2015 TDI SEL with 6 speed?

jetpuck

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2011 Jetta TDI
Anyone know if next year's TDI SEL will be available here in the US with the 6 speed manual? Seems like only Canada gets the 6 speed on the TDI SEL.
Anyone know? Thanks.
Peter

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have no idea, although I think it will be unlikely that VWoA will pair the SEL trim with the 6-speed manual.

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
i take that back. the only way that seems to happen is with the jetta (golf) sport wagen. you can get an upper trim level (sunroof and nav) with a 6mt if you order a tdi. if you want a gasser the only way to get a stick is the s trim level and then it is a 5mt.

1998redwagon

TDI
2013 passat 6M tungsten/cornsilk
damn. i did some more checking and found that the jetta sedan also comes with a 6mt in the upper trim level tdi. and a 5mt for most of the gasser trims (except the highest). of course the gli comes with a mt option too.

passat gets no love from vwoa!

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
My dad has a B5.5 Passat top of the line GLS, with a 5 speed manual. So they used to offer the combo, but somehow recently decided Americans are too lazy or uncoordinated to want to shift, or control, the car on their own.

Yet humans in other parts of the world are more capable to handle the act of actual driving, using brain matter input and their left foot.

It also baffles me as to why VW thinks people (Americans) who do choose to shift their own, also would not want to have extras like maybe a sunroof, or the safety of Bi-xenon headlights, in a full size sedan. At least as an option.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My dad has a B5.5 Passat top of the line GLS, with a 5 speed manual. So they used to offer the combo, but somehow recently decided Americans are too lazy or uncoordinated to want to shift, or control, the car on their own.

Yet humans in other parts of the world are more capable to handle the act of actual driving, using brain matter input and their left foot.

It also baffles me as to why VW thinks people (Americans) who do choose to shift their own, also would not want to have extras like maybe a sunroof, or the safety of Bi-xenon headlights, in a full size sedan. At least as an option.
One would hope that they analyzed sales trends before reaching that decision.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yes, and they'll also bring back the Passat wagon. And this administration will balance the budget.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Ummmm...is the 2015 with the new EA288 even going to have a manual transmission option at all?

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI

The GLX also had a manual option. However, the W8 did not.
If you look at the current Audi and BMW offerings, manuals have all but disappeared.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The GLX also had a manual option. However, the W8 did not.
If you look at the current Audi and BMW offerings, manuals have all but disappeared.
Yep, and when I tried to trade in my manual GLX I was told by multiple dealerships that my trade in value was actually less since nobody in the Metro Detroit area wanted a manual transmission car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
BMW 2, 3, 4, some 5, some 6 offer manuals as a no cost option. Or an auto transmission delete, if you prefer to call it that. Audi and M-B have walked away from manuals almost completely. What surprises me is you can't buy a manual transmission TT any longer.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
i take that back. the only way that seems to happen is with the jetta (golf) sport wagen. you can get an upper trim level (sunroof and nav) with a 6mt if you order a tdi. if you want a gasser the only way to get a stick is the s trim level and then it is a 5mt.
Interesting point... Maybe it is because the Golf Variant (JSW) is made in the Puebla plant serving lots of markets from there, and those other markets demand the 6MT. It doesn't cost anything to "add" this for US customers (they just put the Jetta badge on it for us-which itself is just weird).

No problem ordering a high end Highline Passat with 6MT 2.0 TDI in Spain/Europe (and bluemotion, and R, and the variant TDI with 6MT:(), but those don't come from Chattanooga. Oddly, only gasser Passat appears to be available in Mexico.

Chattanooga plant serves America and Canada, but maybe not Mexico (apparently not Passat TDI, anyway). I guess it would take a dedicately assembly line to make the SEL in 6MT, or costs too much to alternate production on a given line. I wonder where Mexican Passats are made?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
You can get a Passat Highline with a manual in Canada.
... and they are made in Tennessee! Nuts.

I would have gotten (paid for) a sunroof with my 6MT if I could (ahem...Volkswagen:confused:).

But given the choice, it had to be the 6MT. So I spent less money on my Volkswagen.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Anyone know if there are any changes to the 2015 NMS? More content, less content, better front seats etc.?