplicate diesel under the hood. the part can also be purchased from http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213714

For 64.95 shipped to the east coast...

This is a great forum for my converted 99 B5 TDI
This link is broke. wher can I get one for $65?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Sorry, I thought the $65 was for the pulley. I reread it and it does say for the tool.

tophounddog

TDI
2005 passat
altenator

I just had a noise in my altenator and i thought the bushings were out in it but it was not the bushings it was the pulley on altenator I have 95600 miles on car I had it fixed in Dakota city nebraska at torco-remfg for 85.oo dollars 65.00 for part 20.00 to put on.

jkflint

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Mechanic FOS?

Er, full of poop, that is.

I think I have this problem on a 2005 TDI Passat Wagon. It just started and I came here (naturally, I found what I think is going on). Took it to a new mechanic specializing in "foreign" cars, and he thinks it is the bearings in teh alternator. I said, I agree, and that you can in fact change the pulley on the alternator (which changes the bearings.) He is saying I need to change the alternator. $515.

How hard is changing the pulley really? So far I have changed the CV joint and the shifter on this car, and starters etc, on other cars, so I'm not afraid to turn a wrench. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it just to have him replace the alternator.

Anyone near New Market, MD interested in loaning the special tool for some homebrew?

(And how long before the alternator seizes up?)

Thanks for the info.
J

Last edited:

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
The alternator pulley replacement is EASY! Just follow MOgolf's fantastic instructions and make sure you have the special tool at your disposal.

If the pulley seizes the alternator still turns - the pulley is not related to the bearings in the alternator.

jkflint

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
I have faith that I can fix it, but how can I be sure that it is the pulley (my thought) and not the alternator bearings (his thought)?

J

jkflint

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Hmm,
This is what the mechanic did, which led him to changing the alternator as opposed to the pulley. I'm feeling pretty daft here.

So, if I change the alternator, do I fix both problems? Looks like the alternator is about $100 more than the pulley.
J

Last edited:

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
With the belt off you should be able to feel if the shaft rolls smoothly or feels like it has gravel in the bearings. It should not make noise as you turn the shaft by hand. Also check to see if the shaft has any noticeable side play (up/down, left/right when it is still mounted in the car) or end play (in/out) as both can also be indicators of bad bearings. The pulley should turn freely in one direction and lock in the other direction. If you are still uncertain, take to somebody else for a second opinion.