Won't Start- Need suggestions

99jettaBT

Won\'t Start- Need suggestions

Hi,
I need some help getting my car running again.
I have checked the FAQ, but am not sure what is next.
Here is the story.
99.5 Jetta TDI, 56k miles, no recent repairs before failure, original timing belt.

Was not driving, but it stalled, and suspect it was ran out of fuel. Afterwards, put in several gallons of fuel, but will not run. Changed fuel filter, pulled fuel through the return side with MityVac, still see some air bubbles. Refilled pump, and filter with fuel.
Loosened lines at injectors, all seem to be getting pressure. Cranks ok, starter solenoid seems to make an extra noise when stopping cranking. Battery recharged several times. Hooked a test light to the fuel cutoff solenoid and noticed that when cranking, sometimes the fuel cutoff solenoid was powering off, so replaced relay 109. Check engine light, and glow plug light come on when key is on, and the fuel cutoff solenoid remains powered. Timing belt passes visual check, still in place, and has tension. Anti-Shudder Valve at EGR is not stuck. Compression checked cyl. 1-4 500,500,500,475. Still no start.
What is the next likely cause, and how to prove?
-Starter damaged and running too slow?
-Injection pump damaged by running dry, and can't build enough pressure?
-Other?
Thanks for the help.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Re: Won\'t Start- Need suggestions

Possible the TBelt jumped time. Even though you're under 60k miles, that belt is getting a bit elderly.

Also possible the starter/battery isn't providing enough RPM to allow start. Could try roll starting it.

You said "all seem to be getting pressure". Does this mean fuel is coming out?

99jettaBT

I will check to see if the belt is off a tooth.
If I loosen the lines going into the injectors, and crank the engine, plenty of fuel comes out from all four.
thanks

99jettaBT

Still won't start. New starter, charged battery. Pump timing verified, took out injector 1 and observed fuel on tip. Checked for codes and have 3 Faults Found that are persistent:

17762 - Modulating Piston Movement Sensor (G149): Electrical Malfunction

P1354 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached

P1562 - 35-00 - -

17971 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Lower Limit Reached

P1563 - 35-00 - -

Did resistance measurements on pump and pin 1-2, and 2-3 are at 5.7 ohms. Pin 5,6 qty adjuster measures .7 ohm.
What are the pin numbers at the ecm connector?

It sounds like if the ecm harness is good, then the ECM is bad?

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white

have you check your ecu power supply "relay 109"? have you replaced with a new one?. the old 99.5 and some 2000oem are defected. go to the dealer and get one it is around $20. good luck. it is located under neeed the dash.

99jettaBT

Yep, relay 109 is new, and the fuel cutoff valve has 12 volts.

99jettaBT

Question is if the ECM is causing the G149 Fault and the Qty adjuster faults, would the ECM then cut off power to the fuel cutoff to prevent the engine from starting? or would it start and then shut off after running 30 sec.

99jettaBT

No tuning box, thanks for the links.
I am wondering if you jumper the fuel cutoff, and it still does not start, how would the ECM shutdown the motor, unless by limiting the fuel quantity? Sounds like I should just breakdown and try the ECM.

yogijain

TDI
NB,1999, Red

Where did you buy the ECM and how much did you pay?

99jettaBT

I went with new, as I wanted the new part warranty. I plan to try and get vw to warranty under the emission control 8yr 80kmi. price is ~800 range through impex or internet dealer such as camelback VW.