2.5 Jetta Won't Start--Any Suggestions?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It has a timer, which is why when the car cranks but doesn't start for some reason people always start to panic. :rolleyes:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Just make sure you "remind" your son not to pop the clutch in reverse to start car in reverse EVER AGAIN;)...... Pretty nice, your son has a practically "new" car now.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I hope those later 2.5s hold up better than the early 05-07 ones. Still would suck to have to change engines every 100K or so because of a crap chain. :(

VW should have kept the old 2.slo with a BELT IMHO.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Thank you all for providing feedback and comments while I worked my way through this swap.

I still have to replace the body transaxle mount (has a lot of play in it). A bunch of wiring runs over it, so I hope I have the clearance to get it removed without a major undertaking. Also for good measures I will replace the three on each side ball joint retaing nuts (to the control arm), since I removed them to free the drive axles stuck underneath the transaxle flanges. Bentley is not real clear on if the nuts must be replaced. In two procedures listed to remove them (control arm removal and ball joint replacement) there is no mention of "must replace", but on the diagram of the front suspension, a caption next to these nuts says "always replace". Parts should arrive Wednesday and I'll hopefully have the car ready for him to pick up Thursday. I'd like to put a few miles on it to make sure everything I installed will hold together (like the coolant hose couplers). I only drove the car about 2 miles so far and idled it for over half an hour charging the A/C. But I did get the engine to operating temperature.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just make sure you "remind" your son not to pop the clutch in reverse to start car in reverse EVER AGAIN;)...... Pretty nice, your son has a practically "new" car now.
I think he learned this. I actually would have thought running the engine backwards would not have damaged it either, but I would not have done it because I know it would not start.

Yes. The body is not in bad shape either. There are a few small dents along one rocker panel. Other than that, its pretty clean. Transaxle is nice and tight too. It has new brake pads, but the previous owner simply installed pads and the rotors were not changed.

I changed all the fluids and filters too.

This car has electric power steering. It was a blessing not to have to disconnect the p/s hydraulic lines when pulling the engine.

--Nate

volksman1950

TDI
2000 A4 Jetta
Bently manual shows a special adaptor tool that bolts to the bottom of the engine. I guess this is attached to a jack or transmission jack? Anyone use a transmission jack to drop the engine and trans?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Bently manual shows a special adaptor tool that bolts to the bottom of the engine. I guess this is attached to a jack or transmission jack? Anyone use a transmission jack to drop the engine and trans?
It would work better than a floor jack.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Remember, in the VW shop the car will be on a lift, probably several feet off of the floor and those fingers on the jack plate keep the engine from falling off the jack and the engine is removed from below. On jackstands I don't think you'd have the clearance to remove the engine from underneath.

--Nate

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI

That black plate unbolts and you have a flat plate to bolt on whatever you want. That OTC jack is about $4000, but HF has them much cheaper, though not as versatile.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I forgot to mention, if you take the front clip of the car off, you could probably use a floor jack under the engine and a tranny jack (a $75 Harbor Frieght one) under the transaxle and just roll the drivetrain out. I'd have a helper, though.

--Nate

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Nate, how's that engine running? Guy I know is looking at a 2008 Beetle with the 2.5 and was wondering what good/bad news you have.

dr0pthehamm3r

TDI
none yet! MK5 Jetta & GTI
man o man. what a great read. I'm looking to take some preventative action on replacing my motor with a CBTA, mainly cause its a steal of a deal and i Just hit 100k on my '06 2.5l Jetta.

this was VERY informative about my worries. I'm confident in turning a wrench to an extent but a motor swap feels a bit out of my wheel house. But I'm fairly confident I can conquer this.

I cant thank you enough for your info and insight on this.

Can I ask what Bentley CD you got for this, where and how much?

Also, hows the motor holding up, to date?

(sorry to bump such an old thread)