www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old July 25th, 2017, 12:30   #451
Apothecia

Fuel Economy: 38/42 (26/30 twoing the A-frame)

These are all great suggestions. Thank you!
Apothecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 16:02   #452
dhangejr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 49 high 44 mix average

I am wondering if anyone has used moog springs in the last year?

all the previous catalog discussion about rock auto seems to not exist.

Im weary that the moogs will give any lift as no store (online) can confirm that these are for a wagon specifically. Will be checking locally soon.

moreover, I found two 2002 wagons at the local pick n pull one had 1.8t the other 2.0 and one had two silver and three green springs while the other had two brown and one green. I can't find any info about these.
dhangejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 16:03   #453
dhangejr
Veteran Member

I asked about the three green two silver before and one person said "there is no reason to think they would not provide a lift" but there is no other conformation.

Id rather just buy new from IPD that guarantee 1.5' lift for $99 vs the 50$ its gonna cost at pick and pull on a Saturday with the blond working. lol
Old August 12th, 2017, 20:27   #454
JohnTso
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42

I put MOOG VR6 springs - front & rear - on my Mk4 Jetta and I'm very happy with them. I got them from RA lat last year. My car definitely sits higher, but the OE springs were shot.

I posted pictures under the title of Desert Jetta reveal.
JohnTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 21:39   #455
dhangejr
Veteran Member

Yes I have seen that. I think I might try and new moog springs in the 1 inch spacer
Old November 17th, 2017, 17:34   #456
dhangejr
Veteran Member

Well, still researching , I'm a week away from going up , waiting on the front TC's in the mail. (Less than 100$ at FCP BTW)

Anyway, my research has led me to some interesting data
How to get spring rate WITH OUT a machine!

Here is the formula and an explanation

http://www.bluecoilspring.com/rate.htm

I believe it's accurate because two white and one green is 154 lbs (fronts) according to common data form vw gurus. And my calculations with fast measurements got me about 141.3lbs. Very close enough to say there's a small margin of error.

Maybe someone needs this? I wish I had those different color rear wagon springs I found and was wondering f about. I imagine th
Old December 9th, 2017, 17:59   #457
dhangejr
Veteran Member

Ok, so I went up finally. Im up about 30" in the rear and 29.5 up front.

My rear end is making a metal on metal rattle. I don't think its shots toping out they are extended. Im damn frustrated. I don't wield nor do I have any friends who will help me.

A few weeks ago I found someone who said they were using a bilistean rear shock that was extended but was not designed for MK4's. Now I can't find it. I think (based on my internet search history) it might be BILSTEIN 33-230351

can anyone confirm this or has anyone read this?

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...e=lift&cat=500

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...e=lift&cat=500
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:28   #458
jmodge
Veteran Member

Mine rattled when I put Moog wagon springs in also. Only the right side and I found after twisting it to match where the left was seated it quit.
Old December 12th, 2017, 08:23   #459
dhangejr
Veteran Member

I took my shackles off and the problem is gone. Now the shocks are maxed out.
The tears a bit hop happy. I'm going to get wagon struts prolly koni reds . First I'll call IPD and ask for measurements of the various wagon struts they have. I want good travel on dirt FS and BLM roads
Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:44   #460
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

So after reading this thread multiple times, I am at a loss of what to buy. I don't want to use spacers in the front if I can avoid it, so should I dish out the extra money for the Suplex VR6 front springs and the wagon rear springs? Granted the Suplex springs are almost three-times the cost of the "regular" VR6 front springs, but if I can get 1-1/2" without spacers and negatively affecting the alignment geometry, I can figure out the rear final height after the suspension settles, right? Thanks in advance.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 13:16   #461
hey_allen
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, there were spacers available from the factory, based on some of the parts diagrams that I've seen.
They were only around 10mm thick, but I suspect that it won't mess with the geometry all that much to use a larger one, as long as you align it after whatever work you do.
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 13:34   #462
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Ride height changes geometry, whether it's achieved with or without spacers. MKIV cars will have less negative camber when raised. A 2" lift makes camber slightly positive on most cars. Not noticeable in normal driving, and won't have an impact on tire wear.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 13:40   #463
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

IBW, thank you. So after my car gets lifted by a new set of springs, will that make it unable to get aligned to factory specs? I guess if it won't affect tire wear then it is a no-worry kind of thing?
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Old February 22nd, 2018, 13:48   #464
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Default IPD Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhangejr View Post
I asked about the three green two silver before and one person said "there is no reason to think they would not provide a lift" but there is no other conformation.

Id rather just buy new from IPD that guarantee 1.5' lift for $99 vs the 50$ its gonna cost at pick and pull on a Saturday with the blond working. lol
Who/where is IPD? The only IPD I saw is Volvo specific.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 15:16   #465
dhangejr
Veteran Member

You can use jeep springs to get to 3"
Jk fronts up front
Xj fronts in the rear

I remember seeing most people using suplex fronts still needed to stack two 10mm spacers to get level with the rear towing springs.