09A solenoid change

dabest

TDI
05 Golf TDI
I'm having cold shifting issues with my 05 golf with the 09A transmission was wondering if changing all of the solenoid solved the cold shifting issues that other members had with there 09A.Long term report would be nice to hear.Thanks

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I'm having cold shifting issues with my 05 golf with the 09A transmission was wondering if changing all of the solenoid solved the cold shifting issues that other members had with there 09A.Long term report would be nice to hear.Thanks
3 years strong here... car wouldn't cold shift out of 1st until engine was screaming, then slam into 2nd. I need to do my 4th fluid drain/refill in the next few months.

dabest

TDI
05 Golf TDI
Great to here was there any codes that came up when you had the problem.and where did you get your solenoids from.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Have you checked your trans fluid level....sometimes just adding a 1/2 liter can solve shifting issues.

Cuchulainn

TDI
05GolfGLS/ 06 Jetta wagon 5spd.
Just replaced all 9 solenoids in my 05. Took me about 3.5 hours to complete on my buddies hoist Its nice to be able to get in and go after dealing with the issue for the past few months. Bought mine thru cobra transmission based out of Florida. Good customer service, took only a few days to arrive. $329. Canuckistanian pesos later worth every peso imo. No long term report but am relieved that I dont have to throttle up for ten minutes before I can even attempt to drive. Diesels kinda expensive come winter in these parts.
https://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_1462

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Great to here was there any codes that came up when you had the problem.and where did you get your solenoids from.
No codes to my knowledge, I bought the car with the issue, researched and did the work. I got the solenoids from CoolAirVW but many here have bought from Cobra trans and had excellent results. Also, as maxmoo said, have you checked the fluid level with VCDS following the procedure?

dabest

TDI
05 Golf TDI
No I haven't checked the levels yet but i have 2 codes that came up.

00300 Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor (g63) Impulsive Signal
00652 Gear Monitoring (impulsive Signal)

So I was wondering if solenoid replacement is the issue.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
No I haven't checked the levels yet but i have 2 codes that came up.

00300 Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor (g63) Impulsive Signal
00652 Gear Monitoring (impulsive Signal)

So I was wondering if solenoid replacement is the issue.
:rolleyes:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
OP what maxmoo is trying to say is check your tranny fluid level before throwing $300 in parts at something that might be simple. Plus, you will (likely) need VCDS to check the fluid level after you do your drain and refill. 3.5L-3.8L seems to come to mind...

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
is this fluid good for the 09a or should I bette stick with Fuchs 4400 or Febi 29934?
It was recommended to me by oilhammer himself. It's what I switched to away from the high dollar VW stuff. Think it's been 4.5 years now. I also drain/refill every 10k miles, which is about once a year.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a Japanese transmission, it left the factory in Japan with Japanese fluid in it (most all of those are sourced from Eneos or Idemitsu). Ineos is Nippon Oil's fluid brand, and is the largest Japanese oil refiner, followed by Idemitsu Kosan.

The Idemitsu "Type J" (which is the part number referenced above) is their Jatco (the "J') compatible ATF, and is probably what they factory filled it with anyway.

It is what we use in all non-CVT Jatco transmissions here, and it has never been a problem.

Fuchs is a German company, and their Pentosin brand fluids are great for German transmissions. Febi (short for Ferdinand Bilstein) is essentially just a catalog company and simply labels things they do not make. Most any Febi ATF is going to be more of a generic type, and probably not "bad" but certainly not anything special and the Idemitsu stuff is reasonably priced so no reason to overthink it.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
It is a Japanese transmission, it left the factory in Japan with Japanese fluid in it (most all of those are sourced from Eneos or Idemitsu). Ineos is Nippon Oil's fluid brand, and is the largest Japanese oil refiner, followed by Idemitsu Kosan.
The Idemitsu "Type J" (which is the part number referenced above) is their Jatco (the "J') compatible ATF, and is probably what they factory filled it with anyway.
It is what we use in all non-CVT Jatco transmissions here, and it has never been a problem.
Fuchs is a German company, and their Pentosin brand fluids are great for German transmissions. Febi (short for Ferdinand Bilstein) is essentially just a catalog company and simply labels things they do not make. Most any Febi ATF is going to be more of a generic type, and probably not "bad" but certainly not anything special and the Idemitsu stuff is reasonably priced so no reason to overthink it.
What do you think of the Ravenol J1D2109 ATF? I typicallu use OEM fluid but have also ordered this because It was at a pretty good price on Amazon when I needed it. Fortunately I don't get many auto TDIs through here!!!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG

is it synthetic or mineral? i also see its manufactured in Indiana by Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation