2003 Golf - parking brake question

onehotpocket

TDI
2003 Golf TDI ALH
Hello all -

I realized recently that only my left parking brake is engaging when I pull the e-brake lever. I tried adjusting the compensator nut to no avail. I decided to look under the car while the parking brake was getting engaged and here is a clip of what I found (left side first, then right)
https://youtu.be/YopbDb57xtE

The left is functioning properly; the right is acting as though it is already engaged. For the right side, I release the e-brake lever first, then engage it. I think the cable is OK as I can see movement in both directions when engaging/disengaging - just not very much.

I did replace the pads and rotors early spring of last year. I wound the caliper back (the proper way) enough to get the new pads in. I just had the caliper off for a wheel speed sensor replacement and the pads are still in great shape. The brake does apply when using the pedal.

Is there something else that needs to be adjusted here? If you could give the clip a watch and let me know, that would be great.

David

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The caliper does look like it's fully pulled already.
The 2 sides should match.
Try removing the cable and see it the arm returns or if it's seized.
ID-Parts has the updated heaver parking brake cables and clip kit, as well as helper springs to help release the brakes.
They were one of the easiest upgrades I ever did. :)