www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 10th, 2017, 09:46   #211
Keli_OR
Veteran Member

Default Looking for elusive 6 mt Sportwagen

I find myself back in the hunt of looking for a 2015 Sportwagen. I have loved my 01 Jetta for 260k miles and am ready for the next phase.
Unfortunately I don't have unlimited finances so I'm hoping the prices stay reasonable as more inventory hits the market.
Any advice and information would be most welcome. I'm on the fence about a sunroof but really want those heated seats!
Black '15 Golf Sportwagen SE "Ms.Noir"

Last edited by Keli_OR; December 10th, 2017 at 09:52. Reason: Added informatio
Keli_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:21   #212
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keli_OR View Post
I find myself back in the hunt of looking for a 2015 Sportwagen. I have loved my 01 Jetta for 260k miles and am ready for the next phase.
Unfortunately I don't have unlimited finances so I'm hoping the prices stay reasonable as more inventory hits the market.
Any advice and information would be most welcome. I'm on the fence about a sunroof but really want those heated seats!

........... I saw one on CARS.COM ---- Do you own search on wide area
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:31   #213
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

If you want heated seats you'll have to settle for a sunroof. I hate both so the S was the best option for me. Prices have come down since the sales of bought back cars started, but manuals are still hard to find, if that's what you're after.

Whatever you find, I wouldn't buy sight-unseen. Some of these cars were better cared for than others, not surprisingly. Look before buying.
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:07   #214
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post

Whatever you find, I wouldn't buy sight-unseen. Some of these cars were better cared for than others, not surprisingly. Look before buying.

I have seen "services" that will do an on sight evaluation of a particular car. .... pricey ? ~~ Reliable ?

..... I once bought a 6,500 mile, 9 month old car from a hospital bed. 2003 Camry. Stillwater Toyota dealer. Sight unseen. Did not see the car for 'bout 14 days. Wife wrote a check. No issues.

NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:40   #215
Keli_OR
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you want heated seats you'll have to settle for a sunroof. I hate both so the S was the best option for me. Prices have come down since the sales of bought back cars started, but manuals are still hard to find, if that's what you're after.

I really want the manual. I haven't test driven a dsg yet and I may need to "settle" for one to get into my price range.
And I must say I appreciate my heated seats more and more the older my bones get...
Good advice on buying local.
The closest manual is about 800 miles away.
Old December 10th, 2017, 12:07   #216
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Electric heated seats were the whole reason we got the Golf SE.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 12:25   #217
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Funny how people feel about heated seats. I have two cars with heated seats, and I've never turned them on. I hate them. Good thing, as I wouldn't want the pano roof in a GSW. The previous gen roofs were trouble-prone, and there's no indication that the current ones are much better.
Old December 10th, 2017, 13:38   #218
Keli_OR
Veteran Member

I am unclear about the warranty offered on these used vehicles. I have read about the 11yr/162k warranty but can't wrap my head about what it covers, which cars and whether it's transferrable.
If I end up going with the pano roof, I probably need a warranty.
Old December 10th, 2017, 14:48   #219
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I would sell my 2015 Jetta SEL loaded up with Stick shift wouldn’t be cheap though
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!

Last edited by tomo366; December 12th, 2017 at 12:46.
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 17:23   #220
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Funny how people feel about heated seats. I have two cars with heated seats, and I've never turned them on. I hate them. Good thing, as I wouldn't want the pano roof in a GSW. The previous gen roofs were trouble-prone, and there's no indication that the current ones are much better.

I LOVE the heated seats - but I HATE sunroofs !! If I could get the heated seats without the sunroof, it would be this side of heaven.

The Beetle has been a constant source of problems with it getting clogged up and consequently getting the floor wet. The Heated seats are a godsend with how slow the ALH warms up - and it just feels GOOD on the Golf ! The Golf hasn't shown the same problems YET -

Our Beetle was the first car we got that had them - and that first winter convinced us in short order how nice they were.
scooperhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 18:57   #221
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
I LOVE the heated seats - but I HATE sunroofs !! If I could get the heated seats without the sunroof, it would be this side of heaven.

The Beetle has been a constant source of problems with it getting clogged up and consequently getting the floor wet. The Heated seats are a godsend with how slow the ALH warms up - and it just feels GOOD on the Golf ! The Golf hasn't shown the same problems YET -

Our Beetle was the first car we got that had them - and that first winter convinced us in short order how nice they were.
I'm in FL and use my seat heaters everyday, lol. The sunroof, yea in the 7+ years we have owned our 2010 Jetta TDI I think I can count on my hand how many times we've used it between the both of us.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:12   #222
The Tortoise
Veteran Member

Thankfully the Canadian "S" (Trendline) models came with heated seats. Ottawa is a fair bit colder than Boston so I will use them all winter.
The Tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:23   #223
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post

My 2015 Beetle has heated seats and no sunroof. The extra dash gauges and paddle shifters too. But is not the high end model.
Old December 11th, 2017, 07:37   #224
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keli_OR View Post
I am unclear about the warranty offered on these used vehicles. I have read about the 11yr/162k warranty but can't wrap my head about what it covers, which cars and whether it's transferrable.
If I end up going with the pano roof, I probably need a warranty.

The extended warranty is only for the engine and emissions equipment. The only way your sunroof will be covered is if the cars has any of the original 3/36 bumper to bumper factory warranty left.

Also, the warranty on the 15s is either 11yr/162k miles or 5yr/60k miles from the fix mileage. Although phase 1 and phase 2 are both listed for 5 yr/60k miles, I imagine that the phase 2 fix renders the phase 1 warranty period null and void.

From the VW Q&A:
The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” will apply to all vehicles that receive an Approved Emissions Modification, and will cover all replaced components that are part of the Approved Emissions Modification, any component that reasonably could be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification, and the engine subassembly. The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty also provides for a loaner vehicle if emissions warranty service will last longer than 3 hours.
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period for 2009-2014 model year vehicles will be the greater of:
(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resal, in which case from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale, or
(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first).
For 2015 model year vehicles, the warranty period will be the greater of:
(a) 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
(b) 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:37   #225
DieselMann99
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashed Ixnay View Post
I'm in FL and use my seat heaters everyday, lol.
You do ??

Gee, you must have worn a down jacket, a down vest, gloves, a scarf, and two sweaters, when the temps got into the 40's recently.

I lived in Fla for 14 years and NEVER used the heated seats, and ran the heat in the house maybe twice in 14 years.
DieselMann99 is offline   Reply With Quote