engine shutting off

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta trendline 2.0 liter
the last couple of weeks, i had a problem with the ' 03 jetta tdi stalling out after starting. just noticed today that it stalled out after putting it in reverse.......any hints on what to check?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
The only thing that used to randomly make my 99.5 Jetta suddenly stall without warning was the relay 109. Once I swapped a new one in (grey version) I never had another issue.

Just for kicks I cut open the old one and sure enough, there was a faint hairline crack in the thin circuit board. It was about $40 bucks or so and 10 seconds to swap out. May be something to try yourself

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
replaced the 109 last Saturday....still acted up three times since then....ran auto scan, no codes identifying the immobilizer as the culprit.starts OK 9 out of 10 times, runs and works great otherwise. just afraid that it's going to get more frequent and maybe leaving me stranded.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
That's too bad - the 109 sounded like a good bet.
Is it a manual or auto? Does it only stall out when going into Reverse?

yvon g

Veteran Member
TDI
when i switched keys last sunday, it only acted up once....since i did an auto scan and cleared all inactive faults....no problems since. this morning i checked injection pump harness as one member suggested , but whereas i had no problems on the road and driveablity symptoms. i didn't think there would an issue there and nothing changed with engine running while moving harness. so I'm not going to worry about it too much right now. thanks for all your responses.