Seat adjustment - gone!

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Yesterday I slid my drivers seat forward an extra notch or two to securly hold an item behind me.
Today I've got no ratch like mechnisim that clicks the seat as you slide it forward & back leaving me reaching for the pedals. What has occured under my seat, and how do I fix it?
Thanks

mel72349

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle manual
A possible fix

The handle on the lower-front of the seat attaches to a cable held against the back of the handle assembly by a small plastic collar. The cable in turn, pulls a latching pin on the front-center track-slider assembly. It's the same principle as with motorcycle cables.

Most probably, the plastic collar broke, allowing the cable to shift from its seated position. I had the same problem with a GTI seat I installed in my NB. I fixed mine by securing the cable against the handle with some tie-wraps and rubber donuts. As long as the cable sits against the handle properly, it will pull the pin. So far, no more problems. You might be able to purchase a replacement cable from a dealer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Took a look at the cable arrangment under both seats, and both behave in the same way in that pulling the handle move the other end. What I think what is occuring is that the what teh cable pulls on is not sitting back into what it should be. Does anyone have a blow up / cut away diagram of this area?

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Mel, thanks for the pics, it makes things clearer.
I think I'll try removing the cable completely and looking for damage
that is preventing it from popping back in.