www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 9th, 2017, 14:59   #1
crawdaddy
Veteran Member

Default FrostHeater for ALH

Hi
FrostHeater.com says they use Gates Brand hoses developed exclusively for these kits, which I don't believe.
They most likely used what ever make of car and model hoses and cut, if need be, to fit.
I live in Canada and dollar is pretty bad right now, so that would be $195 + shipping + duty charges + what ever else the border sticks it to us Canadians.
So my questions is can anyone with this kit, for an ALH look to see what the part #'s are for these "
exclusively made" hoses are.
Thanks
crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 15:12   #2
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
Hi
FrostHeater.com says they use Gates Brand hoses developed exclusively for these kits, which I don't believe.
They most likely used what ever make of car and model hoses and cut, if need be, to fit.
I live in Canada and dollar is pretty bad right now, so that would be $195 + shipping + duty charges + what ever else the border sticks it to us Canadians.
So my questions is can anyone with this kit, for an ALH look to see what the part #'s are for these "
exclusively made" hoses are.
Thanks
Nothing Terry Frost said is untrue. He didn't say Gates developed them. He developed them using Gates hoses nice that he did that footwork for you.
I guess it sucks living in Canada with "duty charges + what ever else the border sticks it to us Canadians." If you want a complete proven and engineered coolant heater for your car ....well Terry Frost be the man. You are asking for someone to crawl around under their car and spell it out for you so you can reverse engineer it. That ain't gonna be me!
What is it worth to you to have a nice warm car and if you encounter any problems with the install Terry will be just a phone call away and more than willing to assist you. The free M&Ms are just a nice way of him saying thank-you.

There are other threads here on how to cobble together a coolant heater for your car I suggest you do a search and then you are on your own.
Best regards,
Michael

Last edited by MichaelB; December 9th, 2017 at 19:33.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 17:32   #3
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Dunno what you do for a living, OP, but I wonder how you'd feel about a thread where people were asking how to cut you out of the picture because of an unfavorable exchange rate.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 17:50   #4
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

^^This.
Old December 9th, 2017, 18:26   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

>has money to buy parts for a car he owns.
>complains about the economical status of his countries currency
ITS CALLED "Buy once Cry once"
get over it
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 18:05   #6
Beaker80

Crawdaddy; I feel your pain. I too am a Canadian and I agree with you about all the additional charges we have to bare if we want anything from the US. I was looking into the Frostheater for my (new to me) 2006 Golf BEW TDI but went a DIY direction by searching this forum and using Google to find what hoses and heater people were using. I settled on a series 8000 Zerostart 1500 watt heater (3308003) with the check valve removed. Some straight 5/8" heater rated hose to go from the OHE to the bottom of the Zerostart and a molded Gates 18785 hose to go from the top of the heater back to the line previously from the OHE. And a 5/8" brass union. I bought the heater and brass fitting at Canadian Tire and used 27.00 of saved up Canadian Tire "money" to reduce the cost. The Gates hose came from an auto parts store as well as the straight 5/8" line. I have about 120.00 CDN invested and about an hour of my time to get the parts. I don't mind a bit of fab work. Remember this for a BEW engine.

Yes you can buy from Frostheater.com and that's a great option for some. But everything is available locally if you're willing to do the research and leg-work.

Someone should start a Canukheater North company!!!
Beaker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 16:44   #7
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

I bought a ZeroStart heater unit at a fleet store and fabbed the rest out of whatever I had on hand or could scrounge up. Been working great for over ten years.
Maybe some of the crazy import fees helps pay for the socialized healthcare system up north, I don't know.
But, it was all spelled out many years ago in old threads as to what parts/hoses to make up your own "homemade" kit.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote