flakes on oil filter

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
A few OCs ago, i noticed the filter had some "flakes" on it near the top. Next go-round, I noticed the inside wall of the oil filter housing looked like it had paint peeling from it. I stuffed a rag in there and wiped it out best I could. Next OC, all seemed OK. Is this normal?

BTW, the flakes were black and filmy. the flakes in the pic show a lot of reflection.

Later,

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I am not sure what that is - but it does not look good. Have never had any thing like it in a new engine. Somebody left trash in your engine - a part wrapper maybe.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
I though maybe some kind of packaging from the prior filter, but they were not plastic-y or anything. They just kind of pulled apart, really like almost dried paint. Looked more like the oil just caked/baked onto the oil filter chamber wall and flaked off.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
not likely its oil - maybe a glue film.

I had a bearing wrapper in a Kubota once - but I did not find in filter - eventually it balled up and pressed on a seal and caused a leak.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
Possibly RTV Gasket sealer. Just another guess to add to the list of possibilities. Have you done any oil analysis? How many miles on this engine?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
it looks like the OEM sealant used in various places in the engine. somebody went crazy with it. I would drop the oil pan and check the oil -pickup screen

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh god your right - that phit could be all over the screen - naaaaaaaa - it will break up - he should report it to VW dealer and send pic with letter to VWoA, cover your bass.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
nutdriver said:
Possibly RTV Gasket sealer. Just another guess to add to the list of possibilities. Have you done any oil analysis? How many miles on this engine?
The original sealants would be rubbery and not break apart like almost dried paint.

Not metal according to the description, but to look at how much metal you are making, cut a section out of the filter and squeeze it in a vise. I have read here of people saying to just drain it for a few days and I have looked at filters that had drained for a few days and saw nothing. After squeezing most of the oil out of them in a vice, bits of metal were visible. This is on every filter I have ever looked at: a few, small bits of metal in the filter.

If you still have it around, how does it react to brake cleaner? Will it break down into tiny particles?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
more like a water base glue - spread in a film - it peeled up. A wrapper similar to cellophane.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
wjdell said:
more like a water base glue - spread in a film - it peeled up. A wrapper similar to cellophane.
OP says it appears to have come from the wall of the filter housing. Possibly a coating that didn't adhere very well?

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
There should be no coating inside of the oil filter housing? Looks like mine is just bare aluminum...

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
i found an old sandwich in a wrapper in the oil pan of a rabbit from the factory ,after oil light came on! point is remove oil pan and inspect,

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Oh I have a good one: What oil are you using? If it is Elf perhaps they forgot to strain out some small bits of clothing left over at the factory where they cold press the elves?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Slave2school said:
Oh I have a good one: What oil are you using? If it is Elf perhaps they forgot to strain out some small bits of clothing left over at the factory where they cold press the elves?
That's just sick. :D

docvb

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI north sea green, bone stock and loving it!
Best Quote Ever

Slave2school said:
the_Best_Quote_Ever 2007