Auto owners. how many miles on your stock transmission?

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
92K on mine, about to do the fluid swap very soon.
what is the deal with setting to sport mode?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
92K on mine, about to do the fluid swap very soon.
what is the deal with setting to sport mode?
You recode the soft coding of the TCM. It is in DSP mode by default. DSP (Dynamic Shift Program) switches automatically between Sport and Economy, based on the driver's behavior... this is sometimes known as 'fuzzy logic'. Problem is, Germans don't really know how an automatic is supposed to work anyways, and when the DSP is enabled, the shift mapping on the 01M often gets a little disconnected feeling and erratic. Basically, DSP IMHO adds insult to injury on a transmission that is already by design predisposed to being goofy. By setting it in either Sport or Economy, based on your specific taste, the TCM will make the shift mapping behave more predictably. Otherwise, it is almost a necessity to clear the TCM's shift tables at every service to reset its fuzzy logic, or they just start to shift strange.

To me, if you drive a lot of highway and not much stop and go, putting the TCM in Economy mode works fine. If you do a lot of city, or a mixture of either, Sport mode works better. And it is not just the 01M that is like this, the 01L and 01V is like this as well. My Passat has had its TCM in Sport mode since about 1 hour after I bought it 6.5 years ago. :)

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
thanks! i will reset this weekend. is that why they sometimes seem to do some funky shifting. sort of like can't make up its mind if it wants to be in 2nd or 3rd when you are just putting along slowly? mine does that every once in a while.

turtleburger

TDI
02 jetta
105k on mine, fluid/ filter replaced at 75k. at 85k i started getting some TQ lockup clutch malfunction codes and the trans would refuse to drop into 4th intermittently. It is usually fine, but sometimes i can feel the lockup hang on too long. planning on another fluid change in 5k, plus a valve body inspection- but i expect the transaxle to grenade any day. i wish the 5spd and parts weren't so hard to source...

O'Brien

TDI
2001 TDI Golf Automatic
thanks! i will reset this weekend. is that why they sometimes seem to do some funky shifting. sort of like can't make up its mind if it wants to be in 2nd or 3rd when you are just putting along slowly? mine does that every once in a while.
Mine does this too on occasion. 165k miles. Interested to know if this might be the cause too.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
Original 01M started failing at 142,000, TCC lock malfunction and slipping. Progressively got worse, fluid turned black and I threw in the towel at 144,000. Much to my surprise, the brand new 01M shifts just as goofy as the original, mostly stupid 2->3 upshifts, and delayed D and R engagements. About 60K on the new trans, working fine in goofy mode.

I did buy VCDS, I suppose I should unwrap cable and switch over to Economy.

alloztome

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Green Jetta tdi RIP 2001 Silver Golf GLS
213,000+ on my 01 Golf. I am the 4th (or 3 1/2 owner) Tranny is fine but I agree-it is "goofy". When cold it hesitates going into D and R. Undecided about when to shift to 2nd and 3rd. If I back into a space, then put it in park it is hard to shift into D when I start it again so I usually put it in D and move it forward a bit before I put it in P. It has been this way for the 2 years I've owned it. AFAIK never serviced and my guru told me not to touch it, but to plan for When it goes because it will.

Don't really know what I'll do when it does.

oliverv

TDI
2000 Jetta
I'm coming up on 475 000 kms (295 000 miles) on the original 01m as far as I know in my 2000 Jetta. I've had no troubles at all since I bought it 2 years ago. Any way of telling if the tranny has been replaced? I bought it from a mechanic so it has always been maintained.

jmcnorvell

TDI
2001 Golf MkIV
2001 Golf 60k and auto trans is shot! VW auth dealer topped off fluid with "Penzoil" ATF, changed timing belt as preventative care and installed 4 teeth off!! Blew motor when my wife and kids were in rush hour (busy and fast) traffic. They replaced the entire head cam etc. turbo pipe blew off day after head was replaced. Trans died 1 week after they fixed the turbo pipe. They refused to fix the transmission or even try to find the problem. VW America washed their hands of the issue.
I will never take a vehicle to a VW Dealer shop. Find a good independant and never look back.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
180k here on a Y2K silver beetle. Running quite good but very slight flare in 2-3 but not always. It's never been serviced. I'm tempted to have it done, but then I have read of failures following servicing of these transmissions so I guess I am practicing the "don't fix it if it ain't broke" approach.

mistanfo

TDI
Jetta, 03, Reflex Silver
159xxx on ours. Occasional slippage. I have to ask, what RPMs are typical at 60MPH indicated (which would tell me if there is any additional slippage).

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
96K on my '02 jetta wagon. Just serviced it and all looks good inside. Transmission working perfectly.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I bought a Jetta TDI 2001 from a neighbor to part out and the auto transmission worked fine at car's end of life, ~220K miles.

dps50

TDI
2001 Jetta
195k. It's slipping a little. Under load going up a hill in 3 or 4 it will shimmy/shake slightly. It's gonna grenade pretty soon I suspect. Gonna milk it for as long as I can.

sundownz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Some of the high mileage units in here give me hope ! :) Bought mine with a broken auto and put a used unit in with 143k (all new fluid and filter when installed).

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
got rid of my 01 01M Jetta when it started acting up thesecodne time, first rebuild was at 190,000 km traded her in at 351,000 when it started to slip in first and not shift to second.