Dead Dead Dead

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
So I got into my 2015 GSW SEL this morning and it was completely dead: no horn, no foot lights, no response at all when I pushed the start button, I jumped it off with my JSW. Anyway, the last thing I did before leaving it last night was put the wiper blades back into normal state after placing them in service to clean the windshield. How I did that was to push the start button without the break peddle engaged to enter standby. So what I probably did was I did not push the start button again to cut the car off. I did not realize there was no timer to cut the car off after it gets no input for a period of time. Any other ideas to what might have happen?

Update, car started normally today, Scangage shows just under 14vdc when driving. I think I just did not realize car was not turned off, not use to button start/stop yet.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
happened before when I left the fog lights on the 12 Passat, door chimed an all when I got out but still spaced on it.

The Mk7 with fog shut off with the ignition, so improvements are being made.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
My battery died yesterday... less than a year old from "new" purchase of car, 13,500 miles

Car started quickly and ran/drove just fine into work, as it always does.
Got out of car and the doors wouldn't lock, thought that strange but didn't worry about it then.
After work nothing worked, no lights, no horn, no start, nothing.
Measured voltage at battery 5.9V.

Called VW roadside assistance which was more trouble than it was worth. Their tow truck arrived the next morning much later than scheduled with only a wheel lift and car would have bounded along on the oil pan and other plastic stuff. The driver was happy to tow it anyway "it's just plastic, it'll bend". After a brief and polite discussion we agreed, not the right tool for the job, nothing to adjust and make it work. I sent him on his way, and declined having something else sent, which would be more than an hour away.

At this point I had no faith in VW's roadside assistance, their contracted providers timelessness, or ability to do the job properly. Decided not to waste the whole day while they fumbled along and perhaps eventually got my car to the dealer. (My luck so far it'd be just in time for the service dept to close...)
Instead I arranged for a flat bed myself, which VW may or may not reimburse me for after I send paperwork to a PO box and wait for a reply...

10-15 minutes after calling my preferred tow truck we were loaded and on the way to the dealer, no damage to the car, no trouble.

Finally at the dealership they said the battery is flat dead, and the car is fine, nothing draining the battery, nothing unusual.

I was sure this would be a warranty item, it's still a very new car at less than a year old, and battery is one of the things they "checked" before selling the "new" but 2 year old car. Mine didn't get a new battery but obviously needs one now, and perhaps did then. This shouldn't be my problem.
Problem is I hadn't checked the warranty details and battery is only good for 1 year or 12,000 miles, which I'm over. So I assumed wrong... had to pay for a battery and labor.

I also thought that a new battery required coding the car to properly manage it. Another reason I was happy to have it towed and let the dealer sort it out. Some of these cars do require that, ones with start/stop feature, not my car. Read about that here

So I could have left the car sit, bought my own battery, installed it myself, and saved better part of a day and some money.
I'll discuss the situation with VW care, but not sure what good that'll do.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Never hurts to have jumper cables in the car. I've jumped a bunch of people with mine.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Like anything and everything else. Greed is running the show and quality is bringing up the rear followed only by the customer.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I learned my lesson early. I turned on my ScanGaugeII after turning the car off a couple weeks after buying it last year. Forgot to turn SG2 back off. Drained battery the next morning. Jumped it from my GTI and it's been fine since. Had to clear a bazillion low/no voltage codes with VCDS.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Couple weeks ago my battery died, as posted above.

VW decided, and the dealer agreed, that the battery should have been under warranty for 2 years and 24K miles.
I received a refund for battery and labor.

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
That’s good news Grigg. I think a lot of us who bought new 15s last spring/summer may run into this. I was getting worried, thank you for updating us.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
What’s the normal range of voltage you guys are seeing while driving? I use ScanGauge II and my voltage will be 14.1 most of the time but frequently dips down to 13.6. Should I be concerned?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Should be enough to trickle charge the battery. There are a bit more electronics on the EA288 that previous gens, electro water pump for coolant and the W2A IC as such.

That being said placing the battery on an overnight trickle change never hurts anything.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
had to pay for a battery and labor.

So I could have left the car sit, bought my own battery, installed it myself, and saved better part of a day and some money.
I'll discuss the situation with VW care, but not sure what good that'll do.
Well, the good news is that the new battery has a 5 year warranty. The first 3 years are free replacement, the remaining two are prorated.

And since it was installed by a dealer, labor is included.

Labor isn't included in OTC parts purchases.

Rob M

TDI
1996 Passat TDI 5spd, 2013 Jetta TDI 6spd (Turning in), 2015 Jetta TDI 6spd, 2015 GSW SEL 6spd
Same thing happened to me. Bought the car just under a year ago as one of the stop sales. Left the push button start in the accessory position to close the sunroof and now it is dead. couldn't even be jumped. Have to call in sick tomorrow and spend the greater part of the day having this taken care of at the dealership.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
I did this again... I got my VCDS from Ross-Tech and messed around with it. DOUH!!!! forgot to push the button when done... dead, dead, dead again. Fortunately I was able to jump it off. Not use to the push button start yet.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I did this again... I got my VCDS from Ross-Tech and messed around with it. DOUH!!!! forgot to push the button when done... dead, dead, dead again. Fortunately I was able to jump it off. Not use to the push button start yet.
^^^That's the only reason I haven't coded the annoying reminder chime "off"...I simply don't trust myself to remember to turn off the car when doing things like that.