Two Codes, P1592 and P0101

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
Start from the beginning. I recently did some major work to my 2004 TDI. New Colt Cam, new injectors, new intercooler (non OEM replacement, is just a bit deeper then the stock one, old one was worn through....), new lifters, TB, WP, and clutch.

After I finished it ran good for a bit. But shortly after it was throwing some codes. I replaced the Glow Plug harness which seems to have resolved a couple of them. However I am not sure where to start with the P1592 and P0101 as the MAP is a bit more expensive. This problem seemed to come on slowly and it seems to be in limp mode as it loses power and the engine sounds a bit different, kinda like the turbo is not spooling as much.

My first thought is that when I swapped out the intercooler it had a new sensor on it so I just used that instead of the one that was one the original intercooler. Because it is a non OEM intercooler I am guessing it is a non OEM sensor. The intercooler was purchased from ID Parts and I trust they sell quality parts. Here is the one I got: http://www.idparts.com/intercooler-bew-jetta-golf-p-3691.html

My other issue is that when I try to test the MAF sensor with my VAG-Com on address 3 I don't get the MAF actual vs specified, just actual. Did something change? Where can I find specified.

So where would you recommend I start and how can I get MAF actual vs specified? I was not able to find it anywhere in the VAG-Com.

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
Oh, and just for reference:

2 Faults Found:

16485 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0101 - 000 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2079 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 95.0 km/h
Temperature: 12.6°C
(no units): 140.4
(no units): 0.83
Temperature: 81.9°C

18000 - Altitude Sensor / Boost Pressure Sensor
P1592 - 000 - Implausible Correlation - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.62 V
Bin. Bits: 00101100
Absolute Pres.: 979.2 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 826.2 mbar

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
I had the same MAF code and it turned out to be a leaking EGR valve. Every time I would coast in gear it set the 16485 code.
I did take the EGR off when I cleaned my intake....Where specifically was it leaking?

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I did take the EGR off when I cleaned my intake....Where specifically was it leaking?
It was something in the inner workings of the valve. The spring or motor that keeps it closed just got tired and let the valve open a bit.

A new valve would have fixed it, but block off plates are a lot cheaper and they worked just as well.

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
Sorry, out of country for a bit....

How did you determine it was the EGR based on a MAF sensor code? Did you start throwing parts at it?

And my last question, when I try to test the MAF sensor with my VAG-Com on address 3 I don't get the MAF actual vs specified, just actual. Did something change? Where can I find specified (I can see the actual, not specified).

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Double check the boost hose connections on your inter cooler to see if they are locked in place. A loose hose could be the cause of the P0101 code based on my personal experience.

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
Double check the boost hose connections on your inter cooler to see if they are locked in place. A loose hose could be the cause of the P0101 code based on my personal experience.
I'll take a look at that. The only issue is that I don't get the P0101 code every time I get the other code. Happens much less frequently.

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
Ended up being the generic MAP sensor. Replaced, have run 2 days with no issues.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
..................How did you determine it was the EGR based on a MAF sensor code? Did you start throwing parts at it?
Air leak is listed as 2nd cause in the wiki. Sensor was listed 1st.
2 things common to both codes are ground spots.
Glad it got sorted!
Where did the generic MAF come from?

cooter2

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (5 Speed)
It was actually the MAP sensor, not the MAF sensor. It came on the new intercooler I bought from idparts. I bought the non OEM intercooler cuz I figured, hell there is nothing mechanical or electronic. However it did come with a new sensor, guess I didn't think anything of it at the time. Link is in original post.

The new intercooler is a bit bigger then the OEM one, I actually like it better then the OEM, other then the sensor. It fit in the car in the stock location with no modification.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thankyou for the update. Maybe idparts should be informed about this MAP sensor.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It was just a bum MAP. The Valeo charge air coolers are a good one, that is who made the intercooler for Volkswagen in the first place on most ALH and BEW cars (BHWs got a Modine).

I've put a LOT of those one, and got a bad MAP once, so you are not the only one.